Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

ASP classing question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
ASP classing question

Hi all,

This will be the first year I'm attending the Solo Nationals and I since I normally run in NASA rules for local events, I wanted to confirm that I'm OK to run both rear adjustable toe arms and rear lower LCA's and still be fine competing in ASP? Or would this bump me up to SM?

Thanks for any assistance and hopefully look forward to meeting some of you in Lincoln!

Old Jul 16, 2018, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The way that I read it, you are only able to change the camber arm. Hopefully someone else can chime in with confirmation. It says nothing about changing the toe control arm for more adjustment, only talks about being able to use eccentric bolts to achieve alignment if your vehicle has them.

Zack
Old Jul 16, 2018, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I havent re-read the SP rules lately but I thought there was something about being able to change 1 arm though I dont know if that only refers to camber arms.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 05:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Crap, well I've been told both ways now.

If I gotta go to SM it's not the end of the world, but I'd prefer staying in ASP since this car is pretty simple. I suppose I could just take them off, raise the rear so it doesn't rub and just deal with it. The car would probably be faster by doing this anyways, since I'm running -3.0 out back to get these 18x10.5's to "fit".

Thanks guys!

Last edited by LV///R; Jul 17, 2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

I spoke with Doug Gill and indeed I need to take the toe arms off.

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Just pull the fenders more? Or pull the trigger on a full SM build. Itll be fun (they said...)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Just pull the fenders more? Or pull the trigger on a full SM build. Itll be fun (they said...)
Haha! If I keep this evo, I may consider doing that next year. But after autoxing a C6 Z06 vette recently, my mind is on the fence about what route I may take. It's great to experience driving other platforms.

I think the most reasonable solution to my problem is to pull the toe arms off, throw the stockers back on. Reduce the amount of negative camber out back and either do some more pulling or just raise the rear height a bit so I don't rub. I think this is going to help anyway with rotation, because for the life of me I can't get it to rotate in it's current state. (Weir 12 plate diff, adjustable rear bar on full stiff and 12kg/14kg spring setup). I think dialing out all that rear negative camber should help immensely. At least I'm hoping.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

I've been going through the same thing last year or so. More bar isn't going to get you much more rotation once its already lifting a wheel. At that point you need more rear spring and/or more rear tire pressure.

Also, I really need to go drive more corvettes. I drove a BS vette a few years ago and it was really good. Also drove a brz recently and had way more fun than I thought I would. Sorta been car ADD with the evo lately even though its so fun. Just been with AWD for so long.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

I'll give the tire pressure thing a shot. If that fails, I'll up the rear spring rate even further then. I still have some time to play around/test with local events here and some in Lincoln prior to Nationals! Thanks!

I hear you with being with this platform for some time. I've owned two and autox'd evos for probably 8-9 years now? I lost count.

I agree with you with the BRZ/FRS. That's a pretty fun and rewarding platform I must say. Very similar to the S2k in ways, but has more torque down low.

I'd love to give a c5z06 a shot as well, as they are much more reasonably priced compared to the C6z06. The C6z06 was all about throttle control. I mean, it's literally mind bending how little you have to touch that throttle for the rear end to "speak". This car wasn't stock, as I believe it's making around 550whp+, on some wide *** BFG Rivals.

I've experimented with plenty of other RWD cars as well and there's definitely traits to learn from those cars, compared to driving an evo. One thing I've noticed with the evo is that it's almost EASY to drive FAST/at the limits, compared to many of the cars I've autox'd. The steering alone in these cars makes things stand out compared to many of these in the list (excluding the S2k as the steering is top notch, even with minor to no mods). Some of these cars makes it feel like you're getting a workout with all of the rotating of the steering wheel that needs to occur, to get through slaloms for example.

-997 Porsche 911 Turbo S (I get it is AWD, but this thing could rotate on entry/exit with ease - not stock and on hoosier A7's) I was quite shocked how unresponsive (at least compared to the my evo) the steering felt in this thing. Definitely would take some seat time to get the times down to what the owner was getting.

-highly modified FRS - Absolutely a blast. Power oversteer out of turns was almost impossible to avoid, however. I believe it was making close to 200whp?

-stock FRS

-AP1 (I owned for a year + and autox'd frequently) I miss this car in ways. It was fun and rewarding to drive fast. Took me a few events to get used to how differently it is to drive fast, compared to the evo. Great drivers car and that's obvious.

-AP2 S2000

-NA Miata

-ND Miata

-318ti - M3 swapped and supercharged on 285mm RE71Rs - Fun to say the least.

-E92 M3

-F80 M3 and M4

-135i - bolt ons

-C6Z06- This car was an eye opener. I've always loved the looks of the car and have ridden in a few. To autox one was a treat and an absolute challenge due to me being used to just WOT'ing the evo.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
straying OT but recently bought & prepped an E92 M3 ZCP for FS, been a very interesting experience so far. Been working on being gentle with the throttle, I'd say it handles better or is better balanced than the Evo, though not as fast. In index, it's quicker for now, but kind of feels boat-y. Unlike my last prepped autox car at least, it can be enjoyed in other ways than just on course
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
straying OT but recently bought & prepped an E92 M3 ZCP for FS, been a very interesting experience so far. Been working on being gentle with the throttle, I'd say it handles better or is better balanced than the Evo, though not as fast. In index, it's quicker for now, but kind of feels boat-y. Unlike my last prepped autox car at least, it can be enjoyed in other ways than just on course

No worries about going OT, as my question has been answered!

I would have to agree with your statements about the E92. I drove both the Manual and paddle-shift versions in various autox events. Fun cars for sure...and throttle control needs to happen, otherwise that rear end is quite easy to rotate!

It's definitely a "large" car compared to our beloved evos. I have considered going that E92 route as well... I'm fairly certain my wallet wouldn't enjoy that when the mod bug bites though.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by LV///R
No worries about going OT, as my question has been answered!

I would have to agree with your statements about the E92. I drove both the Manual and paddle-shift versions in various autox events. Fun cars for sure...and throttle control needs to happen, otherwise that rear end is quite easy to rotate!

It's definitely a "large" car compared to our beloved evos. I have considered going that E92 route as well... I'm fairly certain my wallet wouldn't enjoy that when the mod bug bites though.
cool - yea i've got a manual stripper. def a little sluggish put-puting around town off the line unless i'm really getting on it, but the chassis balance & engine are great. shifter/shifting sucks. even the few things i've done for FS prep have cost me $$$
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I loved my C5z, It was a challenging car to drive, and the amount of performance you get for the buck is just insane.....

Zack
Old Jul 17, 2018, 06:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
On a semi-related note, there's an awfully fast ASP Evo for sale

http://forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10136
Old Jul 18, 2018, 05:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by wanabgts
I loved my C5z, It was a challenging car to drive, and the amount of performance you get for the buck is just insane.....

Zack
I truly hope at some point that I get to drive one of these things to see how they compare to the C6z06.

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
On a semi-related note, there's an awfully fast ASP Evo for sale

http://forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10136
Dear Lord, the want is real with this car.

Quick Reply: ASP classing question