Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Rear wing options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 02:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I had originally planned to go with Aeromotion via HondayGuy's connection but I'm going to be listing my house and buying a new one so I cant make a big purchase at the moment. Then Austin mentioned NLR and suggested to them to allow me to be somewhat of a test mule. Short of the story is I'm getting one of their wings for a scant $400. Will prob have the wing itself anodized black because I dont like the look of brushed alum on a silver car.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ciro designs do in fact, use the apr airfoils. The single-element is the apr 250, dual-element is the Apr 1000.

George
Old Jul 27, 2019, 09:17 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
subbed for info. If anyone finds this via search and is looking for an OTS solution, my APR 200 with APR risers works really well at the lowest AOA and otherwise stock aero. It balanced the car out perfectly. I plan to finish my splitter then reassess. I'm hoping the wing will work with my splitter then a home-made diffuser for the back. We'll see, though.
Eventually I'd like to have enough front/side/under aero to need one of these fancy wings.
The following users liked this post:
jedibow (Jul 28, 2019)
Old Jul 28, 2019, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
subbed for info. If anyone finds this via search and is looking for an OTS solution, my APR 200 with APR risers works really well at the lowest AOA and otherwise stock aero. It balanced the car out perfectly. I plan to finish my splitter then reassess. I'm hoping the wing will work with my splitter then a home-made diffuser for the back. We'll see, though.
Eventually I'd like to have enough front/side/under aero to need one of these fancy wings.
I believe in you Kaj lol
Old Jul 28, 2019, 01:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by jedibow
I believe in you Kaj lol
I'm keeping the hope alive.
The following users liked this post:
jedibow (Jul 29, 2019)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have to say, the nicest built wings I have seen in recent memory were from Zebulon. You can find him on FB etc. Everything is custom built, and he supplies wings to many serious autox competitors. All them are AMAZING build quality and profile. If i was looking for something I would be contacting him and seeing what he has to offer.

I have installed a couple of the NLR wings, and I think they are a great value for money as a single element wing. However with the trailing edge being pretty much square, it will not function nearly as well as the ciro etc in a dual element configuration. I am sure that it works, and that it does make more with a flap.....but on a dual element wing there is a ton of performance on the table if the lower element has a well profiled knife edge trailing edge. As found on the Zebulon and Ciro wings.

There is enough material there I think you could sand it, but it would be slow going!

https://www.zebulonmsc.com/

Zack
Old Aug 1, 2019, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
how do you guys feel about top mount wings vs bottom mount.

Alot of the latest GT cars are going to the swan mount style wing attachments. Wondering how much benefits there is to this. dont think ive ever seen one on an evo
Old Aug 1, 2019, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Swan mounts are supposed to be aerodynamically better/more efficient.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
It depends on the car and where the wing is located. If the wing is high enough above the roof line it won't really make a difference. There's a handful of evos that use swan neck wings but the evo doesn't really struggle for rear downforce so it's not that important.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 03:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
It depends on the car and where the wing is located. If the wing is high enough above the roof line it won't really make a difference. There's a handful of evos that use swan neck wings but the evo doesn't really struggle for rear downforce so it's not that important.
Yeah, the EvO is such a dirty aero car that messing around w/upright designs would yield not much IMHO

Better to work on the rear upright structure, ensuring its frame mounted, w/no deflection issues.

Should be able to sit on the rear wing!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 05:41 PM
EvoM Guru

yea mines already all chassis mounted and everything. looking at building a new single element wing currently. just interested in wether its worth going swan mount or not
Old Aug 1, 2019, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-raddd
yea mines already all chassis mounted and everything. looking at building a new single element wing currently. just interested in wether its worth going swan mount or not
Curious as to why you're ditching the dual for a single, reasoning?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Kyle engineers did a good explanation on swan neck mounts:
. He simplified this for most non aero practicing folks like myself but it seems regardless of clean or dirty air that mounting system would help. Whether it helps a large amount for it to matter for the subset of folks who run at the highest levels here that's up for debate.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 06:52 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Who's name and address..............

Anyone ever make their own?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by terror rising
Curious as to why you're ditching the dual for a single, reasoning?
Simplicity mainly, and my dual element wing is beginning to fall apart haha.

Quick Reply: Rear wing options