Racing Brake BBK? - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Brake BBK?

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Which pads and for what use?

And I've heard good things about the Essex parts AP kit being a lot better than stock..
I also heard good things about the AP Racing CP8350 calipers. Seems like several people bought them back when they first came out and I haven't heard many (any?) complaints about them, aside from the 500HP+ crowd needing something bigger.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't liked any of their pads I've used. ET500 on the street and ET800 on track. Don't waste your money. Use ST's or DTC's as others have mentioned
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt View Post
I haven't liked any of their pads I've used. ET500 on the street and ET800 on track. Don't waste your money. Use ST's or DTC's as others have mentioned
The ET800 is specifically listed as a street only compound, why would you use it on track??
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

They may have changed things, this was back in 2010/11. It was definitely a track compound that I used, and I could have sworn it was the 800.

The XT and XR series weren't even available back then. Probably why their products weren't very good back then. It was absolutely advertised as a track compound back then.

Last edited by grillpt; Aug 16, 2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: updating info
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Kaj, why not look into a Wilwood 6 piston kit? They aren't that expensive, and the pad type is made by just about everyone
Old Aug 16, 2018, 03:12 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt View Post
Kaj, why not look into a Wilwood 6 piston kit? They aren't that expensive, and the pad type is made by just about everyone
I'm always looking into everything.
👍
I just wanted to start a thread asking about the RB kit.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

i sold a set of front and rear RB bbk a couple years ago for a friend. they were slightly better than stock brakes. the rotors are 12mm larger but the OEM pad height is taller. it's hard to get anymore braking performance while staying with 17" wheels. im also not big on any bbk that use after market rotors, they are expensive to replace. that's why i went with evo x brakes and use OE rotors.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ront-rear.html

i worked with RB to develop a bbk for for s2k 10 years ago, and also did a lot of rotors and pads testing for them when they were still in the east coast. the ET pads weren't good enough for track, event though advertised as dual purpose pads. we worked on upping the compound till they came out with XT series which were decent for dual purpose pads, but still not enough for pure track pad. i haven't tried anything else since then. the last thing i use from RB was the two piece surface mount rotors up till when i switched to evo x brakes, which was good. i never liked the center mount rotors, they were weak and often crack at the mounting point way before the rotors wore out.

i guess RB is doing a lot better now, they are making carbon brakes setup. more high end market.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 07:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by honda-guy View Post
i sold a set of front and rear RB bbk a couple years ago for a friend. they were slightly better than stock brakes. the rotors are 12mm larger but the OEM pad height is taller. it's hard to get anymore braking performance while staying with 17" wheels. im also not big on any bbk that use after market rotors, they are expensive to replace. that's why i went with evo x brakes and use OE rotors.

i worked with RB to develop a bbk for for s2k 10 years ago, and also did a lot of rotors and pads testing for them when they were still in the east coast. the ET pads weren't good enough for track, event though advertised as dual purpose pads. we worked on upping the compound till they came out with XT series which were decent for dual purpose pads, but still not enough for pure track pad. i haven't tried anything else since then. the last thing i use from RB was the two piece surface mount rotors up till when i switched to evo x brakes, which was good. i never liked the center mount rotors, they were weak and often crack at the mounting point way before the rotors wore out.

i guess RB is doing a lot better now, they are making carbon brakes setup. more high end market.
Yea seems they are doing better. I remember years ago the local guys had a running joke calling them not-racing brakes. They where HORRIBLE on track, worse than stock. brake kits, pads, everything.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy

Has the design of the center mounts changed? My buddy has two years (12 track days and 20k miles) and a set on his X with no issues.

Someone mentioned Wilwood in here, I would stay dorm those for sure. Not really a great a caliper. I wasn't happy with them on my off-road car.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 09:07 AM
kaj
Evolved Member

I'm impressed with the X calipers ,after holding them in my hand. I think I'll give them a go ,once I burn through my tires and sell my (brand new) wheels.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
They suck, read this before you deal with these clowns.
This is the rotor assembly (hat and disc) he should have bought - A two piece rotor designed for CTS-V V2 (370x34mm) with Brembo 6 pot caliper, but he had RB two piece rotors for his stock V1 (355x32mm) w/4 pot caliper, and purchased only the V2 replacement ring and retrofitted to his V1 rotor hat w/o knowing there is an offset difference, nor he checked the offset by spinning the rotor after install.

