Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Old Dec 26, 2018, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
how necessary/beneficial is a catch-can for autox/track days? where does it pick up the blow by from, and does having the kiggly hla, which decreases the flow of oil to the head, do anything to mitigate the need for one?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 09:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
how necessary/beneficial is a catch-can for autox/track days? where does it pick up the blow by from, and does having the kiggly hla, which decreases the flow of oil to the head, do anything to mitigate the need for one?
Pretty beneficial in terms of keeping a clean engine. Stock engines on lower boost won't notice the benefit that much but built engines with larger PWC and ring end gaps definitely will.

It's plumbed into any of the lines that are connected to the crankcase (either of the two off the valve cover or any ones added to the block). I prefer to have it plumbed into the line on the side of the valve cover because that line is always venting, when you're under boost the other line on the back of the valve cover is closed off because the PCV valve closes, this is also why it's a good idea to enlarge the hole on the side of the valve cover to run a larger line.

The Kiggly regulator will not have any effect on crankcase pressure.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Pretty beneficial in terms of keeping a clean engine. Stock engines on lower boost won't notice the benefit that much but built engines with larger PWC and ring end gaps definitely will.

It's plumbed into any of the lines that are connected to the crankcase (either of the two off the valve cover or any ones added to the block). I prefer to have it plumbed into the line on the side of the valve cover because that line is always venting, when you're under boost the other line on the back of the valve cover is closed off because the PCV valve closes, this is also why it's a good idea to enlarge the hole on the side of the valve cover to run a larger line.

The Kiggly regulator will not have any effect on crankcase pressure.
thanks for the input. i'm a stock motor on 24psi, so probably not a ton of benefit for me then but would have thought the kiggly keeping less oil in the head would have some impact
Old Dec 26, 2018, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 722 Likes on 566 Posts
I got rid of the PCV valve to instead have that -10 port opened up for venting under boost right into a catch can. I could run it with a dual PCV valve setup to pull from intake under boost and intake mani under vacuum and get similar effects but just venting the back port has worked perfect in my case.

My setup is STM -10 on back of cover and -6 on side. Its a huge area increase over just the single factory line only pulling from the side having that extra -10 to dump pressure.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
After going through STM's trials and errors with that we've landed on this setup:

However I've already gone through the effort of 6AN on Everything from V1 so that'll remain for the time being until I change intake pipes or run into a real issue and are forced to cut it off and go 10. Its simply impossible to fit the Dual port setup they have with any stock frame setups, although some guys have got creative.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Almost exactly what I have except I have the Radium catch can and haven't bothered running the "-10 WELD FITTING TO INTAKE PIPE" part. There originally was intent to do it but I just never got around to it.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

I drilled out my side port to take a 1/2npt - 10AN fitting. That line runs to my catch can and then to the intake. The rear vent that goes to the manifold is still stock with the PCV valve but this winter I'm changing that. Putting in the STM 10AN fitting and teeing that into the side line to go to the catch can. I only run 25psi ish so I don't need a crazy huge crankcase venting system. Just don't see much value in having a connection on the intake manifold since my car is pretty much WOT all the time on track and being able to pull a vacuum with the intake is always advantageous.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Not exactly like this but close:

It provides a shaded place to wash, pressure wash, wax, build, spray paint, paint long boards, grill, chill, etc esp when something's in the way in the main bay. My idea was to also consider when, not if really, a second trailer or RV or dad's RV or something big and long wants to park without having to mess with going "in" the garage. OR, a place to put my main trailer while I'm working on something else long and tow-able inside. This is also complimented by adding a couple 50 amp plugs back there. It would also be framed in such a way that it wouldn't cost too much to enclose and insulate if that ever became a requirement. Right right now, all they would have to do is add the footers, framing, and extend the roof line, easy things to do "while your in there" but you tell us
gotcha.

i looked into that . I wanted to have to with a concrete floor. After looking at the cost it was almost the same to just enclose the "car port" so i just added some space in the shop. Should be enough to do everything inside.

We are going to look at adding a small pad for my SIL motorhome to park when they come to town with an 50amp connection close by
Old Dec 26, 2018, 01:36 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
thanks for the input. i'm a stock motor on 24psi, so probably not a ton of benefit for me then but would have thought the kiggly keeping less oil in the head would have some impact
I'm also stock motor, peak of 28psi. Haven't had a need for a catch can ,so far.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Have you had your intake manifold off anytime in the past 50k? I'd bet your intake ports have some gum in them. No car NEEDS a catch can but they're never a bad idea.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 05:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Have you had your intake manifold off anytime in the past 50k? I'd bet your intake ports have some gum in them. No car NEEDS a catch can but they're never a bad idea.
Incorrect, a stock mustang 5.0 coyote motor NEEDS a catch can. lol.

They slosh oil and end up sucking into intake causing all kinds of fun.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 07:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Yes. Once when swapping the motor. Since then, I've scoped it..but this engine only has about 5k miles.
So far, so good.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Incorrect, a stock mustang 5.0 coyote motor NEEDS a catch can. lol.

They slosh oil and end up sucking into intake causing all kinds of fun.
Same with S2000's. They dump oil out the valvecover vents on hard right handers..
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Dec 31, 2018)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Also any Direct Injection motor where you dont have the injector spraying in the intake runner. My truck is DI but havnt gotten around to installing a catch can.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Also any Direct Injection motor where you dont have the injector spraying in the intake runner. My truck is DI but havnt gotten around to installing a catch can.
Oh good point. Seems a lot of cars now are coming both direct and port injection these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?