Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

King Tut's NASA TT4 / Gridlife Street Mod Evo 9 RS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Did you go to Mid Ohio this past weekend? Planning to go to Gingerman in June?

Also as far as oil pressure goes, I've got a Kiggly regulator and Tomei crank scraper, ran 1/2qt extra oil this past weekend at Gingerman. Didn't see any oil pressure drops but I was on street tires because the first three sessions were raining/wet. After things dried out I still wasn't seeing/hearing (I've got a buzzer than sounds if pressure goes under 20psi) any oil pressure drops but the real test will be when I go back again in two weeks with my slicks.
Nope and nope. I did Mid Ohio and the Midwest festival in my S2000 last year, but NASA TT4 is the primary focus. The only Gridlife event I am signed up for right now is South Festival at Road Atlanta. I'm still planning to go to Honda Meet at Gingerman and might bring the Evo and Hoosiers to see what it can do if my Civic hatch isn't ready. I have zero worry about the oil pressure.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
Nope and nope. I did Mid Ohio and the Midwest festival in my S2000 last year, but NASA TT4 is the primary focus. The only Gridlife event I am signed up for right now is South Festival at Road Atlanta. I'm still planning to go to Honda Meet at Gingerman and might bring the Evo and Hoosiers to see what it can do if my Civic hatch isn't ready. I have zero worry about the oil pressure.
I've heard other people mention honda meet but I wasn't sure if they allowed non hondas to register. If I can I'd like to try and make it out for that as well, best of luck with your TT4 races!
Old May 22, 2018, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I've heard other people mention honda meet but I wasn't sure if they allowed non hondas to register. If I can I'd like to try and make it out for that as well, best of luck with your TT4 races!
I'm signed up to instruct at Honda Meet. Not sure the Civic will be ready in time, so I will most likely bring the Evo and some Hoosier scrubs and see what it will do in my TT4 trim.
Old May 22, 2018, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Another NASA NOLA region weekend in the books. It was my first weekend not on unknown Hoosier scrubs as I corded them at my last event. I went with my fresh 18x9.5 +27 Enkei NT03+Ms and 245/40/18 Hoosier R7 stickers. They fit well with a 5mm spacer up front to clear the Brembos as normal. A little rub in the rear, so I will probably roll those fenders a little more. They fit the NASA 266mm template very easily almost too easily and makes me wonder about an 18x10 with this tire. With that being said they felt great, but again this was my first time on sticker R7s on this car. I did a gradual warm up of them as Hoosier recommends on Saturday which I hoped would be enough for the win, but Dysen in his S2000 put on his 225 A7s on his 17x10s for the last session on Saturday and got me by 4 tenths. I didn't run because I wanted to let the stickers rest for 24 hours, and I knew the corded scrubs wouldn't be fast enough.

Sunday was a new day and we only had the first session to set a good laptime before the brutal heat started so Dysen and I gridded up right next to each other and went for it. He made a few mistakes and probably didn't leave enough gap, and I caught him on lap 2 and got the win by 5 tenths and the track record. Here are the laps:

Up next is Honda Meet most likely. I am tempted to head to Sebring to run with NASA Florida in June as well and then NASA Mid South at Barber Motorsports Park in July before Gridlife South at Road Atlanta in August.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Awesome! I'm not sure I'll be able to make it for driving but I'll probably at least come spectate!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

So I didn't make it to Honda Meet or to Sebring. I did however make it to the NASA Mid South event at Barber Motorsports Park. It was a nice relaxing weekend taking an easy win by over 5 seconds each day. It was also nice to be out there competing with another Evo as Adam made the trip out in his TT3 Evo. Everything went as well as it could have. I decided to target a 39 for the weekend as I had gone a 38 in my TT3 S2000 in similar hot conditions. I only had to put three heat cycles on my good NASA 266mm legal R7s. I set my 1:39.2 laptime in the first session Sunday morning, and here is the video:

Up next is Gridlife South Festival at Road Atlanta where I plan to throw the E85 tune, front canards, rear diffuser, and carpet in the car to let her eat in the Street Modified AWD class.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well my first Gridlife Track Battle event of the year went pretty well. I got 2nd out of 12 losing to Sally in her WRX. The car was fast enough to beat her, but I just couldn't get my fast right after all the crashes of the weekend. It's weird because normally that isn't an issue for me. I ran E85 on my stock turbo. Didn't dyno it, but I figure it was 375 whpish. My fastest lap was a 1:34.9 hitting 136 mph on the back straight at Road Atlanta. I tried out both the RE71R and the A052 both in 255/35/18 sizes on my Enkei NT03+M 18x9.5 wheels. I didn't see a big difference at all between the tires. We almost destroyed two Evos in the "incident" as I like to call it of the weekend. I posted my video on Instagram and Facebook, but I haven't put it on YouTube yet. I did put up my fastest lap and here it is:

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Super intrigued by the A052, you didn't notice any real difference between them and the RE71? Were they both brand new or do they have a few heat cycles on them?

Sorry if I'm going OT.

Glad to see you didn't get tangled up in that mess.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Super intrigued by the A052, you didn't notice any real difference between them and the RE71? Were they both brand new or do they have a few heat cycles on them?

Sorry if I'm going OT.

Glad to see you didn't get tangled up in that mess.
The RE17Rs have been my street tires since I bought the car and only had 16 AutoX runs on them and probably 10,000 miles. I bought sticker A052s that I thought for sure were going to make me faster on Saturday or Sunday morning, but they didn't. I ran my fastest lap on the RE71Rs on the 2nd lap of the event. If I had it to do again I would have just bought a 2nd set of RE71Rs.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Aug 30, 2018)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

From what I read on TR I got the sense they need to be broken in some before they really start to shine. Need to get all that mold release off before you can really push them. Only sticker tires I know of that are fastest right off the shelf are ho-ho.

Can't believe you put 10k on that car already. lol That's more than Thai did in 3yrs
Old Aug 30, 2018, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt

Can't believe you put 10k on that car already. lol That's more than Thai did in 3yrs
i didn't drive the car much after i got the trailer. it's a very good daily driver if you need a dual purpose car.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
i didn't drive the car much after i got the trailer. it's a very good daily driver if you need a dual purpose car.
Funny u say that after how much trash you were talking about the Evo in Dangout this morning

Got'em
Old Aug 31, 2018, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i said Evos are ugly, didn't say they didn't drive nice. hence i owned two.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

If it still had A/C like my S2000 does it would at least be as good a track/street car. It's almost fall where the 2x55 A/C will start to work better.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

I had another easy NASA NOLA weekend 2 weekends ago. I ran the minimum number of sessions and put the minimum number of heat cycles on my Hoosier R7s while taking the track record and winning Hoosiers both days. The car felt really good and is setup really well for this configuration of the NOLA track we call the NOVAL due to a few corners separating two long straights. As my car is the heaviest TT4 car it also has the most power which helped in this config. I ran a 1:16.4 which is less than a second slower than my TT3 track record in my turbo S2000 of a 1:15.5. I cancelled my dreams of a NASA Championship at CotA, and I regretted it badly this weekend although I don't think I could have beaten the fastest of the S54 powered dominating BMW E36 and E46s. NASA Southeast needed some instructors for this coming weekend, so I am heading over as I never even got over to run Roebling Road Raceway in my S2000. I haven't run it since my SpecE30 days in probably 2014ish. Not sure I am going to have anything for Joel Morrison's 1:18.1 track record in TT4, but I am going to give it a go. Here is my video from 2 weekends ago:

Quick Reply: King Tut's NASA TT4 / Gridlife Street Mod Evo 9 RS