Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Oh good point. Seems a lot of cars now are coming both direct and port injection these days.
Yeah. Seems the OEM's have learned that lesson.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'm realizing i've become a total track junkie. i'm shifting away from solo due to annoying rules and rule changes (different convo) and with some decent track apps & data for track/hpde, solo no longer holds the competition aspect in its advantage. a few buddies of mine are building cars for the off season and **** talking and i can't wait to get back out there.

i'm going to be checking over a few things for this off season, getting the diff back on, inspect the turbo as it's been whistling, and then the car is pretty much good to go. first track day planned is 5/6 with mvp track time at autobahn country club. i'm continuously checking MSR to see what other events pop up but that is the plan for now. I also need to get a lot more seat time as I'm just not that comfortable with the car at the limit on track.

The build right now is below. Make me spend my money (that I don't have)!

Power:
  • English Racing Tune @24psi
  • Buschur SCCA Legal Exhaust
  • Perrin O2 housing
  • Tanabe downpipe
  • mil.spec HFC 200cell
  • Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 lightweight battery
  • Kiggly HLA
  • Baffled Oil Pan, Tomei Crank Scraper, Ceramic Coated Downpipe
  • as of 2018, RaceFab Wet Sump
  • mil.spec Throttle Body Rebuild
  • DW300 Fuel Pump
  • Amsoil Air Filter
Drivetrain/Handling
  • Ohlins DFV 8/10k
  • CiroDesign Caster Plates
  • Corner Balance
  • WL 26mm Adjustable RSB
  • Tanabe Hollow FSB
  • WLSteering Precision Kit, LCA Bushing, RCA Bushing, RC Bushing, Bumpsteer Bushing
  • Superpro Duroball Bushings
  • Buscher Harness Bar & Schroth Harnesses
  • Binary Engineering Seat Lowering Brackets
  • TRE 6 Speed Trans
  • Shifter Bushings
  • TRE Cusco 1.5way Rear Diff
  • English Racing ACD Tune
  • Bridgestone RE71Rs
  • Suspension Set Up: -3.3 f, -1.9 r, -1/32nds toe in rear. RSB on medium, ACD on middle settings, shocks at 6 clicks from stiff on clicks all around
Brakes:
  • Racing Brake Rebuilt Calipers
  • DBA 5000 (Front) 4000 (Rear) Rotors
  • Evo X front calipers
  • ST43 front, Girodisc SS rear
  • OEM Brake Air Guides
  • Grimmspeed Brake Master Cylinder Brace
  • AMS SS Brake & Clutch Lines

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 4, 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Not sure what rule changes would effect you since your car should be in SM. The TT/TA certainly does seem appealing though, hoping more of it takes off here in the PNW. We have some really nice tracks but track days are sorta boring (no competition) and no interest in w2w racing.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
The IX is getting a FF S362 SXE turbo setup. Waiting on some goodies including the half size AC kit.

Last edited by badev0; Jan 4, 2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure what rule changes would effect you since your car should be in SM. The TT/TA certainly does seem appealing though, hoping more of it takes off here in the PNW. We have some really nice tracks but track days are sorta boring (no competition) and no interest in w2w racing.
rule changes including pushing the m3zcp that i just bought into FS, along with bull**** rules in general (not necessarily new) like boost only with ecu changes, 1 aftermarket diff being legal for all ST cars except awd, intercoolers only for STH. and the JDM rear bumper that puts me in SM. done with that stuff until something like JAM (foreign CAM equivalent) becomes legal in Solo. That's picking up, people are tired of the bs. Likewise with street classes on street tires, which are overtaking SP classes.

track days are boring unless you're with friends and have decent timing systems. time attack would be the ultimate goal for me, no w2w interest either. The gridlife/street class looks pretty darn ideal, and Tuner T2 for evos/stis with scca time trials looks pretty good too. the competition is completely there with harry's & a 10hz gps unit if you've got friends who think they're good lol
Old Jan 4, 2019, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
rule changes including pushing the m3zcp that i just bought into FS, along with bull**** rules in general (not necessarily new) like boost only with ecu changes, 1 aftermarket diff being legal for all ST cars except awd, intercoolers only for STH. and the JDM rear bumper that puts me in SM. done with that stuff until something like JAM (foreign CAM equivalent) becomes legal in Solo. That's picking up, people are tired of the bs. Likewise with street classes on street tires, which are overtaking SP classes.

track days are boring unless you're with friends and have decent timing systems. time attack would be the ultimate goal for me, no w2w interest either. The gridlife/street class looks pretty darn ideal, and Tuner T2 for evos/stis with scca time trials looks pretty good too. the competition is completely there with harry's & a 10hz gps unit if you've got friends who think they're good lol
Ahh, I see. You're looking at things not just SM (weak sauce!). CAM/JAM is really the future I think for me. Been in the hoosier game long enough, and lucky enough to not really have to buy tires anymore (winnings!) but dealing with heat cycle counts, fast wear, rain vs dry, etc. really get tiresome. My friends that moved from race tire classes and fully tracked every run went to street tires and now just run till bald.

