Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

ACD Reflashing/ Tuning. whos tried it etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by psushoe
Btw, not doubting your pressure logs, just trying to compare your findings with my general experience tuning my own car. Mine is based on car behavior change vs a change I made ina table. What did you use to log pressure? A sensor in the hydraulic line?
Actually I am not contradicting you, the way mitsu system works is a bit different to what people expect.. it looks like the system is not about optimising ultimate traction, but rather works during requested direction (yaw) change. So steady state at set steering will bring open diffs, change in steering angle will bring about diff lock.

I am looking to post some logs and you will see what I mean.

we logged solenoid current with evoscan, and other thinhs, such as speed, G lateral and accel/decel, brake switch state, steering angle and steering speed. It is the steering speed input that usually brings the largest change in solenoid current.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
Actually I am not contradicting you, the way mitsu system works is a bit different to what people expect.. it looks like the system is not about optimising ultimate traction, but rather works during requested direction (yaw) change. So steady state at set steering will bring open diffs, change in steering angle will bring about diff lock.

I am looking to post some logs and you will see what I mean.

we logged solenoid current with evoscan, and other thinhs, such as speed, G lateral and accel/decel, brake switch state, steering angle and steering speed. It is the steering speed input that usually brings the largest change in solenoid current.
In theory, stead state/steering/speed you want open diffs so you're not dragging or pushing any one tire. Letting them all rotate freely at the speed they need to given corner radius would allow optimal grip.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
^ steady state equal some amt of throttle? if so i'd think you'd want a little bit of torque to the outside wheels?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
^ steady state equal some amt of throttle? if so i'd think you'd want a little bit of torque to the outside wheels?
yes, and you get more tq to the outside at higher speed/throttle.. I will post the log tonight..
Old Jan 29, 2018, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
...if you have ayc. Usdm ct9a's can't do that.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

isn't that exactly what clutch lsds do?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
isn't that exactly what clutch lsds do?
No, AYC actually has left/right torque vectoring. A clutch LSD just progressively locks the axles together as torque input goes up.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
No, AYC actually has left/right torque vectoring. A clutch LSD just progressively locks the axles together as torque input goes up.
not talking about torque vectoring specifically - i'm talking about sending torque to the outside rear wheel, which is what a clutch lsd does. sends torque to the wheel that has more grip, which is the outside wheel. it may not be electronically controlled, but the net result of "attempting" to bind together two wheels going different speeds with different loads is that - if it's not that, something else is causing my rear outside wheel to propel the car forward - as evo x owners riding in my car have noted
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

locking the rear diff just makes the inside and outside rear tire try to equallise their speed. Normally that would induce understeer unless you seriously unload the rear inside tire, which is something you usually do with a stiff rear ARB
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by psushoe
...if you have ayc. Usdm ct9a's can't do that.
sure, I was just commenting on what I noticed while testing..
Old Jan 30, 2018, 04:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
unfortunately ER cant help me since i have AYC. Been talking to a couple guys in the UK and they offer the service. lost 5th gear dog ring this weekend racing so repairing that before next round in 2 weeks then ill pull trigger on a tuned ayc diff ecu and see what differences we get!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

locking the rear diff just makes the inside and outside rear tire try to equallise their speed. Normally that would induce understeer unless you seriously unload the rear inside tire, which is something you usually do with a stiff rear ARB
depends on the diff. correct me if I'm wrong here, clutch diffs Rey to equalize torque as opposed to a speed sensitive diff. both rear wheels receive the same amount of power, but the inside rear travels less and the outside rear wheel receives the extra torque.

while this is moot/not really about steady state cornering with little throttle, if what you were saying we're true lsds would only ever create understeer until literally tires broke traction
Old Jan 30, 2018, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

depends on the diff. correct me if I'm wrong here, clutch diffs Rey to equalize torque as opposed to a speed sensitive diff. both rear wheels receive the same amount of power, but the inside rear travels less and the outside rear wheel receives the extra torque.

while this is moot/not really about steady state cornering with little throttle, if what you were saying we're true lsds would only ever create understeer until literally tires broke traction
clutch diffs will try to equalise speeds between the wheels.. it will transmit more torque to the wheel with more traction, and that depends on tires and suspension setup. Hence, it will induce initial understeer however, it doesnt mean you can not get optimal performance with suspension adjustment. There have been lots of succesful race cars running fully locked rear diffs (like porsche gr C cars and even subaru impreza WRC)..

I have a nice PDF on the subject.. should look for it..
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jan 30, 2018)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question... I know ACD Tunes are popular for AutoX, and it would seem that English Racing is the new favorite pre-set tune. What about the Time Attack and Road Race crowd? Worthwhile upgrade?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

clutch diffs will try to equalise speeds between the wheels.. it will transmit more torque to the wheel with more traction, and that depends on tires and suspension setup. Hence, it will induce initial understeer however, it doesnt mean you can not get optimal performance with suspension adjustment. There have been lots of succesful race cars running fully locked rear diffs (like porsche gr C cars and even subaru impreza WRC)..

I have a nice PDF on the subject.. should look for it..
please do.

at the risk of derailing the thread, i'm curious what the difference is in the definition then between torque-sensitive limited slips, like clutch types, and speed sensitive diffs. what you seem to be describing is a speed sensitive differential, rather than a torque sensitive differential, but the clutch is the latter.

ultimately though, the end result is i'm getting more torque to the outside rear wheel, and it doesn't require the inside wheel spinning or up in the air to do it, works for me.

i will say that, just with a rear lsd, especially with one that is 1.5 way that is acting some on decel, the car will understeer, at least off power - BUT, that the ACD tune (only the one I got from English Racing) has eliminated entry understeer while allowing the rear diff to function properly on power. I'm really happy with the setup.

re: for on track - i think it was designed really with track driving as its basis. Autox settings/more "aggressive" settings on ER's ACD tune just make the car looser on turn in. would check with ER or whomever as far as how they tune for track.

Quick Reply: ACD Reflashing/ Tuning. whos tried it etc?