Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone running 18x9.5+35 RPF1’s?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running 18x9.5+35 RPF1’s?

I’m looking into picking up a set of 18x9.5+38 RPF1’s and was interested in the safety aspect of wheel spacers during HPDE track days. I have a set of basically new 18” PS4’s that I’m throwing on to mitigate the initial costs while trying to move to a lighter wheel, that’s the reason for the setup. I’d love a set of premium wheels without spacers but the thought of destroying them on an off-road excursion scares me to push it.

Anyone running this setup or a similar setup on quality spacers that might have insight? Car is semi stock body with rolled front fenders and cut/flush lips on the rear. The +15 RPF1’s are just too wide and I have commitment issues with major body modifications.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Wheel spacers are just fine, and necessary on the Evo if running wide setups. Can either run a bolt on spacer or extended studs and slip on spacer. In my case, the slip on with extended studs was 1.3lbs lighter than bolt on. YMMV.

As for the wheels, Id go with the 18x10s. Theyre more common, will support future wider setups, should have better Evo resale, You need a 18mm spacer up front on the 18x10 +38 RPF1s. The PF01 in 18x10.5 doesn't need any spacer to clear the brakes but does need spacer dependent on the rest of your setup to clear inside "things" from the tire.

View this post on Instagram
Old Jun 8, 2018, 07:01 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I ran the 17x9.5 +38, with a 20mm, front, bolt-on spacer, for about three years. I never had a problem with them.
Though I had no problems, I still prefer to not use spacers. Despite that, I'm trying to decide: On one hand, I can pull my hubs, install extended studs, buy some open-ended lug nuts, and buy another set of RPFs, all for about $1,000 (for 17s, 18s will be more)...
or...
Buy the WedSport TC105s that I'm in love with and save the trouble. I think they are pretty equal when it comes to weight, so the Weds net weight would be lower. Save some weight and labor for $700?? Actually a tough choice LOL. I'd really like to just throw the wheels on without any drama.
My third option it so buy +15 for the front, +38 rear, and just dismount/mount tires when I need to rotate. Hrm..
Old Jun 8, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

First off, it’s awesome seeing the forum still alive and kicking, it’s been forever since I’ve posted and thanks for the replies!

I think I might pull the trigger on these wheels now and just run the spacers. Has anyone ran a staggered-type spacer setup before? I’m thinking about throwing 18mm on the fronts and 15mm on the rear to tuck in the rears a little bit. My current setup is a +20 and I’m rubbing slightly during hard cornering, even with my slight negative camber. I’d like to push the back in, if possible. I can’t really think of a con about this setup, but then again I’m far from a suspension guru.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 08:54 PM
kaj

The +38 fits perfect in the rear. A spacer would require serious rolling/camber/and/or pulling. If you are going to run spacers in the rear, for some reason, you may as well just run the +15 all the way around and no spacers. Is this for performance or looks?
Note: If your rear control arms are old and squishy and you AutoX or Road Race the car, you will rub the inside of the rim on the lower control arm slightly. It's not too bad and will self clearance, eventually At least a few of ours did. It won't rub during daily driving, though.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it’s for performance and I’d rather not mechanically make the clearance over time haha. I’ll probably just run the 15’s in the rear to balance it out a little more and guarantee the clearance.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 09:24 PM
kaj

Okay, but to confirm: the +15 will not fit the rear without serious modification to the rear fenders. Like body work and/or flares, etc. I'd suggest search for the wheel fitment thread. You will see everyone uses +38. I was mostly being facetious by suggesting +15 in the rear. :cheers:
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I figured, I knew the 15’s would be a no-go for me, I just want to balance out the rest. Thanks again for the input!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
If I were in your shoes I'd but the +38s and some extended arp wheel studs for the front and run a slip on spacer up there. Still able to rotate easily and your front track will be a hair wider than the rear which is desirable.