Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Feal 441 (standard spring) vs Fortune Auto 500 (standard spring)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Feal 441 (standard spring) vs Fortune Auto 500 (standard spring)

First, yes I searched.

So I’d like to hear real world experience from people who track these cars a lot, using one of these COs. I’m gonna buy one of the stated coil overs, so please don’t suggest others COs or the Swift upgrade (budget).

So if you have real track experience with either of those sets of coils, I’d love to hear your reviews, likes, dislikes and comparisons.

Some info on my car. Evo 8, 420whp on a red, 17x9 track wheels. 3-6 track days a year. Evo is my weekend/track car n not my daily. Local track is Thunderhill.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Mar 22, 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
From looking at pictures and how they each describe their parts, I would venture to say they're the same dampers. So, pick the one that is closer to you so shipping is cheaper and quicker for future rebuilds/revalves.

Otherwise, Ohlins.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I leaned toward the Fortune Autos after speaking to them about my plans for the car. They suggested spring rates perfect for me and I've had them on for about 5 years no issues or complaints
Old Mar 22, 2019, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
From looking at pictures and how they each describe their parts, I would venture to say they're the same dampers. So, pick the one that is closer to you so shipping is cheaper and quicker for future rebuilds/revalves.

Otherwise, Ohlins.
so I’m taking that you haven’t used them or owned them yet? If so, thank you for your comment but I’m looking for real owners/users, not just talk, no offense.

Btw, I’m jay from boosted tuning, so I’m not a noob or anything.

and yep, I know ohlins are where it’s at, but like I mentioned I’m staying within a budget. I’m actually staying within that budget to see if I can have lower lap times then ohlins owners on my local track. The ol “do the same or better with less concept”

Originally Posted by Kada__85
I leaned toward the Fortune Autos after speaking to them about my plans for the car. They suggested spring rates perfect for me and I've had them on for about 5 years no issues or complaints
nice to hear bout them lasting. So you have the 500s? Have you tracked (road course) them?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo_Jay
so I’m taking that you haven’t used them or owned them yet? If so, thank you for your comment but I’m looking for real owners/users, not just talk, no offense.
Btw, I’m jay from boosted tuning, so I’m not a noob or anything.
and yep, I know ohlins are where it’s at, but like I mentioned I’m staying within a budget. I’m actually staying within that budget to see if I can have lower lap times then ohlins owners on my local track. The ol “do the same or better with less concept”
No, I had stance's on my car, now Ohlins. I've driven Evo's with FA's, they did not impress compared to the ohlins. Feal gives me no reason to believe they're anything other than similar to the FA's. They use a single digressive piston just like the FA's. You're compromising on performance for the price point that isn't too much different- I'm just being honest.

As is usual, if you're a better drive than the guys on ohlins, you'll still probably be faster than them. Just like a better driver will be faster in a 400whp car than a noob in a 600whp car.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

You're compromising on performance for the price point that isn't too much different- I'm just being honest.
Are you saying the price point of Feal Vs FA isn't too much different (which there isn't any difference on my wholesale pricing) or are you saying that the price on the between Feal/FA vs Ohlins isn't too different? Because Ohlins are about 1000 more then the Feals/FAs, which is a decent difference.

Plus, money isn't an issue. I could buy two sets of Ohlins if I wanted. I just want to use a lower price point CO and see how/what I do on my local track and how I do vs others with Ohlins (like I mentioned), before I go to the more expensive CO.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts

Otherwise, Ohlins.
This is pretty much what I have been thinking lately, All these coilovers in that mid price range (above the "pick your color" coilover like Tein or megan) are using the same cartridge to build around. They all seem to have a knee around 1 in/sec which I feel is too low. Too much damper force at low speed then of course blowing off.

So with FA, Stance, Reinhardt, and a few others, I get the feeling they are purchasing some common core. Then it comes to who can you get service from and whats their total package look like.

Old Mar 23, 2019, 01:59 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
So with FA, Stance, Reinhardt, and a few others, I get the feeling they are purchasing some common core. Then it comes to who can you get service from and whats their total package look like.
If that is the case, FA has really, really, really good customer service. Best I've seen from a coilover manufacturer, when spending below $4k (and probably far more...?).

Jay you are doing all this just for funsies? I wish I could buy stuff for the sake of seeing "what if?". But, that's kinda why I keep my car mostly stock. I like when people come to see "what do you have done to this thing" and are bummed when they see a basically stock engine bay LOL
Old Mar 23, 2019, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
If that is the case, FA has really, really, really good customer service. Best I've seen from a coilover manufacturer, when spending below $4k (and probably far more...?).

Jay you are doing all this just for funsies? I wish I could buy stuff for the sake of seeing "what if?". But, that's kinda why I keep my car mostly stock. I like when people come to see "what do you have done to this thing" and are bummed when they see a basically stock engine bay LOL
I should bug FA and see if they can move the velocity knee or if that's 1in/sec as a function of the internal design. I would really like to see it more in the 3in/sec front and 2in/sec rear (becaus of the motion ratio). But I don't want forced to jump so suddenly on normal chassis moves.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

I've never really looked at the shock dyno's closely, but I agree that having the valving start to blow off at only 1in/sec seems really low. Body roll on sharp turn in would easily exceed that.