Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Light Weight battery

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Light Weight battery

As the Evo has finally become my track only car I pulled the trigger on a light weight battery from pegasus racing. It is the small case antigravity 16 cell, I will post up what I find as I finally have a track day here in the PNW coming up in a few weeks!

Specs on the battery...

This 16-Cell "small case" 12 volt battery measures 4 5/8" L x 3 1/4" W x 5 1/4" H. It is smaller than most OEM batteries, but it offers a huge 480 cranking amps and weighs just 3.5 pounds. (We offer 2 lead-acid batteries that are close to this size, but they each deliver about 230 CA and weigh 11 pounds.) It has a similar cranking capacity to a 16Ah lead-acid battery* (our equivalent lead-acid batteries have 12Ah capacity and therefore can't crank as long).

Just saw the other battery thread LOL

My antigravity will be located in the trunk as I previously had the optima red top there due to my inter cooling piping. I also purchased the lithium charger and will be pulling my battery to store the car as it is driven maybe once a month not during race season, but with the loss of NASA here in the PNW I have hardly raced at all

George

Last edited by jedibow; Sep 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Sep 23, 2016)
Old Sep 3, 2016, 05:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Never looked in the lithiums until now. What a diff in weight. I run the old school PC680 up front but wonder if i can run their smaller 12 cell in place of the 680? Their chart says it will work on engines up to 1.8L

Yes, post up your battery mount once you get it installed. The higher cost maybe offset by the longer life
Old Sep 3, 2016, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Never looked in the lithiums until now. What a diff in weight. I run the old school PC680 up front but wonder if i can run their smaller 12 cell in place of the 680? Their chart says it will work on engines up to 1.8L

Yes, post up your battery mount once you get it installed. The higher cost maybe offset by the longer life
They offered me the 12 cell if it was a tow to the track vehicle, I opted for the 16 incase I decided to drive to the track. the 12 cell will work with the alternator, but there is a chance it won't turn over the car with if it is a hard start and I hope to be corn fed soon also.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jedibow
They offered me the 12 cell if it was a tow to the track vehicle, I opted for the 16 incase I decided to drive to the track. the 12 cell will work with the alternator, but there is a chance it won't turn over the car with if it is a hard start and I hope to be corn fed soon also.
Did you get a mounting kit also? I am only seeing ones for the Valery batteries.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Did you get a mounting kit also? I am only seeing ones for the Valery batteries.
No, I will make an aluminum bracket and use Nutserts in the holes from my existing battery hold down in the floor pan from my previous relocation. I will try and post pics when done, but this site hates me LOL
Old Sep 7, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

We've used lithium iron phosphate batteries for about a year now and it's incredible how small of a battery will crank over a car, but they are finicky little buggers. Make sure to keep them on a charger when you can as they will die very quickly with any small drain on them. It wouldn't be something I'd trust for a daily driver, but if you have access to a reliable jump box or a crew to push start, the weight savings is incredible.

Dan
jedibow (Sep 7, 2016)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Be wary of brand though and do your research. The markup for "clever marketing" with these is pretty unreal. My example Braille Batteries. I don't have the pics anymore but here's the facts with some slight venting:

I've replaced 2x B3121 batteries since I did the cockpit relocation years ago. When it came time for my third AGM battery I was curious why they died in 2 years even when religiously kept on a charger and was hesitant on spending another 299 on a new one. Esp since all this "racing" data they claim to have supports a better sounding product. After a couple hours I found out that Braille...doesn't even make they're (agm) batteries. They are an OEM of Eastern Penn with a sticker....huh. The EXACT same battery with a "Duracell" label at your local Batteries/Bulbs store is $149. After peeling the labels off of the Braille and Duracell the ugly head of the Penn part # reviled itself. That's right...One Hundred and Fifty bucks more Braille charges you for the same ******* thing....because it says racing right.

Take it a step further. The first battery of theirs I got was the "Carbon" version. The claim is all this resistance and such as you'd expect from a full carbon case....but it's not full....or Totally carbon fiber. It's a "sheet" with foam behind it. I almost s*** myself when we started pulling it off to reveal the exact same grey case battery. It may be some kind of CF but it isn't stiff really at all. This you get For ....Thats right....ANOTHER 150 bucks. Or in today's prices 152.25 more then their "regular" AGM version.

To review:
Generic Penn relabels (Duracell, Deka, etc) = 149
Braille relabel = 241.49~ (was 299)
Braille "carbon sticker" = 393.74~

As someone said in the SM thread - there are only so many Li cells available and everyone's rushing in for the re-branding party. So I check back on my size from Braille in Li and holy sh*t, $1999 dollars for what likely is someone elses but I haven't sat down with it yet. Take your time with this and post up similar findings if you nail it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 09:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Piggy backing off another line of thought. I've read that the OE alternator due to belt tension, may not be able to sustain 12V at high RPM. Or perhaps heat would also be a factor.

I wonder if running a LI battery with a low AH rating is enough to guarantee sufficient voltage all the time for racing applications where the alternator for whatever reason cant keep up?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Piggy backing off another line of thought. I've read that the OE alternator due to belt tension, may not be able to sustain 12V at high RPM. Or perhaps heat would also be a factor.

I wonder if running a LI battery with a low AH rating is enough to guarantee sufficient voltage all the time for racing applications where the alternator for whatever reason cant keep up?
I can log voltages with Evoscan and post my findings? I have the original alternator in the car since I bought it in 2003 :O
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

all lithium variety batteries are between 3.2-3.8 volts per cell. and each cell have to be balanced charge. i think there's probably a circuit board inside the battery to drop voltage from alternator to charge each cell independently.

this is just speculation from my RC racing background.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

We datalog voltages on all runs and I've never seen a drop off at higher rpm. Not saying it isn't possible, but not an issue for us.

Dan
jedibow (Sep 9, 2016)
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Got it installed and the weight of this battery is unreal... I originally thought how could this start my car? Fabbed up a bracket and have no issues so far... I can take some pictures if some one is willing to post them for me?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

You can upload right to evoM. Just click the "Insert Image" button and find them on your PC.

I might give this battery a try sounds cool. I'd like to see your pics!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Pics hopefully

Here you go

Old Sep 21, 2016, 05:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Amazing battery power from that tiny box. You have gone nuclear
jedibow (Sep 22, 2016)

Quick Reply: Light Weight battery