His failure analysis was made up to the failure due to 1mm incorrect offset which would have been caught by checking the clearance to caliper body. This also prompted to verify previous ownership of RB two piece rotors before the purchase of replacement rings can be validated - A protection to both you and us.

In response to this misleading posting we adding a sticky thread in our forum for ALL to read.
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1482

RB was the first brake company introducing EVO8/9 along with WRX and STi since ealy 2000 and quite a few members still running the original set up w/o need rotor ring replacement.

Warren-RB

Old Oct 27, 2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by honda-guy View Post

The most qualified track person to testify RB two piece rotors and XT900 series track pads for EVO was Jordan L., and the best tuning shop to confirm RB rotor and pad value was Peter C. The owner of WORKS Engineering. MAPerformance (online retailer) who has been distributing our XT910 pads (superseding ET500) for over 10 years, and RB rotors and pads were also carried by South Coast Mitsubishi - #1 dealer of EVO 8/9/10 in the nation. These are the better source for a fair feedback on a long term and continuing basis.

Since we moved to west coast (2010+) our brake development has been shifting to those super muscle cars (650 HP+/4000lbs+) like Hellcat, Camaro ZL1, Corvette Z7, Dodge Viper, Nissan GTR, Mustang GT350 in addition to mid-size BMW M3 and Porsche 911 996/97/991. If those track racers are satisfied with RB brakes I assume they should serve EVO well.

We have also dissuaded selling dual purpose pads, and offer only XT910 for spirited driving and Cobalt XR1 for real track application.

Warren-RB

Last edited by sdoow; Oct 27, 2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

LOL at referencing WORKS as a legitimate source of credibility...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
LOL at referencing WORKS as a legitimate source of credibility...
this........and SCM LOL
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sdoow View Post
The most qualified track person to testify RB two piece rotors and XT900 series track pads for EVO was Jordan L., and the best tuning shop to confirm RB rotor and pad value was Peter C. The owner of WORKS Engineering. MAPerformance (online retailer) who has been distributing our XT910 pads (superseding ET500) for over 10 years, and RB rotors and pads were also carried by South Coast Mitsubishi - #1 dealer of EVO 8/9/10 in the nation. These are the better source for a fair feedback on a long term and continuing basis.

Since we moved to west coast (2010+) our brake development has been shifting to those super muscle cars (650 HP+/4000lbs+) like Hellcat, Camaro ZL1, Corvette Z7, Dodge Viper, Nissan GTR, Mustang GT350 in addition to mid-size BMW M3 and Porsche 911 996/97/991. If those track racers are satisfied with RB brakes I assume they should serve EVO well.

We have also dissuaded selling dual purpose pads, and offer only XT910 for spirited driving and Cobalt XR1 for real track application.

Warren-RB
LoL at works as well. I was one of the many bamboozled into their fake parts. But I have one for ya. So about a month ago I navigate my way to the RB site because I ultimately decided to rebuild my OEM rear calipers and remembered you/they had a decently priced kit. I found the "kit" price and proceeded to try adding it to the cart. An error popped up saying choose a boot option, and the only "option" that is/was selective was the silicon ones. I didn't want those for various technical reasons. The normal boots are select-able by themselves. I thought huh. As someone in the IT field for the past 20 years I took the time out of my day to call RB directly and let them know that the site was "broken" in that manner. The guy at the shop on the phone tried doing a couple of things and couldn't get it "working". So he advised me to email [email protected] because the owner was working from home and he would answer and fix that right away. Puzzled I asked "Can't you take my order over the phone and get me the part I want at the price you advertise so we don't have to wait?" To which he replied "No, we are not setup to do that, all orders have to be through the website".....wtf?.... "You mean the website that's refusing to do so?" "Yes, email the owner, I can't do anything on my end." Knowing about exactly the avenue they took to "avoid" PCI and such things by doing it this way, and dealing with those customers daily, I knew who I was dealing with.

Digging into my patience because I want people to be successful even when it's something so small and dumb, I took the time out of my day to email them outlining the issue with screenshots, URL's, etc. 5 days go by with no answer so I check the site again and the problem still exists. I tried calling again around 1pm PST and go no answer. Emailed again the following day and no answer. I call that a "Decent amount of attempts to buy a simple part". Based on the description and how they choose to run the business I personally would pay 10x to replace them instead of giving them business, sad. If they can't support their own people or site to "do business", how the hell are they going to support my racing efforts. #fail

Last edited by Balrok; Oct 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.