CAE Shifter - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

CAE Shifter

Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:24 AM
yip
Evolving Member

CAE Shifter

Just pulled the trigger on ordering a CAE shifter. Recently installed a Sparco seat in my 8 and I started running into problems with it interfering with my shifting along with the shifter getting sloppy. Did very little research and kinda jumped the gun on buying one of these. Please tell me I made the right choice? :P

Anybody here currently running these on their track cars? I'm really hoping the height and shift feel is greatly improved. My main worry though is how notchy it might feel as I've usually stuck with stock shifters because I don't care much for notchy hard to engage short throw shifters.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

You'll love it. Shifts are short and precise, it's nothing like a drop in short shifter. The fulcrum point is raised a couple inches which is why it's so much better than a piece that drops into the stock cage.

I had to wait about 6 weeks to get mine because they're made to order in Germany but the wait was worth it. I also recently raised it another 3" to get it a bit higher. Second photo is raised 3", puts the knob right at the center of the steering wheel.

Old Dec 30, 2018, 01:20 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

For $1000, it better shift for me.

Old Dec 30, 2018, 06:33 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Wonder how it compares to the IRP shifter?

Youve already bought but this one caught my eye as well. With ayoustin's comments, that should make you feel good about the purchase!

Old Dec 30, 2018, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

It's exactly the same. RTD made a knock off of the CAE as well. So did Coolerworx. CAE just has the best quality IMO. I had an IRP in my miata, it was nice but I hated that I couldn't change the knob on it. Also the IRP had some weird resonant sound that it'd make because they retardedly shaped the shaft in the shape of a tuning fork. I got around that by filling the gaps with urethane, still a stupid oversight though.

Last edited by ayoustin; Dec 30, 2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:46 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin View Post
It's exactly the same. RTD made a knock off of the CAE as well. So did Coolerworx. CAE just has the best quality IMO. I had an IRP in my miata, it was nice but I hated that I couldn't change the knob on it. Also the IRP had some weird resonant sound that it'd make because they retardedly shaped the shaft in the shape of a tuning fork. I got around that by filling the gaps with urethane, still a stupid oversight though.

Good to know and hear you have one and have been happy with it. Didn't even see any other options when I googled "motor sports shifter EVO" last night.

To me shift feel is super important to the overall experience so cannot wait to get it in hand and installed.

Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, I'm the same way. Driver connection is one of the largest considerations I have when building a car. If you're more comfortable and confident you can always push the car harder.

My CAE is definitely my favorite feeling shifter I've had my hands on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.