Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2019 NASA ST/TT discussion

Old Nov 26, 2018, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Good run. Last for TT4 maybe, but aren't you building for StreetMod with a "new aero package"? That will basically fall into TT1-3 depending on where you end up should the car count follow. Always good design wise to be able to take any car to any event when one or the other is down.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok View Post
Good run. Last for TT4 maybe, but aren't you building for StreetMod with a "new aero package"? That will basically fall into TT1-3 depending on where you end up should the car count follow. Always good design wise to be able to take any car to any event when one or the other is down.
Yeah the Evo will certainly be backup. I can probably just change my minimum weight and stay with the same tune for TT4 next year as the 4 door modifier is gone, and I can get it on a dyno with an E85 tune for TT3 as well so I don't have to change the new Gridlife Street Mod aero setup. The main plan for NASA next year is to ensure I have a good reliable competitive car for championships at Mid Ohio preferably in ST4, but I could run ST4/3 or TT4/3.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick update on my TT4 build. Things are rolling smooth. Dropped off the car to WORK's Motorsports in Sonoma to get dialed in. Alignment, Corner Balance, Weight Check, Tune, Car should be done by the end of the week. Really to bad that TT4 PWR is so low. Did some quick calculations for my car seems like I will be running around 283 average HP. I have a test a day at Sonoma on the 18th of February.

What's the best way to dial in the hoosier tires? what cold psi do you guys start out at? What should I see in tire temps? At 245's with a big heavy car what should I look out for as far as wear? I'm hoping to get at least two full weekends out of them if not more. Hearing all the stories about wear is making me a little un easy...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

^ With that heavy of a car on that small of tire I'd shoot for 40psi hot. Have someone help or pit after 3-4 hot laps to set.

It's starting to look like ST3 in my region as there are already 6 cars signed up this weekend when it's 39 deg out 0 in ST2 but I'm hopeful lol. And 0 in ST4. TT is kinda funny because they have exactly 2 in every single class even TT6 lol.

In other news it seems BFG beat everybody to the punch this year on contingency which is awesome. Hoosier slacking as usual.

Last edited by Balrok; Jan 16, 2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah thus far the ST4 fields for the initial events in Florida, Mid South, and Southeast are not looking good. We have 4 in ST4 for this weekend right now, but I am hoping at least one more of the regulars will sign up.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yeah thus far the ST4 fields for the initial events in Florida, Mid South, and Southeast are not looking good. We have 4 in ST4 for this weekend right now, but I am hoping at least one more of the regulars will sign up.
Which event is that?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Which event is that?
NASA NOLA Region. We only ended up having 4 cars, and I actually won all three races overall. Pretty good start to the season, but no Hoosiers if they even do contingency this season.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
NASA NOLA Region. We only ended up having 4 cars, and I actually won all three races overall. Pretty good start to the season, but no Hoosiers if they even do contingency this season.
^ This is really lame do to the fact that i bought Hoosiers for there contingency but i guess they don't have any contingency for 2019 yet witch is lame. They better have one.... SMH!!!!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
^ This is really lame do to the fact that i bought Hoosiers for there contingency but i guess they don't have any contingency for 2019 yet witch is lame. They better have one.... SMH!!!!
Tim at Hoho for some reason always...always...took a couple of months to release the Nasa version. BFG was technically worse and wouldn't release until late Feb so I was pretty shocked to see it up so soon. It should still allow backtracking for any events you won beforehand. It's also surprising that Nasa hasn't mandated Toyo's for all classes with how in bed the two are.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

In case any of you were curious, here's a 275 BFG R1S on a 9.5" rim (left) and a 265 R1S on a 10" rim (right). Both fit the 282 nasa tool, the 275 on the 10 also fits but it hangs up SLIGHTLY.

Old Apr 10, 2019, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Balrok - How is that 275 R1S holding up? Your comment in the other thread didn't sound very optimistic.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct View Post
Balrok - How is that 275 R1S holding up? Your comment in the other thread didn't sound very optimistic.
The S is a VERY good tire. The issue there was a combo of temp, track, and width. Roebling is a track where you are in 4th gear 90% of the time, and turning 80% of the time, with that much weight on the fronts. The autox compound recovered quickly but went away quickly too. With the A's it took half a lap to come back, at least. So in order to survive there I'll need to jump up to 285's if I want to keep using the S's or if it's 95 out you'll have to run the normal R1 for sure. At other tracks its not as much of an issue.

Another plus is price. I dunno where Coni's (Hoosier) head is at charging 400 bucks now for our range of tire. A couple bucks more and you can get full slicks.

I'm waiting on boob tube to lift the copywrite on my vid still cause I always like to put music.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Another plus is price. I dunno where Coni's (Hoosier) head is at charging 400 bucks now for our range of tire. A couple bucks more and you can get full slicks.
Thanks for the data points. I'm only in HPDE at the moment, but I'd prefer to get my seat time on a tire setup similar to what I'd use in competition.

I assume the Hoosiers will continue to be expensive as long as they're the fastest. I don't like the idea of compromising on tires, but the high price and short lifetime of Hoosiers adds up fast.

Are many people taking the 100TW option this year? I'm not familiar enough with the 100TW options to know if a 5-6% HP boost would even come near making up for the reduced grip.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

A's are cool for actually doing autocross or time attack, unfort though most regular time attack formats don't permit DOT slicks besides Nasa. So if you got R7's or R1's those would last you quite a bit longer. But again it depends on your goals, what events are you intending to run, etc. You'll likely "waste" anything sticker until you reach your limits.

The 100tw is a tricky subject but an obvious answer, nobody is running with it in TT or w2w. Had Maxxis renew'd their contingency...maybe. At the end end end of the day the DOT's will always be faster around the track because it's not only grip in turns but grip in braking late. By the time those come up to temp on lap 2-3 you'll already be 10 seconds+ behind and you'll continue to loose 3~ seconds a lap. Then you have the hidden fact that most of these dudes run more hp then they claim anyway so it's kinda moot.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Ok here goes. 2019 kick off at Roebling Road raceway, Saturday's rain race. Since upgrading to the new AP brake kit I had to sell my old set of 17x9.5 NT03's which had my hoosier rain tires on them. The rest of the field mounted slicks as well because 5 mins before it was just cloudy. About a minute before the pace car left it started to rain in the grid lol. I loved it, racing in the rain is a thrilling experience and it gives us the edge out there. However since it's been so long since I've been back, and I had no idea how safe or aggressive these guys were, I promised not to bend it and only take obvious opportunities. This is in ST3 trim, personal best on Sunday in the dry was a 1:20.6 I believe. Lots of areas for improvement here. I title this one, patience grasshopper Started 4th and fought to 2nd, last lap is the most entertaining.

First time I've used race render too vs RT's built in video software I used on that nerds eye vid.

Last edited by Balrok; Apr 13, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.