Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

To 315.... or not to 315?????? SP edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 02:48 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Thanks for the link! I found all those same issues and also decided on ABS. Some I looked at didn't even allow for room for a tire. They stuck out from the body, but were flat on the bottoms, so no way a tire could move up underneath. Defeated the purpose other than covering up the top of the tire.
I'll check out your link. I'd like a set on the front, due to spacers.. but if these work on the rear, then that opens up a whole plethora of wheels I can choose from.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Dumb question but here it goes...Is there a special way to cut the rear quarters to preserve and rigidity that it provides? As in, its 2 pieces of sheet metal and the lip ends up being two pieces folded together. It would seem like leaving the outer skin longer to fold over the inside would the best but im not sure in reality that its practical.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
In my reading, no. The outer skin has very little to do with the chassis stiffness. But I am still cutting the outer skin up, sectioning the inner skin, then bending up and stitching the parts back together. There looks to be a ton of space to do this on the Evo too. My buddies 912 chump car (lucky dog now) had to weld in a filler piece to fill the gap because the shape of the inner well.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think hes referring to the stiffness of the body panel itself, ie- will it buckle if someone leans on it..
Old Nov 19, 2018, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Ahh, well the inside skin is pie-cut and folded out to the outer skin. Then re-welded. So it should be pretty much as it was before. My buddy has done this a few times to different cars and takes on far crazier projects (we put a full lotus elise suspension in his autocross Porsche 914).

I hope it turns out well, but even if its ghetto, itll work (damnit!)
Old Nov 19, 2018, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
95% of the reason I don't want to do any widebody stuff is because I absolutely suck at body work lol. One day maybe I'll cross that bridge. Unless then I'm just going to keep closing up that thigh gap
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqJP-Sfg...on_share_sheet

Hmm, for some reason its not liking me linking directly to the IG post.

Its the latest post on my IG though, https://www.instagram.com/ssb_design/
Well more then what you can see elsewhere lol. Specifically the look from the front/rear/top. How much X spacer puts it out so I can see how this thing fits. I would have figured when going this route would have gone for little to no spacer or a super inboard offset and flare till you fail or are you still after that wheelbase?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Im doing everything I can to keep the car narrow and really pushing inside clearance but things are getting tough. I need a little more camber but have no strut clearance for it so I need to go thicker on the spacer but dont have enough stud spacer to go much thicker.. Cascading effects going on here. I'll also need to push the wheel forward more because of how much swing we have in the offset and that'll cascade into needing to cut the bumper too.

Still trying to figure things out. And Im still trying to decide if I dump the Ohlin Flags for Cusco 3ways to gain an extra 3/4" of an inch with moving the spring up or keep pushing to make this all work. Hmm, Anyone want some Flags for $3k with all the SSB upgrades?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This thread is better with popcorn. It gets easier after the first cut, Dallas.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 08:35 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Anyone want some Flags for $3k with all the SSB upgrades?
You are evil and have horrible timing.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Still trying to figure things out. And Im still trying to decide if I dump the Ohlin Flags for Cusco 3ways to gain an extra 3/4" of an inch with moving the spring up or keep pushing to make this all work. Hmm, Anyone want some Flags for $3k with all the SSB upgrades?
if you get the cusco 3 ways with the FRSport valving it's a no brainer.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
This is the direction I want to go. I'm not a shock expert, but Guy is.. Soooo..

Who wants some epic Ohlins I'm only willing to get rid of for some extra tire clearance?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
This is the direction I want to go. I'm not a shock expert, but Guy is.. Soooo..

Who wants some epic Ohlins I'm only willing to get rid of for some extra tire clearance?

Do you guys care to go into more detail about these custom valved Cusco coilovers? What is so special about them, especially compared to your flags, MCS's, other higher end options for the evo?

EDIT: Or are you more concerned about gaining that extra clearance...?

Thanks!

Last edited by LV///R; Nov 20, 2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Marshal will know more about things regarding valving but from my perspective the Flags are amazing now that Ive made the new pin fixing the canister locating and rear coaxial perches. The only reason I would change from them to something else is for a remote reservoir because the hard mounted front reservoir pushes the front spring perch down and means the tire has to side beside the spring instead of the strut. Thats about 3/4" clearance.

Other than that one thing, Im super happy with the Flags.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
315 NT01 on a 18x11 wheel.