Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:24 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
  • Replace both front seats with one piece buckets. Everyone knows the 2015 Evo X comes with base lancer seats and even with a harness, do not provide enough support to keep you still. I'm also looking forward to the weight savings.
Does a roll bar weigh less than the seats? I assume OEM seats are power with airbags?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
- Get the car to a level that it can run for more than five events before breaking down
- Pull head
- Wait for new ported and assembled head from new machine shop
- replace PTE turbo with new PTE turbo that doesn't burn oil
- If all of the above is not accomplished, sell it and buy a GT3.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Does a roll bar weigh less than the seats? I assume OEM seats are power with airbags?
Air bags yes, power no. No need for a roll bar on this autocross car. A cheap 3 point and a bucket seat will work fine. I'll be keeping the stock seat belts in the car as well.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

I would not be mad at you if you did this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
  • Stop skipping out on wet events. Practice as much as possible so your not caught out with your feet wet when it matters the most.
I love driving in the rain! Ive always like the rain drive in the Evo. It slides so well and is so predictable. But being from the PNW, we try not to be scared of the rain and just keep on keepin on.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I know some evos worth as much... (Not mine)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Current plan is to continue to allow it to collect dust until I have the motivation and money to re-rebuild (really more like refresh) the engine.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 09:00 AM
kaj

Air bags yes, power no. No need for a roll bar on this autocross car. A cheap 3 point and a bucket seat will work fine. I'll be keeping the stock seat belts in the car as well.
Makes sense. I was thinking you still drove the car on the street ,etc. I'm used to how most of us still do...even if we shouldn't.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
last winter was the big upgrade season for me - evo x brakes, oil pan, oil cooling, all in the name of track reliability. getting an OSG this off season and if I've still got corner entry push after that I'll probably slap on a bigger rear bar. Minor things aside from that, will do front and rear endlinks in hopes that that will eliminate some of my cornering clunking.

hoping to get a lot more track seat time in 2019. i suck right now, and i'm a slow learner on top of that. i need to trust my brakes more, which is tough after blowing the 9's twice (haven't blown the x brakes yet, just nervous). I end up braking too early, lift by the end/before the corner entry, and that causes additional push. this isn't the case in autox, where the car still pushes, but I'm trying to fix my behavior on this for track.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I love driving in the rain! Ive always like the rain drive in the Evo. It slides so well and is so predictable. But being from the PNW, we try not to be scared of the rain and just keep on keepin on.
The rain is amazing in an evo. im literally 2 seconds a lap quicker than everybody in the wet haha

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I know some evos worth as much... (Not mine)
I think i almost fit in to this category hahaha
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Makes sense. I was thinking you still drove the car on the street ,etc. I'm used to how most of us still do...even if we shouldn't.
I have a long commute to work so 800/900 spring rates and super stiff tire sidewalls don’t help. Maybe i’m getting old, although I did the 20 hour ride out to Lincoln on the stock wheels/all-seasons.

I accumulated a ton of miles on it when it was a stock daily driver and now prefer to use it for the fun times.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
zero local sheets of alumalite, unfortunately.
I hate the 5spd
Wow. MFactory is super reasonable on pricing. **edit never mind. The pricing I saw was for a helical unit, I guess.
Just FYI - 250 bucks for a 4x8 sheet is like paying 500 bucks for a windshield. Based on what I see in your area that sounds like "fu" pricing and they really don't want to bother shipping it in the first place. Alumalite and sign shops are just as numerous as auto parts stores. You just have to call around to see who will deal, and ask to see their scratch and dent pile, saves you 50 bucks sometimes.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

What's on the horizon for winter projects? Since my own "last winter project" just finished in October ( yeah yeah yeah, I know ), this is what I got done and then what is up for this next winter

Last Winter Project
-relocated ACD pump to passenger's side rear well: extended wiring, custom bent hardline with flex ends and custom built road debris shieldmade of 1/4" SS.
- Installed FP Red BB with vband cast O2 and water cooled Tial MVS wastegate. This mated to cast and swaintech coated FP manifold.
- Moved battery to trunk with EvoX distribution block and 150 Amp thermal breaker.
- Started custom skid plate to attach/support splitter build out.

This winter projects
- install some yummy new SSB rear trailing arms ( so sexy )
- update the rear diff ( repack or maxlock setup )
- mount/configure detatchable/adjustable splitter setup
- Transmission cooler mount and install
- some body work ( rear diffuser and some over fenders and a new paint setup in spring )
- tune the FP red come spring. Currently running 22 psi down from the 26 on stock evo IX setup.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:08 PM
kaj

I have a long commute to work so 800/900 spring rates and super stiff tire sidewalls don’t help. Maybe i’m getting old, although I did the 20 hour ride out to Lincoln on the stock wheels/all-seasons.

I accumulated a ton of miles on it when it was a stock daily driver and now prefer to use it for the fun times.
No, no. I got ya. My car sits in my garage 99% of the time. LOL. I have a modern Civic with A/T to daily. Much more comfy. I do drive the Evo to occasional shows, meets, and to the track, from time to time, so I also kept seat belts, airbags, etc. I only did the roll bar so I won't die if I rolled the car with the fixed seats. It took a while to do all at the same time. Roll bar so I could do the seat, so I could do the harness.. then the HANS blah blah,

Originally Posted by Balrok
Just FYI - 250 bucks for a 4x8 sheet is like paying 500 bucks for a windshield. Based on what I see in your area that sounds like "fu" pricing and they really don't want to bother shipping it in the first place. Alumalite and sign shops are just as numerous as auto parts stores. You just have to call around to see who will deal, and ask to see their scratch and dent pile, saves you 50 bucks sometimes.
That's what I was thinking. Most swear they don't use alumalite so have to special order. The prices they are giving me are the same as I can get by ordering retail with freight shipping. So, I take it as "I don't feel like getting you a sheet".
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Tevenor
What's on the horizon for winter projects? Since my own "last winter project" just finished in October ( yeah yeah yeah, I know ), this is what I got done and then what is up for this next winter

This winter projects
- install some yummy new SSB rear trailing arms ( so sexy )
- update the rear diff ( repack or maxlock setup )
- mount/configure detatchable/adjustable splitter setup
- Transmission cooler mount and install
- some body work ( rear diffuser and some over fenders and a new paint setup in spring )
- tune the FP red come spring. Currently running 22 psi down from the 26 on stock evo IX setup.
What's your reason for adding a trans cooler? i've considered it but decided against it because it adds weight and I'm not on track for more than 20 mins so the trans isn't getting crazy hot. Should probably do a temp sensor setup to make my decision.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?