Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2020 Gridlife Season - Changes / Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Sounds like you're afraid of all the other guys building SM cars 😉
I'm not scared of anything, however the amount of work and money to get a new motor built and installed are not really appealing. Plus wheel to wheel racing is very appealing as time attack has gotten boring for me over the last 3 years.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Eh ya, but 90% of the drivers/crowd at a Grid event are used to seeing the "festival" not SCCA. When these folks come to Grid they want smoke, fire, brimstone, and noise. Would they rather see and hear a 93 B18 fart cannon (while fun to drive in enduro) or flames shooting out of a ACR Viper. I just feel it's a sissy move to slow things down when you already have per-qualifications requirements. Aka they're more scared for themselves/insurance then they are attracting existing loyal builds. I get it, don't get me wrong, it's just Grid was different for a reason and now it's peddling backwards.

The upside however is if they manage to build an American Touring Car series like BTC where money and door banging become the attraction. But I don't see any non-nascar insurer getting near that concept lol.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
I'm not scared of anything, however the amount of work and money to get a new motor built and installed are not really appealing. Plus wheel to wheel racing is very appealing as time attack has gotten boring for me over the last 3 years.
Haha I know just yanking your chain. I'd like to see someone snag a could SM wins with an evo but I get what you're saying. I just don't desire to do w2w stuff (yet).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

The only real quirky w2w is when you go SpecMiata or even SpecE30 as they tap bumpers on the norm because the cars are cheap. The higher classes are all very careful drivers who remind themselves this is all for a plastic trophy and not worth 5k in body work, so it's really mostly gentlemen drivers. It's like doing your first track day, then your hooked right. Once you've done your first real race, you'll never go back
Old Jan 3, 2019, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
The only real quirky w2w is when you go SpecMiata or even SpecE30 as they tap bumpers on the norm because the cars are cheap. The higher classes are all very careful drivers who remind themselves this is all for a plastic trophy and not worth 5k in body work, so it's really mostly gentlemen drivers. It's like doing your first track day, then your hooked right. Once you've done your first real race, you'll never go back
this is exactly why they classed in the cars i stated earlier. ever seen a honda challenge race? we beat on each other and then open beers and fix the cars, rinse and repeat. they have put together multiple classes of cheap cars with decent speed that will put on a show. there is already a solid list of well known scca and nasa drivers planning on attending.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
what's a good bones setup for a 2019 street gridlife evo 9/x? 24psi, tune, coilovers, wider wheels & tires?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
this is exactly why they classed in the cars i stated earlier. ever seen a honda challenge race? we beat on each other and then open beers and fix the cars, rinse and repeat. they have put together multiple classes of cheap cars with decent speed that will put on a show. there is already a solid list of well known scca and nasa drivers planning on attending.
Your starting to get the picture or confusion... this is exactly why GL likely won't be attracting DSport or any high value teams and most of those guys would be running Global instead? GL is basically attracting the party goers that "just wanna go" not necessary "break records". In that case cool, it's nice to give the spec crowd even more events to drag the RV out to. Good people, give you the shirt off their back if they wore one
Old Jan 4, 2019, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
what's a good bones setup for a 2019 street gridlife evo 9/x? 24psi, tune, coilovers, wider wheels & tires?
Plus a bit of other suspension work, diffs, bolt on mods (IC pipes, small battery, light exhaust) remove AC, other weight removed where you can. If I were you I'd consider looking at an aftermarket seat. I've only sat in stock evo seats a couple times and not on track but a well bolstered seat makes a huge difference being able to focus on your driving.

