Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Brake BBK?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 09:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Racing Brake BBK?

Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I decided to do X brakes over that because I wanted 18's. I'm sure the caliper is better than the stock brembo. Their rotors are awesome, and I like their pads too.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 01:05 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I decided to do X brakes over that because I wanted 18's. I'm sure the caliper is better than the stock brembo. Their rotors are awesome, and I like their pads too.

Are the pads actually decent? I was kinda bummed I'd have to pay extra for them, but if they are good pads, then that's different. My X calipers arrive today, so deciding if I want to get X rotors and stash the setup until I move to 18s or sell the X calipers and go this route. I assumed the RB stuff would still require 18s. Or at least wouldn't work with my 17" RPFs.

Old Aug 14, 2018, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

It says they clear 17's. The rotor may be .5" larger than stock, but I'm guessing the caliper has a smaller profile that helps it fit better (per the fitment diagram, the caliper extends 7.2" from center). I'm sure it will still need a spacer, but I'm guessing it'll fit the barrel.

I have tried all of their pads up to the XT910 street compound. I haven't tried the track compounds, but they get good reviews. And based on my experience with their other compounds being quite good, I'm sure they're good. I've just been waiting for my ST43's to wear out to try them.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is exciting news.... when I get a chance I'll call to see if they would fit with RPF1's. I was looking at AP racing kit but $600 cheaper is significant
Old Aug 14, 2018, 06:35 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by amn_suazo
This is exciting news.... when I get a chance I'll call to see if they would fit with RPF1's. I was looking at AP racing kit but $600 cheaper is significant
My thoughts exactly.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by amn_suazo
If you scroll down the listing a bit you'll find their fitment guide that shows caliper dimensions: http://racingbrake.com/v/main/fitment/?pn=2155
Old Aug 15, 2018, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They suck, read this before you deal with these clowns.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Code Monkey
That's tough because that is the only complaint I've seen. Everyone that runs racingbrake that I have talked to have said great things.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Code Monkey
Have seen their 2pc rotors go 2yrs on an EvoX, only needed replaced due to being worn out. Street and track driving with Raybestos ST43's.

The single piece directional vane rotors saw 10 track days on my car. Being retired due to surface cracking I'm not ok with. Went to X brakes and have their 2pcs rotors for those now.

This seems like an isolated incident. And it's a racing part, so... There isn't really a warranty.

Also, your post indicates you never followed up. "Sent my rotors, never heard back..."
Old Aug 15, 2018, 04:57 PM
kaj

I've only heard one bad experience from someone I know directly. He ordered a set of replacement rings for his rotors. They made him jump through hoops to get the hardware, though. I'm pretty sure they now come with hardware, maybe they didn't back then. Anyway, they wanted pictures and receipts to show he actually had their rotors. It took him two weeks to convince them LOL. It was weird. This was about 5yrs ago, though.

I just got a set of X calipers. When I decide to sell my brand new RPFs and go to 18s (damn it), I'll be using RB 2-pc rotors, also.

I'd need more info before deciding they suck.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully you guys have a better experience.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I’ve ran their pads and they sucked and didn’t last long. I’d go with the hawk dtc70 pads if you go with that kit. I’m also looking at a front BBK and after talking to a couple people the AP 4 piston kit isn’t much better than the factory brakes, so I’m going with a brembo kit now.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l888apex
I’ve ran their pads and they sucked and didn’t last long. I’d go with the hawk dtc70 pads if you go with that kit. I’m also looking at a front BBK and after talking to a couple people the AP 4 piston kit isn’t much better than the factory brakes, so I’m going with a brembo kit now.
Can you give a little more detail on what they didn't like about the AP kit? IMO the factory Brembo's stop the car very well however with heat you can get pad knock back, boiled fluid/soft pedal etc. if AP or racingbrake can give the same stopping power but handle the heat better(all other items being equal) I'd happily pay. But if they are saying they are having h same issue i would rather not waste my money lol
Old Aug 16, 2018, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by l888apex
Which pads and for what use?

And I've heard good things about the Essex parts AP kit being a lot better than stock..