My buddy Ryan won a national championship and Pro finale on something like 120run tires to start nats. Hoosiers are pretty much dead for me at 80 runs and not competitive before that. Driving to the nearby tracks, and just running without tire swapping would be such a novel change for my race weekends.

On the topic of SM mods, your JDM bumper is likely not SM legal install.. Hah, so you should be in XP. At least I haven't seen anyone actually do an install that is technically legal. Cutting and welding the bumper beam shorter isn't legal since you fully cut it apart and weld it back together. What you've cut off (even if you're welding it back on) is more than 1lb. At least that's the clarifications I've gotten. Would be a nit-picky thing, but at Nats its not something to risk.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Jan 4, 2019)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ahh, I see. You're looking at things not just SM (weak sauce!). CAM/JAM is really the future I think for me. Been in the hoosier game long enough, and lucky enough to not really have to buy tires anymore (winnings!) but dealing with heat cycle counts, fast wear, rain vs dry, etc. really get tiresome. My friends that moved from race tire classes and fully tracked every run went to street tires and now just run till bald.

My buddy Ryan won a national championship and Pro finale on something like 120run tires to start nats. Hoosiers are pretty much dead for me at 80 runs and not competitive before that. Driving to the nearby tracks, and just running without tire swapping would be such a novel change for my race weekends.

On the topic of SM mods, your JDM bumper is likely not SM legal install.. Hah, so you should be in XP. At least I haven't seen anyone actually do an install that is technically legal. Cutting and welding the bumper beam shorter isn't legal since you fully cut it apart and weld it back together. What you've cut off (even if you're welding it back on) is more than 1lb. At least that's the clarifications I've gotten. Would be a nit-picky thing, but at Nats its not something to risk.
yea i mean i understand the rule. i used stm's crash beam which is lighter and i believe just as strong if not stronger. i'm just not interested in dealing with that anymore. the evo will play in jam if it ever arrives, but it was not on the 2020 docket for member comment, yet anyway, likely not going to happen. the m3, maybe once in a while if it gets moved to BS, more regularly if it stays in FS, and otherwise pretty dedicated to whooping friends on track. i think that's going to be a lot more fun than beating people on index.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 01:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Once you're comfy with the car you should def come play in Gridlife. The street class could use more competitive evos.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Once you're comfy with the car you should def come play in Gridlife. The street class could use more competitive evos.
what's a competitive time for autobahn full & south with gridlife for the street class? I've seen 1:35s for south, 2:45's for full? i'm waaaay off the mark for both at the moment.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
That sounds about right. They should have the results from last season posted.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Was curious so... http://www.grid.life/track-records/
Old Jan 4, 2019, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

yes, those are right - i'm saying i'm far off pace from that
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
I have spent the last few days working on my plate front diff installation in the spare transfer box I have. The issue with plate front diffs is that they share the same oil as the gearbox and gearboxes with synchros dont like LS oils that are needed for plate diffs.
I also have a broken evo X transfer so I decided to inspect that, because evo X uses the same oil for transfer box, acd AND front diff because of the SSt gearbox. Apart from being a larger transferbox with larger front diff, what was interesting was how the separation was done on the X. No more oiling channel fron the gearbox. Front diff has a small o ring that seals the output gear on the gearbox side, and also there are 2 shaft seals between the front diff and the housing that has the ring gear attached. Also the output gear from the front diff is plugged... Front diff housing is drilled so that the oil can go in and out between the transfer box and front diff and there is no axle seal on the ACD side..... What is interesting is that the X doesnt have the oil channel between the transfer box ring gear and the ACD clutch pack , that the 9 has.
This gave me some ideas and I will have some custom axle seals made to isolate the front diff from the gearbox. I will plug the oiling channel and oil the front diff with the LS oin in the transfer box.

Evo x setup in the pics, the small flat gear is ralliart plate diff output gear.

alpinaturbo (Jan 7, 2019)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:04 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i'm realizing i've become a total track junkie........ and i can't wait to get back out there.
Muah hahaha. Welcome, welcome to the dark side It's an addiction. When it comes to car parts, track time, etc. I kinda feel like an addict because I'll do just about anything to get either.
kyoo (Jan 5, 2019)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Muah hahaha. Welcome, welcome to the dark side It's an addiction. When it comes to car parts, track time, etc. I kinda feel like an addict because I'll do just about anything to get either.
lol all i think about these days sigh. exacerbated by 5 months of off season in the midwest

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?