Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

CAE Shifter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:24 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
CAE Shifter

Just pulled the trigger on ordering a CAE shifter. Recently installed a Sparco seat in my 8 and I started running into problems with it interfering with my shifting along with the shifter getting sloppy. Did very little research and kinda jumped the gun on buying one of these. Please tell me I made the right choice? :P

Anybody here currently running these on their track cars? I'm really hoping the height and shift feel is greatly improved. My main worry though is how notchy it might feel as I've usually stuck with stock shifters because I don't care much for notchy hard to engage short throw shifters.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
You'll love it. Shifts are short and precise, it's nothing like a drop in short shifter. The fulcrum point is raised a couple inches which is why it's so much better than a piece that drops into the stock cage.

I had to wait about 6 weeks to get mine because they're made to order in Germany but the wait was worth it. I also recently raised it another 3" to get it a bit higher. Second photo is raised 3", puts the knob right at the center of the steering wheel.

Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
For $1000, it better shift for me.

Old Dec 30, 2018, 05:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Wonder how it compares to the IRP shifter?

Youve already bought but this one caught my eye as well. With ayoustin's comments, that should make you feel good about the purchase!

Old Dec 30, 2018, 05:53 PM
EvoM Guru

It's exactly the same. RTD made a knock off of the CAE as well. So did Coolerworx. CAE just has the best quality IMO. I had an IRP in my miata, it was nice but I hated that I couldn't change the knob on it. Also the IRP had some weird resonant sound that it'd make because they unknowingly shaped the shaft in the shape of a tuning fork. I got around that by filling the gaps with urethane, still a stupid oversight though.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Feb 24, 2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 09:46 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
It's exactly the same. RTD made a knock off of the CAE as well. So did Coolerworx. CAE just has the best quality IMO. I had an IRP in my miata, it was nice but I hated that I couldn't change the knob on it. Also the IRP had some weird resonant sound that it'd make because they retardedly shaped the shaft in the shape of a tuning fork. I got around that by filling the gaps with urethane, still a stupid oversight though.

Good to know and hear you have one and have been happy with it. Didn't even see any other options when I googled "motor sports shifter EVO" last night.

To me shift feel is super important to the overall experience so cannot wait to get it in hand and installed.

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Yup, I'm the same way. Driver connection is one of the largest considerations I have when building a car. If you're more comfortable and confident you can always push the car harder.

My CAE is definitely my favorite feeling shifter I've had my hands on.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:23 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Yup, I'm the same way. Driver connection is one of the largest considerations I have when building a car. If you're more comfortable and confident you can always push the car harder.

My CAE is definitely my favorite feeling shifter I've had my hands on.
I just installed mine and I have to say it's worth every penny and I would even consider paying more for now that I know how much of a difference it makes. I have always had a huge dislike for cable operated shifters. I feel no matter how good the OEM's are getting at making them they still don't have the feel of a 90's honda or my stock Corvette shifter.

With this shifter I would say the feel is on par with my aftermarket Z06 shifter while not being too notchy. I'm looking forward to getting it on the track!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Pics!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Looks like you cant install that shifter with the center console in tact, is that correct? I would like a taller shifter, but not a $1000 shifter.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I have seen a few pics of the IRP installed with the console "trimmed" to allow it to fit. The CEA looks much bigger and would likely require too much cutting cutting of the console to bother with keeping it. I know for SM you need all of the front interior, including the console. Not sure if you can trim it to fit "allowable parts" like a shifter though.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Can definitely trim the console to fit, but still needs to maintain its basic look. No bare sheet metal exposed really other than removed rear seats.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
This is where I saw the console trimmed for the IRP. Definitely maintains the "basic look" IMO.

http://burstcraftusa.com/product/irp...-evo-5-9-5spd/
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Looks like you cant install that shifter with the center console in tact, is that correct? I would like a taller shifter, but not a $1000 shifter.
It's worth it. Make it fit
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Theres only so much "make it work" you can do with the rules. But you can trim around a cage so might be able to trim around something like this. Though I dont have to shift too much in AX so its less of a concern. But with TT starting, I may end up with something.

Quick Reply: CAE Shifter