Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i currently have an exedy twin... i think i'm just gonna get an os giken single after this, 310/280 doesn't need **** for clutch, would rather have a nice easy pedal/engagement
Old May 1, 2019, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
I've been running ACT XTSS for years and they've been pretty dang good for me. I do have a new Exedy twin at home ready to go in but this clutch hasn't given up so I haven't seen the need to swap it just yet.

I'm also a fan of keeping the clutch restrictor in place to prevent overly ambitious clutch drop by co-drivers or myself cause things happen. Seems that buffer plus sprung hubs should do a good job of prevent shock damage to the input shaft.
Old May 1, 2019, 01:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I've been running ACT XTSS for years and they've been pretty dang good for me. I do have a new Exedy twin at home ready to go in but this clutch hasn't given up so I haven't seen the need to swap it just yet.

I'm also a fan of keeping the clutch restrictor in place to prevent overly ambitious clutch drop by co-drivers or myself cause things happen. Seems that buffer plus sprung hubs should do a good job of prevent shock damage to the input shaft.

I'd like to know if anyone has ever blown their transfer case with the clutch pill in place. Seems like a nice safety net.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
If you know TRE aka Jon you know his work. He talked my ear off for a combined total of AT LEAST 5 hours about "these * that run unsprung uber plate clutches". He's a straight shooter and convinced me to go from a Twin (which I loved) back to a HD single (which I don't). My max tune as we discussed earlier is around 400+ and it still holds well. Reason being is that the twins literally destroy the input shaft, especially unsprung, and the singles don't. He has dozens of pics of proof, so some food for thought while you have it open.
From my talks with Jon, he like the exedy twin. It has good input shaft engagement. More than most twins. I know for sure the comp twins and triple don't have enough spline engagement. Not sure about the QM's

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
I spoke to a friend who is "on the other side" of Evo Spectrum, 900whp daily driver and 1/2 mile races. A guy who is no stranger to dropping a clutch and lighting up all 4.

He said that Exedy Twin is prone to input shaft damage for cars with 700whp and more, dropping clutches etc.
And, not to break the input shaft, to wear it out sooner.

So notion that Exedy Twin is somehow inadequate, may be reflection of TRE's Jon's customer base majority, not your typical road racer.
I haven't seen this problem with the exedy twin. Although Everything I have over 700whp make to much torque for the twin to handle a launch anyways

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
My drift friend had a piece of exedy twin's disc weld onto the flywheel, ending his competition in a very dissapointing manner..
Any cerametallic material clutch will do that if you get it hot enough.

Originally Posted by Pal215
I'd like to know if anyone has ever blown their transfer case with the clutch pill in place. Seems like a nice safety net.
The clutch pill only slightly softens the blow. I would not rely on it to save the tcase from repeated harsh clutch drops. Its mostly there to make clutch engagement less abrupt for normal driving.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

I never launch the car but did find that without restrictor my second clutch set seemed to last longer than the first one ... (both OE exedy organics)
Old May 1, 2019, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I never launch the car but did find that without restrictor my second clutch set seemed to last longer than the first one ... (both OE exedy organics)
Thats a pretty soft clutch though. Get into something that can push thru the restrictor harder or needs a bit of softening like a twin and it does seem to really help at least a little. On DSMs it was a pretty big improvement adding the 2g restrictor when running a twin. That made a not insignificant difference in drivetrain life.
The following users liked this post:
kikiturbo (May 1, 2019)
Old May 1, 2019, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Ive done a crown wheel and pinion in the transfer. but they are known to crack. same as the rear diff pinion and crownwheel. on the yearly service list to replace for new ones for most of the top guys.

I blew a stock transfer case years ago but since putting a wavetrac in 7 years ago ive never had an issue
Old May 1, 2019, 03:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i currently have an exedy twin... i think i'm just gonna get an os giken single after this, 310/280 doesn't need **** for clutch, would rather have a nice easy pedal/engagement
A twin for 280ftlbs? Oh my, that's rough. I've used an ACT HDSS all the way up to 375ftlbs without so much as a hiccup.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

This place is dead again.....

In other news looks like im still too hard on the gear... Pulled rear diff apart and found the diff housing has 2 big cracks in it.

Forum Image uploader is broken (again) so ull have to click the link to see the pic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G-M...ew?usp=sharing
Old Jun 5, 2019, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Damn man, you banging gears too hard or something? I know you make pretty big power but wouldn't expect some of these failures.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
bee-raddd

I asked Kazuhiro Sato of Unlimited Works, guys who built and maintained original Cyber-Evo, about their position on Cusco RS LSD Retrofit for AYC Diff.

Sato-san strongly advised against it, citing housing weakness, many times discussed on other forums, such as MLR in UK.

Unfortunately, you have limited options, swap housing for now, and go shopping for plated RS LSD assembly, hopefully one that has Cusco or similar upgrade LSD.

By swapping housing, you will give yourself opportunity to continue racing, while shopping for the best deal without urgency.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Oh wow nicely done. We need some in-car video for that one lol.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 03:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
bee-raddd

I asked Kazuhiro Sato of Unlimited Works, guys who built and maintained original Cyber-Evo, about their position on Cusco RS LSD Retrofit for AYC Diff.

Sato-san strongly advised against it, citing housing weakness, many times discussed on other forums, such as MLR in UK.

Unfortunately, you have limited options, swap housing for now, and go shopping for plated RS LSD assembly, hopefully one that has Cusco or similar upgrade LSD.

By swapping housing, you will give yourself opportunity to continue racing, while shopping for the best deal without urgency.

Mate thats an RS diff LSD unit in the pic not a cusco ayc lsd haha.

I blew the pinion on the ayc diff with cusco and was borrowing a mechanical rear end off a mate and its cracked it.

Dallas we discovered the other day when my old tuner set up my flat shift cut he only did gear 1 - 5 and not 6th so it was getting a complete flat shift in 6th gear with no fuel cut haha. Thats prob a large proportion of the failures there
Old Jun 7, 2019, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
Hi gang. Will be getting this fixed. Somehow my clutch housing cracked and leaked fluid on an autox course
This is after 2.5 years since it was put together. 2kmi max

never hit anything. Shifts fine. I did a search and dint find many posts on this issue. Can you guys tell me is this is a common issue? Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I've only seen transmissions break like that on very high torque cars on the launch. And by high torque in mean 600wtq+. And its not that common
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Jun 7, 2019)

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?