Your starting to get the picture or confusion... this is exactly why GL likely won't be attracting DSport or any high value teams and most of those guys would be running Global instead? GL is basically attracting the party goers that "just wanna go" not necessary "break records". In that case cool, it's nice to give the spec crowd even more events to drag the RV out to. Good people, give you the shirt off their back if they wore one
I think their aim is to pull in big(ish) names for time attack and have w2w be for the club/spec crowd without standardizing chassis or anything like that. I think it's a formula that could work well.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin

Plus a bit of other suspension work, diffs, bolt on mods (IC pipes, small battery, light exhaust) remove AC, other weight removed where you can. If I were you I'd consider looking at an aftermarket seat. I've only sat in stock evo seats a couple times and not on track but a well bolstered seat makes a huge difference being able to focus on your driving.

I think their aim is to pull in big(ish) names for time attack and have w2w be for the club/spec crowd without standardizing chassis or anything like that. I think it's a formula that could work well.
all 3 diffs are legal? i've got exhaust & small battery, intercooler pipes ok? what about intercooler? i don't really have much other weight i can pull from the car. I considered a seat but passing for now.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

i cant tell if we agree or disagree? lol. have you been to one of their events?

GL pulls big names in my opinion GST/James Houghton/PZtuning/Can Jam/ProAwesome/RSMotors etc are about as fast as it gets imho. i think your gonna be surpised by what happens with the w2w
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
all 3 diffs are legal? i've got exhaust & small battery, intercooler pipes ok? what about intercooler? i don't really have much other weight i can pull from the car. I considered a seat but passing for now.
If the rules don't call it out then it's legal. All diffs are legal, intercooler is legal, pretty much the only power mod you can't do is modify any of the wheels in the turbo. There's always more weight you can pull

I think the w2w stuff is a good idea. I think they're only doing one w2w at a festival but I think people will enjoy watching. The bracket battles were a big crowd puller last year so I know we're going to see more of that.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i cant tell if we agree or disagree? lol. have you been to one of their events?

GL pulls big names in my opinion GST/James Houghton/PZtuning/Can Jam/ProAwesome/RSMotors etc are about as fast as it gets imho. i think your gonna be surpised by what happens with the w2w
Ya I've been and won a few. We agree, your making my point, but leaving off the ending lol. All those names HAVE run with GL and likely will this season too - however - with the 3 clubs now semi-merging, if you will, I believe those folks will be more focused on the Global Time Attack season and GL then becomes the "festival/fun" event. Another way of putting it would be that this move is taking the cherry and icing off the GL cake and giving it to Global, while adding chocolate chips to the GL batter. Will it pay off and sell more cake, or will it spoil the flavor everyone once expected and the Cooking channel no longer calls them up.

I believe that if they would have started with a 6:1 or 8:1 class it would have kept the high dollar builds coming in and would have allowed the above mentioned to double dip. But whos to say they still don't right.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 02:44 PM
EvoM Guru

A lot of the guys who compete at the festivals already compete in GTA. I don't think any of the guys who do all the GL rounds will skip GL stuff for GTA. There was also mention at the PRI summit meeting of possibly making some GTA events worth points for GL series, we'll see how to work that out if they decide to do it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I've been and won a few. We agree, your making my point, but leaving off the ending lol. All those names HAVE run with GL and likely will this season too - however - with the 3 clubs now semi-merging, if you will, I believe those folks will be more focused on the Global Time Attack season and GL then becomes the "festival/fun" event. Another way of putting it would be that this move is taking the cherry and icing off the GL cake and giving it to Global, while adding chocolate chips to the GL batter. Will it pay off and sell more cake, or will it spoil the flavor everyone once expected and the Cooking channel no longer calls them up.

I believe that if they would have started with a 6:1 or 8:1 class it would have kept the high dollar builds coming in and would have allowed the above mentioned to double dip. But whos to say they still don't right.
word, now i get it haha. the whole merger thing was odd to me at first as well, but i see how it could manage to NOT dilute anything. i think we definitely wont be able to make full judgement with only the 4 events this year
Old Jan 6, 2019, 04:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
SM: “Cars must retain full dash, climate systems and controls...”

Does this mean you have to retain A/C?

Quick Reply: 2020 Gridlife Season - Changes / Discussion