Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Oil Pressure drop right hander question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
But how do I make 1.4-1.5g stay happy?!

I know TPA is hitting something over 2g at speed on the banked corner at GTAC last year. But pretty sure they solved that with a dry sump
I think you need an affordable dry sump..
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
TPA is Team Professional Awesome or?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ya old topic. But in my last race where it has 5 second right hand sweepers my oil pressure didn't drop below 50psi with the RaceFab pan. Lat G's were only around 1.2 because the tires gave out. I've been very impressed with how it's held pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Abacus (Apr 19, 2019)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i got a racefab pan to set it and forget it. also have a tomei crank slicer and kiggly hla, all to keep more oil in the pan. other than accusump or dry sump, i think this is a pretty reasonable solution
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Yes the Pro Awe guys are running a dry sump now. I was checking it out when I swung by their shop last fall. Can't remember if it's a Norris or Magnus kit.

While we're talking about pans, y'all should go pester MAP to make us 4G guys a nice cast Al pan like they did for the 4B.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Ya old topic. But in my last race where it has 5 second right hand sweepers my oil pressure didn't drop below 50psi with the RaceFab pan. Lat G's were only around 1.2 because the tires gave out. I've been very impressed with how it's held pressure.
At 1.1g (per cell phone) I'm at 90ish, so *assuming* I'd be in line with your numbers as Gs go up. That's all good news to me. Woot
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I shoudla got in on the racefab pan while it was available on group buy. I have an accusump in a box on the shelf, cant decide if its even worth it putting in. It should only really act as a buffer for pressure which may be ok to smooth out and delay a big dip. Plus give some volume not at the front of the car.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Dallas to make you feel better I just looked back through my emails and the exchange rate when I did the group buy wasn't as favorable as it is now.

Also, I should have data for you in the next few months on oil pressure with the RF pan and some small oiling mods as well as with a 3qt Accusump. Ill try back to back runs with Accusump valve open vs closed to see what it actually does.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
You sound ok with oil pressure dropping to 50. Is that considered ok? I drop to 40 so if 50 was fine, then I might be fine at 40?.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Ive tried baffled sumps and accusump.

Issue with accusump is that it will pump and pump till it runs out of oil then boom u have nothing at all. also it sucks the oil back so if u have multiple turns one after the other it wont recharge fast enough and it can leave ur actual pan quite empty for longer than u want as it sucks oil back into itself.

Baffled sump didnt help me either but i have quite a bit of aero and full slicks.

The core issue i found from my research is that its that the oil all ends up in the head and on the sustained right hand corners it cannot gravity feed back down to the sump. so while a baffled sump helps a lil it doesnt attack the core problem of the oil getting rammed in the head.

One thing that does make a difference ive been told. i bought one but sold it when i went drysump before installing is the Kiggly HLA. Has anybody given that a go?

You can also get more extreme by opening the oil return galleries or making an external return from the head down to the sump etc.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
^Agreed. Most of us that have these pans have the Kiggly and the Tomei slicer. Kinda silly to put stock back in But as the saying goes if you want the best ya gotta pay for it.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 03:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd

The core issue i found from my research is that its that the oil all ends up in the head and on the sustained right hand corners it cannot gravity feed back down to the sump. so while a baffled sump helps a lil it doesnt attack the core problem of the oil getting rammed in the head.

One thing that does make a difference ive been told. i bought one but sold it when i went drysump before installing is the Kiggly HLA. Has anybody given that a go?

You can also get more extreme by opening the oil return galleries or making an external return from the head down to the sump etc.
1. Interesting. That's why I turned down an 818C. That Subaru engine...same problem, even on DOTs.
2. I think everyone runs a Kiggly. It's something every Evo owner should do, IMO.
3. Details on the galleries and external return? Sounds promising.

Last edited by kaj; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Its an old DSM trick to port all the drain back passages, I did that first time my head was off. Evo does have some pretty bad casting flash in that area and I have heard of some with nearly fully blocked drains.

Ive also pulled the balance shafts and squirters all to reduce the number of things using oil. So now oil goes to head for cams controlled by kiggly HLA and then to crank to get rods/main journals. Doing that will totally jack up your oil pressure so you also have to heavily port the oil pressure regulator return port and potentially run a lighter spring (JNZ tuning sell the light spring). All this helps to control how much oil flow you use.

I also want to put in the ER oil pump gear to pump less fluid and probably put back in the heavy regulator spring (to increase base pressure). All these thing help by just needing less fluid overall from the reservoir, flow out trying to balance flow in. Now if I have more fluid in the pan, something like a baffled pan should actually help things. Especially if we can add more capacity to it.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 05:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I shoudla got in on the racefab pan while it was available on group buy.
yup . Me too.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
How many would be needed to do another group buy?