Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2019 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Dallas,
Congrats on great win man! Top pax over some really fast guys is a huge deal!

Now, do you have any info on how wide Evo X could get tires wise?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 722 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Dallas,
Congrats on great win man! Top pax over some really fast guys is a huge deal!

Now, do you have any info on how wide Evo X could get tires wise?
Thanks dude.

On EvoX I would say at a minimum you need to be on 315s but to be competitive it needs 335s at nats level. Local Tours/Pros 315s are totally going to be fine unless you get a ringer in the glass. Its not likely I'll ever push an X to the tire limit though since I don't have one and not in the market for one.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats again to you and Doug on the 1-2 this past weekend! One of these days, we'll get a picture lol
Old May 1, 2019, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I have a set of flags looking for a new home. Pm me if interested.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
I have a set of flags looking for a new home. Pm me if interested.
Paired with the canister locating pin I make to fix their main flaw, these are probably going to be the best deal someone can pickup for STU/ASP/SM. @terror rising

They do have some effect on fitting tires next to the strut with the location of the reservoir but I did 295s under heavily pulled fenders and now 315s with them. 335s is my only reason for wanting to change to get more in-board clearance.
Old May 4, 2019, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Because SM... I thought there was two different oils under the car coming from the same place the axle boot popped off but didnt really think a lot about it as I was busy making parts all week. Dug into it today a little bit and the power steering rack return line fitting came loose. WTF?! It hasnt been touched since it left mitsubishi (one of the only things on the car at this point) and the torture test somehow backed it out but not during any of our ~35 runs. Once it all cooled sunday it must have backed itself out.

Haha, trying to run at the top of SM nationally ain't for the faint of heart
Old May 4, 2019, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm guessing the PS pump/rack is struggling with 3XX tires and high caster plus AX quick transitions haha
Old May 4, 2019, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I'm guessing the PS pump/rack is struggling with 3XX tires and high caster plus AX quick transitions haha
Its possible. We may need to look at putting a real PS cooler in next to the oil cooler at some point instead of the looped tube. I had to do that in my old DSM cause it was notorious for boiling fluid and getting PS cut. A cheap cooler yanked from a ford aerovan (or whatever) was a perfect $15 fix there.
Old May 4, 2019, 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Its possible. We may need to look at putting a real PS cooler in next to the oil cooler at some point instead of the looped tube. I had to do that in my old DSM cause it was notorious for boiling fluid and getting PS cut. A cheap cooler yanked from a ford aerovan (or whatever) was a perfect $15 fix there.
I picked up a small Hayden cooler from the local Orielys Auto Parts for 30bucks or so. Actually just welded in some small brackets to mount it. At the time I did it mainly to create room between the intercooler and radiator but its easily a step up from the factory "cooler" hard line.
Old May 5, 2019, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Not sure if you saw this pic in my build thread but I choose to get rid of the metal loop bc I always hated that thing picked up a tiny Setrab cooler fabbed some brackets made a couple lines and good to go. I don't think you need much at all to improve upon the OEM setup.
Old May 5, 2019, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Not sure if you saw this pic in my build thread but I choose to get rid of the metal loop bc I always hated that thing picked up a tiny Setrab cooler fabbed some brackets made a couple lines and good to go. I don't think you need much at all to improve upon the OEM setup.
Thats nice. I decided to go el cheapo since its power steering. But yeah a Setrab for that as well is even better.

Here is where I am with my setup for ref

Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:48 AM
EvoM Guru

I'll just leave this here...

Doing some final prep for Solo Nats 2019 and finishing up the new brake setup. This should be 25lbs off the front of the car from the current SSB uprights and PFE 2piece rotors.

I also ordered some new wheels to save another 5.1 lbs per wheel over the Forgestar setup. Total should drop me ~45lbs of all unsprung weight with 35 of it off the front. And a spal 12" fan to dump that tank of a stock fan, another 5-6lbs in front of the axle.

The following users liked this post:
MrAWD (Jul 26, 2019)
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well that looks amazing! Which wheels did you go with?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Sexy parts pics as usual, Dallas. What's the car weigh in at these days?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Hoojan
Well that looks amazing! Which wheels did you go with?
I'll post up picks once I get them but ordered Volk ZE40 in 18x12 +20

Originally Posted by terror rising
Sexy parts pics as usual, Dallas. What's the car weigh in at these days?
Thanks man. Car use to be lighter on 285s but splitter and big rubber added a bunch in. At packwood tour/pro with just under 3/8 of a tank I was 3000. These changes will get me back to 2950. I have another 50+ lbs I can get off the front with some things planned and there is a ton of weight in the back I haven't touched because honestly its just in a good location so no reason to yank it.

This winter Im going to pull the drivetrain to inspect things and look for more potential savings again. Have an idea for something interesting and different in the motor mount area... Prepare your wallets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion