Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Buttonwillow - 6/21

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 08:21 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buttonwillow - 6/21

Hi all,

With only 10 days to go to our Friday, June 21st Buttonwillow event, the weather promises to be glorious, dry and perfect for honing your lap times! We have several run groups to choose from, and all groups get a full 5 sessions at 20 mins each. For more details and to register please visit the following URL:

http://msreg.com/turn8062119

Use code LAST20 for an instant 20% off the regular price!
If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Our last event in April was pretty awesome - check out the pics on our Instagram page (@turn8trackdays).

Thanks!

S.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I want to come out, but it's just too damn hot to be driving south right now. What kind of temps are you guys seeing at the track? I don't do well with heat... :P I'd rather stand in the pouring rain with NWRA, personally LOL
Old Jun 12, 2019, 05:24 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I want to come out, but it's just too damn hot to be driving south right now. What kind of temps are you guys seeing at the track? I don't do well with heat... :P I'd rather stand in the pouring rain with NWRA, personally LOL
Hi Fox,

Right now the max temp is forecasted to be 96F, which probably won’t be reached until later in the afternoon. Honestly not too bad! We also have the main air conditioned building available to hang out in in-between sessions.

I’ve attended much hotter days personally so I think the temp will be fine

Thanks!

S.
The following users liked this post:
Fox_IX (Jun 12, 2019)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 07:15 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Get yourself a cool shirt. I bought a shirt and made my own set up for it. It's the best summer time investment I've ever made.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Other then track time itself, it's by far the best driver enhancement. I'm upgrading to a ChillOut if anyone's interested in my cool suit stuff.

1. Portable coolsuit bag, cig adapter, 2 white shirts
2. 12qt cooler system, 2 prong hard wired adapter, 1 black shirt with SFI disconnects.

Only thing you'll need is the 6foot hose as I'm keeping that.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Get yourself a cool shirt. I bought a shirt and made my own set up for it. It's the best summer time investment I've ever made.
Originally Posted by Balrok
Other then track time itself, it's by far the best driver enhancement. I'm upgrading to a ChillOut if anyone's interested in my cool suit stuff.

1. Portable coolsuit bag, cig adapter, 2 white shirts
2. 12qt cooler system, 2 prong hard wired adapter, 1 black shirt with SFI disconnects.

Only thing you'll need is the 6foot hose as I'm keeping that.
Definitely on my list! Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to get one and try to make it out there!
Would also love to see your guys' mounting solutions for the coolsuit gear.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
If you have full interior then the motorcycle bag aka portable is the way to go. Strapped in, cig lighter plug, fill and go. I have no pass seat let alone interior so I have a dozen places to put the full size cooler.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 05:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Definitely on my list! Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to get one and try to make it out there!
Would also love to see your guys' mounting solutions for the coolsuit gear.
I riveted my mounting strap to the floor, behind my driver seet. For the heck of it, I use a really strong bungie cord as back up. I have no carpet/back seats, so the cord criss crosses the strap using one of the holes the rear seat cusion snaps into and goes forward from there. I can post a pic if you want. It's the easiest/most convenient place I could find to put it. I run power from the cigarette lighter harness (I think... would need to have to look to confirm) which goes under my center console (had to keep because cup holder LOL) and has a 6" pigtail that terminates into a 2-wire WhetherPak plug. The pump draws so little, I didn't even need to use a relay. It's a really, really sweet setup. I think I may have paid about $75 for the parts to build and another $110 for the shirt. Totally, absolutely, completely worth it.
During my last track day, I left the A/C on in the pits, before staging. Between that and the shirt, I got cold. I had to turn off the A/C. After my session, my head wasn't even sweating in my helmet.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:11 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I riveted my mounting strap to the floor, behind my driver seet. For the heck of it, I use a really strong bungie cord as back up. I have no carpet/back seats, so the cord criss crosses the strap using one of the holes the rear seat cusion snaps into and goes forward from there. I can post a pic if you want. It's the easiest/most convenient place I could find to put it. I run power from the cigarette lighter harness (I think... would need to have to look to confirm) which goes under my center console (had to keep because cup holder LOL) and has a 6" pigtail that terminates into a 2-wire WhetherPak plug. The pump draws so little, I didn't even need to use a relay. It's a really, really sweet setup. I think I may have paid about $75 for the parts to build and another $110 for the shirt. Totally, absolutely, completely worth it.
During my last track day, I left the A/C on in the pits, before staging. Between that and the shirt, I got cold. I had to turn off the A/C. After my session, my head wasn't even sweating in my helmet.
Hey kaj - how did you make it? I've been looking at various methods - since I'm very DIY/hands on, I prefer to make my own. Just interested in the route you went. Did you just use an ice cooler with pump? Do you have any priming issues?

Thanks!

S.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:44 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Rom
Hey kaj - how did you make it? I've been looking at various methods - since I'm very DIY/hands on, I prefer to make my own. Just interested in the route you went. Did you just use an ice cooler with pump? Do you have any priming issues?

Thanks!

S.
I pretty much followed this how-to http://forums.nasaaz.com/showthread.php?t=6608

Use the METAL hose ends (PLCD17006), not the plastic versions, as they reportedly work with all cool shirts. From what I've read the plastic ends are only compatible with one brand shirt, I don't remember which. I used an Ultra Chiller shirt for my setup. I can't confirm which other shirts work with the metal ends because the companies I contacted did NOT want to share information seeing how I wasn't buying their coolers.
Priming issues?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:40 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I pretty much followed this how-to http://forums.nasaaz.com/showthread.php?t=6608

Use the METAL hose ends (PLCD17006), not the plastic versions, as they reportedly work with all cool shirts. From what I've read the plastic ends are only compatible with one brand shirt, I don't remember which. I used an Ultra Chiller shirt for my setup. I can't confirm which other shirts work with the metal ends because the companies I contacted did NOT want to share information seeing how I wasn't buying their coolers.
Priming issues?
Thanks kaj! By priming I meant the cavitation issue that is mentioned. When that happens the pump has issues priming and nothing flows. Looks like the thread recommended mounting horizontally to get around that issue.

By the way, we’ve now got a FLASH30 code available for 30% off, so if anyone still wants to come, we still have some space!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 05:03 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Rom
Thanks kaj! By priming I meant the cavitation issue that is mentioned. When that happens the pump has issues priming and nothing flows. Looks like the thread recommended mounting horizontally to get around that issue.

By the way, we’ve now got a FLASH30 code available for 30% off, so if anyone still wants to come, we still have some space!

Thanks!

S.
I think I mounted my pump normally and no problems as of yet. It would be super ready to just lay it down, though.