Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

whos running a sequential transmisison

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Kiki, have you ridden motorcycles much? I guess down shifting through the gears seems like it would be less of an issue but I have never driven a car with one.
no, not at all, but I have driven a single seater with a hewland sequential..

I am sure sequential is not that bad, but I do often just pop the car out of 4th for example and leave it in neutral coasting to stop, especially in town.. it is easier than banging those gears down... I dont know how evo seqentials are, but that hewland nedeed a shove.. Lovely box though.. clutchless upshifts and downshifts without rev match..

I am looking to finishing my single seater, that one has gsxR 1000 power and box..

I have recently been offered a dogbox for my car and that is one of the things I need to have, to get off my bucketlist... I did try it in the car, and it looks like fun for a weekend toy, but DD... huh..
Old Feb 19, 2018, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo

I am looking to finishing my single seater, that one has gsxR 1000 power and box..

I have recently been offered a dogbox for my car and that is one of the things I need to have, to get off my bucketlist... I did try it in the car, and it looks like fun for a weekend toy, but DD... huh..
Whoa, single seat 1000cc sounds amazing. Thats something I would love to get into.

Ive been talking with Phil Rotheli about some stuff lately and was trying to figure out why it seems everyone in a well built EU car has a sequential but theyre super rare here. Seems like maybe its just availability of manufacturers there or stuff left over from WRC?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You "could" cycle through the gears in a seq, but each gear change represents wear on the dogs, and they have finite life. They do not last a long time like synchro's do.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You "could" cycle through the gears in a seq, but each gear change represents wear on the dogs, and they have finite life. They do not last a long time like synchro's do.
yeah and they like to spin when changing.. not so easy when standing still
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Whoa, single seat 1000cc sounds amazing. Thats something I would love to get into.

Ive been talking with Phil Rotheli about some stuff lately and was trying to figure out why it seems everyone in a well built EU car has a sequential but theyre super rare here. Seems like maybe its just availability of manufacturers there or stuff left over from WRC?
you should see the upright I designed for that..

I think there are some big budget builds in the EU that can accomodate 10000 GBP trnasmissions.. I am not sure those are WRC related, but more likely are either developments of grN H pattern dogboxes or some bespoke designs with possible links to rallycross..Also, lots of grN evos over here running grN dogboxes.. On your side of the pond you have a lot of experience modifying stock gearboxes for drag race, by guys like jack trans and buschur, and somehow you track racing guys went with that first... just my impression..

I dont think "normal" users can afford any WRC related gearbox.. IIRC evo 6 WRC transmission was something like 75000 GBP..
Old Feb 21, 2018, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
id say theyve probably come to the same conclusion we did. pay 10k nzd for a 5 or 6 speed H pattern dogbox and spend 5k nzd maintaining it a season. or spend 20k nzd on a sequential and spend maybe 1k maintaining it a season.

Since purchasing my dogbox 2 years ago ive spent probably 7 grand on it and i only paid 10 for it. and id be 3/4 towards a sequential by now.

Flat shifting is pretty awesome in a dogbox however. that instant power delivery and no delay between gears feels awesome haha
Old Feb 22, 2018, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
What makes maintaining a dogbox vs SEQ any different? its the same type of gear engagement.

Are you flat foot on the gas shifting, only using clutch? or are you no clutch shifting?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

with a sequential it is easy to rig up a load cell in the shift linkage and setup a ignition cut so that you can flatshift with minimal damage to the dogs. Also, if you have electronic throttle and standalone ecu you can do automatic blips too. It is even more easy on the trans if you are using paddle shifters with penumatic actuator as then you know every shift will be fast enough and at the right time.

It sounds weird but not being quick enoigh with a dogbox makes it wear quicker..

I spoke to some guys at porsche motorsport and they said that the move from manual dogbox, even manual sequential to paddleshifters on cup cars prolonged the life of the boxes by a signifficant margin..
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, thats the problem with using them on the street. They get torn up quickly if you get lazy and aren't slamming gears like you should be..
Old Feb 24, 2018, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
with a sequential it is easy to rig up a load cell in the shift linkage and setup a ignition cut so that you can flatshift with minimal damage to the dogs. Also, if you have electronic throttle and standalone ecu you can do automatic blips too. It is even more easy on the trans if you are using paddle shifters with penumatic actuator as then you know every shift will be fast enough and at the right time.

It sounds weird but not being quick enoigh with a dogbox makes it wear quicker..

I spoke to some guys at porsche motorsport and they said that the move from manual dogbox, even manual sequential to paddleshifters on cup cars prolonged the life of the boxes by a signifficant margin..
yes agreed. its not so much the difference of dogbox vs SEQ, but the electronics that remove the driver variable from the equation.

We've ran a Liberty dogbox through One Lap of America which was about 5000 street miles. was surprised at how well it actually shifted on the street. We've had the trans apart after that and the dogs still look ok. We have ran that box through a TON of abuse last year, i don't think anyone out there has tested their dogbox as much as we have. its been in 3 different evos for us, 400hp up to 700hp, street, track, drag. I can tell you more about it if you want, it hasn't came without some problems. haha