Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STIFFNESS matters! -We back-to-back Carbon Revolution's CF wheels vs AL wheels

Old Sep 10, 2018, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STIFFNESS matters! -We back-to-back Carbon Revolution's CF wheels vs AL wheels

Hey guys,

Whether you own a GT350R, Ford GT, or Ferrari 488 Pista with Carbon Revolution's Carbon Fiber wheels or are just looking to buy new wheels for your car. Check out this article that explains the importance STIFFNESS plays in ALL wheels, the effects of reduced unsprung weight, rotational inertia, NVH, and strength (which is different from stiffness) has on ALL wheels.

You'll also learn that carbon fiber wheels are a game-changer, forged & cast wheels have the same stiffness, and lighter is not always better when choosing a set of wheels. Hopefully this article will provide you with more knowledge to make better wheel purchases in the future.

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...-fiber-wheels/

Enjoy!

Last edited by stuntman; Sep 10, 2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 07:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Lol, arent these like over 10k / set? I dont think the Evo is the right demographic for these.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Lol, arent these like over 10k / set? I dont think the Evo is the right demographic for these.
Try giving the article a read.

"You'll learn how important STIFFNESS plays in ALL wheels, and the effects of reduced unsprung weight, rotational inertia, NVH, strength (which is different from stiffness) has on ALL wheels. You'll also learn that carbon fiber wheels are a game-changer, forged & cast wheels have the same stiffness, and lighter is not always better when choosing a set of wheels."
Old Sep 10, 2018, 07:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The only EvO owner i can see attempting to run these would be Ken Thwaits (Optima Street Car Chall Winner)

Price example only

Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Lol. I can't even bring myself to spend $2k on wheels.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Lol. I can't even bring myself to spend $2k on wheels.
Same. RPFs FTW.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 11, 2018, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Last time i went down to AG auto i believe there was a IX with carbon fiber wheels and brakes. So Evos are out there.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Every second costs lol.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Wow, they're really going all-in on the advertising push for those. That MotoIQ article felt more like a cheesy infomercial.

Carbon Revolution makes it very difficult to find the actual weight of their wheels, which is strange when you're paying $3K per corner. Given how much they're pushing the stiffness angle on their website and in their advertisements disguised as technical articles, I'm going to assume the CF wheels aren't that much lighter than traditional race wheels. I suppose we could work backward from the wheel/tire combo they weighed in the article.

The claim that normal wheels can flex enough to lose 1 degree of camber with 1G of cornering force also seems suspect, though I don't have any real numbers to back that up.

In the mountain bike world, carbon fiber wheels definitely make a noticeable albeit small difference. But there we're talking about 29" diameter wheels and a couple hundred watts of human power.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Wow, they're really going all-in on the advertising push for those. That MotoIQ article felt more like a cheesy infomercial.

Carbon Revolution makes it very difficult to find the actual weight of their wheels, which is strange when you're paying $3K per corner. Given how much they're pushing the stiffness angle on their website and in their advertisements disguised as technical articles, I'm going to assume the CF wheels aren't that much lighter than traditional race wheels. I suppose we could work backward from the wheel/tire combo they weighed in the article.

The claim that normal wheels can flex enough to lose 1 degree of camber with 1G of cornering force also seems suspect, though I don't have any real numbers to back that up.

In the mountain bike world, carbon fiber wheels definitely make a noticeable albeit small difference. But there we're talking about 29" diameter wheels and a couple hundred watts of human power.
It's not a paid advertisement.

Fronts are 16.5lbs, rears are 19.5lbs.

I'm sorry you feel its an infomercial when the concepts of stiffness to weight can be applied for use when buying ANY wheel.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:07 PM
EvoM Guru

No ones disputing stiffness is great, its the laughable price to this market. Sure there might be some out there but this is a pretty price sensitive group.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

No ones disputing stiffness is great, its the laughable price to this market. Sure there might be some out there but this is a pretty price sensitive group.
I wouldn't say price sensitive. But there are several other things most of our cars could use that would provide a bigger Performance delta for less money then a $12k set of carbon wheel.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stuntman
It's not a paid advertisement.

Fronts are 16.5lbs, rears are 19.5lbs.

I'm sorry you feel its an infomercial when the concepts of stiffness to weight can be applied for use when buying ANY wheel.
Whether or not it was paid, it seemed that all of the content was provided by the manufacturer. I wasn't left feeling confident that MotoIQ independently verified the information presented. A small disclosure about the data sources, what promotional value/incentives were or were not provided described early in the article would worked wonders. Let's be honest, but in today's world we are all very skeptical of the incentives behind all publications.

As for the wheels, I'd love to see what 18x9 and 18x10.5 sizes weigh.

Random question.. but the GT350R wheels, these are 5x114.3? 19x11?

Old Sep 11, 2018, 03:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Heh, I am in the market for some 18x12s, something tells me I'll be forced to stick with traditional wheels with my budget considering I need 2 sets.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Heh, I am in the market for some 18x12s, something tells me I'll be forced to stick with traditional wheels with my budget considering I need 2 sets.
It's cool. Just spend what your cars worth on a few round things.

Search this Thread