Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If there's minimal to no lock up during off throttle situations, its not a 1.5 way diff.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

I really don't like EE. But take note how there is nothing about breaks on his board to explain how the diff works...

Old Jan 21, 2019, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If there's minimal to no lock up during off throttle situations, I don't see how its a 1.5 way diff.
the way i explained it regarding a strong lock up on braking decel before the negative preload springs "opens" it up for better turn-in was the way my 1.5 way osg was explained to me, and how i understood it also.

they said the 1.5 way would provide lockup and stability during hard braking, which can be especially important for high speed braking. you're almost claiming the opposite here, that braking can somewhat negate decel lockup because it impacts how much the engine provides as far as decel torque to the driveshaft goes.

btw, i'm not completely disagreeing per se - i'm simply relaying the information from discussions i've had with OSG about how their negative preload springs work and how it "opens" the diff back up to allow for better turn-in. you are saying that that is impossible for a 1.5-way diff to distinguish and/or doesn't work or whatever. just trying to understand what the answer is here.

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 21, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 07:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Sounds like OSG found a way to get it to open up on turn in. Becuase yes, as I have been told, it's locked during decel to provide stability. Good for road racing, bad for AutoX. Drift cars use 2 way to it's kinda always locked. All makes sense to me. Negative preload. Interesting.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

The amount and direction of lock up on the clutches depends on the difference in force on the carrier vs the side gears. For decel, the largest disparity in force is going to be when you are off throttle, and not on the brakes.

So, the only thing I can think of that OSG does is when that decel force exceeds a certain amount of lock up, something else moves and causes springs to reduce the lock up..
Old Jan 22, 2019, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The amount and direction of lock up on the clutches depends on the difference in force on the carrier vs the side gears. For decel, the largest disparity in force is going to be when you are off throttle, and not on the brakes.

So, the only thing I can think of that OSG does is when that decel force exceeds a certain amount of lock up, something else moves and causes springs to reduce the lock up..
hm. not sure.

as far as the decel lock goes though, are you basically saying that, from braking in a straight-line, a typical diff will let the wheels spin more freely when you are braking hard, as the driveshaft/engine braking is doing less, and as soon as you let go of the brakes, the diff will want to lock the wheels more because of the vice versa of the engine braking/driveshaft? curious also how much the lockup/wedging action is dependent on the pure speed of the driveshaft acting, vs the accel/decel change.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

i gotta admit, i'm disappointed in the OSG (1.5). Finally got back out there - no significant reduction of understeer on turn-in, and bye-bye power-on oversteer. It doesn't feel like it's doing much of anything frankly. It's too much of a hassle to put the Cusco back in so I'll tune around it otherwise.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 02:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Well, that's a bummer. Aren't they big $$$$? I'm very much surprised to hear that it sounds worse than stock.
FWIW, my TRE locks beautifully. A little coaxing from the gas pedal = sideways, any time I want.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i gotta admit, i'm disappointed in the OSG (1.5). Finally got back out there - no significant reduction of understeer on turn-in, and bye-bye power-on oversteer. It doesn't feel like it's doing much of anything frankly. It's too much of a hassle to put the Cusco back in so I'll tune around it otherwise.

Bit gutted to hear that. is it tuneable? maybe try change it so its got less lock up.

Which cusco did you have? 1.5way RS? are u interested in selling it?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Well, that's a bummer. Aren't they big $$$$? I'm very much surprised to hear that it sounds worse than stock.
FWIW, my TRE locks beautifully. A little coaxing from the gas pedal = sideways, any time I want.
it's not worse than stock, just worse than the cusco IMO

Originally Posted by bee-raddd
Bit gutted to hear that. is it tuneable? maybe try change it so its got less lock up.

Which cusco did you have? 1.5way RS? are u interested in selling it?
it was "tuned" based on my specs. I'm disappointed. No bad behaviors from it, just no sideways on power and nothing special off throttle. Partly may be due to my power levels (low), so the power delivery may not be as violent as needed for sideways action. I'll have to test it out in the wet and do some figure 8's to see what it's actually trying to do here.

It was a cusco 1.5-way RS, yea. Custom tuned by Jon@TRE, plates treated, heavy duty side cover etc. BUT - I believe you're not in the states, the diff only fits non-AYC evo 8/9s and AYC-only Evo X's, oddly enough.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Sounds like you need more rear bar.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Sounds like you need more rear bar.
so i just switched to the WL 26mm bar on soft which is equivalent to the 24 i used to have on full stiff. I've made tweaks but nothing that should make a big change or negate a big change, especially with the diff supposedly being so different.

I put the bar on middle setting and I'll hit another event in a few weeks
Old Mar 31, 2019, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Hmm, thats a pretty good sized bar. Spring split enough? Once you get into real grip, the rear rate really does need to get jacked up higher than you'd think. Gotta get that back to move. Im currently at 50% more rear rate than front to give you an idea. Though our setups are going to be a bit different with my goodies, you should have similar results if you keep the front a bit higher than you'd like and rear lower than you'd like.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 01:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
it's not worse than stock, just worse than the cusco IMO

it was "tuned" based on my specs. I'm disappointed. No bad behaviors from it, just no sideways on power and nothing special off throttle. Partly may be due to my power levels (low), so the power delivery may not be as violent as needed for sideways action. I'll have to test it out in the wet and do some figure 8's to see what it's actually trying to do here.

It was a cusco 1.5-way RS, yea. Custom tuned by Jon@TRE, plates treated, heavy duty side cover etc. BUT - I believe you're not in the states, the diff only fits non-AYC evo 8/9s and AYC-only Evo X's, oddly enough.
Nope im in NZ but i have an RS housing just need internals and axles off a non AYC model now and ill make tubular mounts for it.

Plan to buy a cusco RS but if u have one ur willing to part with then even better
Old Apr 1, 2019, 07:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts

How many plates are active in your OSG setup? Are you using the same fluid as you did with the Cusco?

Quick Reply: 1-Way vs 1.5-Way Rear Differentials