Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AutoX suspension abuse

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AutoX suspension abuse

Hello guys,

I've been doing autocross with my evo 8 for a couple years now, slowly upgrading along the way and I've come to a cross roads.

Setup a month ago:
245/40/17 Hankook RS-3's
8k/10k JIC's FLT-A2's
RSB, RCK, poly bushings
3*F 1.5*R Camber, 0 toe
Power/tq: 400/400

Car was still lacking grip all around for the power so I made the jump to 275 slicks (c71 hankooks), tightened up the sways, the shocks, put 10k springs in rear, and hoped that would be enough stiffness for the time being. it wasn't. blew the shocks on my first run out with the 275's . (though the grip improvement was amazing!)

So where do I go from here?
Don't have +2k to spend on DFW's, KW3's, 510's, etc.
If I run some 14k rainbow coilovers, I will probably be replacing them every few months.
I do have a set of MR Billsteins with Swift springs but they're about half as stiff as I need. (also have FSB awaiting the grueling install)

I definitely went too far too fast with the tire upgrade but now that I am here, waist deep in expensive hardly-resellable tires, I need to make a plan to get back on the path of righteousness.

Keeping in mind this decision is budget minded, do I:
1. sell the tires for a loss and step down to a 275 DOT
2. OEM Billsteins and Swift Springs are durable enough, send it!
3. stop racing, sell the evo, takeup knitting.
4. other
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 16, 2018)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 09:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, Thanks for posting up I moved your thread here, where the guys will help out w/some opinion

The following users liked this post:
SilviaVsSupra (Apr 16, 2018)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Get the JIC's rebuilt. Blowing a shock had nothing to do with the tire change, probably just due to age.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you think you're shocks blew due to the tires? What class are you competing in?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 01:17 PM

Thesee JIC’s can’t be rebuilt from what I gathered, the JIC-US facility closed or something. They were second hand so no warranty (old model, too) but they were brand new. Had about 500 street miles on them before the autoX

Not blaming the tires necessarily, but
maybe the straw that broke the camels back. This autoX course is not flat, it’s got dips and crests throughout.. pretty rough going thru a dip when the car is already loaded and on the Bumpstops. Prior to this I mated a set of bumpstops with top seals (my stock strut setup due to this same course/abuse).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 01:21 PM

Car class is XP... bought the car with cams, got into autoX afterwards
Old Apr 16, 2018, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Again, tires had nothing to do with it. Sure you course seems abusive. But that's just wear and tear. So, the damper finally gave out.

Putting bilstiens and some lowering springs on this car with slicks sounds like a terrible idea. Not enough spring rate, and not enough damper. Car is going to be a body roll night mare and will just have handling issues. You can get Ohlin's RT's for a very good price from Performance Shock. They can revalve on initial purchase and still sell them to you for below retail.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I had the same problem when trying to get my ASTs rebuilt. Vorshlag didn't even repair them anymore but he sent me to Maxcyspeed & Company in McKinney, TX. Not sure if he could help in your situation but it's worth a shot. https://maxcyspeedco.com/pages/damper-service
Old Apr 16, 2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Again, tires had nothing to do with it. Sure you course seems abusive. But that's just wear and tear. So, the damper finally gave out.

Putting bilstiens and some lowering springs on this car with slicks sounds like a terrible idea. Not enough spring rate, and not enough damper. Car is going to be a body roll night mare and will just have handling issues. You can get Ohlin's RT's for a very good price from Performance Shock. They can revalve on initial purchase and still sell them to you for below retail.
I dont think a 3 week old shock that popped on the first run was due to wear and tear. Age (shelf life), maybe. Abuse, more likely.

Below retail is still above $2,000...

I need an option that doesn't require spending thousands of dollars.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

How is the shock 3 weeks old but there is no warranty?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Looks like he purchased them second hand...
Originally Posted by SilviaVsSupra
I dont think a 3 week old shock that popped on the first run was due to wear and tear. Age (shelf life), maybe. Abuse, more likely.

Below retail is still above $2,000...

I need an option that doesn't require spending thousands of dollars.
Sorry but racing aint a cheap sport. Can you get away with spending less money on coilovers, sure! But will they be any good and will they hold up to the abuse...well, I think you already know the answer to that. Sorry to sound harsh but this is the reality.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:02 PM

purchased second hand. 3 weeks old as in 3 weeks of actual use. Could have sat in box for years, idk.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Looks like he purchased them second hand...

Sorry but racing aint a cheap sport. Can you get away with spending less money on coilovers, sure! But will they be any good and will they hold up to the abuse...well, I think you already know the answer to that. Sorry to sound harsh but this is the reality.
yes, thank you for the wisdom lol

I am not out there to be competitive yet, just want to have fun and work on my driving skills. I definitely bit off more than I could chew with the slicks, I know.

Old Apr 16, 2018, 04:14 PM

Starting to think that selling the slicks for a loss and going back to street tires is the way to go. The grip is amazing but if I can’t afford the supporting mods than it’s counterproductive to my agenda of learning and having fun. I’m not competing, I may get FTD at a local event but I’m seconds off the Nat XP guys so it’s all just for fun, I can sacrifice some performance for durability.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:13 AM

What kind of life expectancy should I be expecting on the various coilovers out there? All things considered; autocross 2x/month, relatively rough surface, car mods listed above... I'm considering putting the slicks on the shelf until I can put the funds toward a decent coilover.

How significant of an impact is the street driving (decent roads)? I'm also considering retiring the Evo from daily duties, if street abuse is going to take a significant toll on the more expensive coilovers.

Obviously there is no one single answer but I am looking for a ball park of what to expect. Will the Ohlins last me ~2 years for just autoX and ~6 months if I daily it, before needing rebuild?

Quick Reply: AutoX suspension abuse