AutoX Tire pressure tips - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AutoX Tire pressure tips

Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

AutoX Tire pressure tips

I have my first AutoX event tomorrow. I am driving an Evo IX with Evo X wheels, running Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires (245/40/18), lowered with Ohlin coilovers.
I do not have a thermometer/pyrometer yet, so for my first time at the cones, I was thinking of running 34f-32r psi cold.
Am I on the right track here? Thanks for any input
The Following User Says Thank You to Welcome2GoodBur For This Useful Post:
MinusPrevious (Aug 12, 2018)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 06:04 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Heres a clip direct from the SCCA website. Heres the link as well

https://www.scca.com/pages/autocross-faq

The Following User Says Thank You to MinusPrevious For This Useful Post:
Welcome2GoodBur (Aug 12, 2018)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Start a little higher and look at the wear patter on the shoulder of the tire. Rough guideline without temp measurements is to lower pressure until the tire is rolling to the edge of the tread on the shoulder. Sometimes marking with chalk or a paint pen helps if your shoulders are already worn. Ask an experienced person at the event and they will help.

Truthfully, as long as they are not rolling over too much just leave them alone for your first event. Focus on driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to psushoe For This Useful Post:
Welcome2GoodBur (Aug 12, 2018)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by psushoe View Post
Start a little higher and look at the wear patter on the shoulder of the tire. Rough guideline without temp measurements is to lower pressure until the tire is rolling to the edge of the tread on the shoulder. Sometimes marking with chalk or a paint pen helps if your shoulders are already worn. Ask an experienced person at the event and they will help.

Truthfully, as long as they are not rolling over too much just leave them alone for your first event. Focus on driving.

I started with cold temps at 37/34 (door jam said 32/29 for the stock tires, so started by simply adding +5 psi cold). Now that doesn't take into account that I have larger than stock wheels, but I feel I did pretty well. I need to get a new alignment for sure, but the car did well.
I have a lot of practicing to do, had never driven the car like that, but I'm hooked now.

Old Aug 12, 2018, 07:02 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

As mentioned above, start with a bit of extra pressure and let air out from there. My tires have indicators on the shoulders that I mark with chalk. I lower pressure 1-2psi until I'm right at the indicators (usually a triangle, somewhere along the shoulder of the tire).
If you have an OEM alignment, the tires will want to roll. That's the reason for adding pressure. If you run an aggressive camber, you can drop pressures and get more grip.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj View Post
If you have an OEM alignment, the tires will want to roll. That's the reason for adding pressure. If you run an aggressive camber, you can drop pressures and get more grip.
Alignment is the biggest variable here. Alignments in the stock range will require higher tire pressures to compensate. Once your front camber starts approaching the -3 range you can use the low-30s tire pressures that most of the experienced drivers refer to in their posts.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Construct View Post
Alignment is the biggest variable here. Alignments in the stock range will require higher tire pressures to compensate. Once your front camber starts approaching the -3 range you can use the low-30s tire pressures that most of the experienced drivers refer to in their posts.

I do NOT have the OEM Alignment.
However, I am having a hard time finding a shop in the area that is willing to work on the car, with it being a little lowered on Ohlins and having slightly larger than stock wheels/tires.
Anyone know of any good suspension tuning shops in Ohio or the surrounding states?

I figure while I get that done I might even add a rear sway bar and possibly replace some of my bushings as well. I want to dial in the Ohlins as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.