Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Its For Sale / Highest level EvO Track / Street Build?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 06:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Its For Sale / Highest level EvO Track / Street Build?

For those that dont follow Ken Thwaits & his EvO

2017 Optima Batteries Ultimate Street Car Challenge Winner

Quick details (there is so much more to it)
  • 2006 EvO RS9
  • Wilwood 6 pot front calipers
  • Wilwood 4 pot rear calipers
  • Bosch ABS system
  • Forgeline GS1R wheels / 315 BFG Rival S
  • JRi coilovers
  • SSB suspension arms /hubs (go Dallas)
  • Bullet billet alum block
  • Manley internals
  • 1mm ported valves on MIVEC head / Kelford cams / AMS intake mani
  • Borg Warner EFR 8374 (top mount)
  • Motec 150 ECU
  • KMP paddle-shift system
  • Drenth sequential gearbox / carbon driveshaft
  • Wavetrac center differential
  • Cusco 1.5-way in the rear
Heres the full article & nice Vid as well:
https://www.turnology.com/features/d...lancer-evo-ix/

The following users liked this post:
ctfpevoVIII (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 06:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Given all the show car aero, while this is a nice car, I'd say the pro-awesome Evo is at a higher level.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Amazing what money does. I've had my eye on the Bosch ABS unit but when an SCCA racer in a X crashed head on by locking I got nervous. After this last race with as much ABS in the dry as I had my interest is peaked again. Strange note though that he says he'll "tune" the ABS, curious. And why didn't Dallas just "send" us ones, where's our free stuff lol.

Edit, that's also a ton of speed to be driving on a road course with no Hans, no Cage, hell not even a half cage. He "looped" the hans straps so they'd "be out of his way".

Last edited by Balrok; Jun 20, 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Given all the show car aero, while this is a nice car, I'd say the pro-awesome Evo is at a higher level.
Rules of Optima, he has as much aero as he can have. I guarantee you Ken would have custom fab of whatever what at the max of whatever rule-set you give him. He's not the kind of guy to leave stuff on the table and will definitely drop your stuff in the trash if he thinks something else will A)Make him faster, or B) Give him more points in the D&E event. Optima is a tough nut to crack into the top because its not just a couple driving challenges.

Originally Posted by Balrok
Amazing what money does. I've had my eye on the Bosch ABS unit but when an SCCA racer in a X crashed head on by locking I got nervous. After this last race with as much ABS in the dry as I had my interest is peaked again. Strange note though that he says he'll "tune" the ABS, curious. And why didn't Dallas just "send" us ones, where's our free stuff lol.

Edit, that's also a ton of speed to be driving on a road course with no Hans, no Cage, hell not even a half cage. He "looped" the hans straps so they'd "be out of his way".
Oh trust me, I didnt just "send him" stuff. Ken has been one of my best customers so they get deals, but its definitely not a gimme. Ken and Tyler will pay for what they think is best. Its definitely different than some of the T/A guys who will push whoever will give them the best sponsorship. And for me its not a bias, but understanding and respect having known them now a couple years. Ken is just out doing what we all would be doing if we had the same resources.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
alpinaturbo (Jun 21, 2019), Bee-Raddd (Jun 23, 2019)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 09:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I need more details on those rear flares. I really like them.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 06:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Nice shoutout to @Dallas J in that article. Very cool to see.

The larger turbocharger, an EFR 8374, provides as much as 670 horsepower to all four wheels, while the smaller 7664 makes as much as 550. The larger 8374 reaches full boost at an accessible 3,500 rpm, which is perfectly responsive for the circumstances, but the problem is its violent delivery. “The 8374 comes on like a light switch at 3,700 rpm,” Thwaits added with a chuckle. With 30 pounds of boost available from so low in the rev range, it’s capable of roasting rubber effortlessly.
Does anyone know if Ken is running a 2.4L displacement? Spooling an 8374 that far under 4K RPM would be an impressive feat. They mention the taller deck height of the billet block and they also mention HG sealing issues, so I'm thinking he's pushing the displacement to the max.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Agreed, something simple like that would be awesome. Im guessing it started life as a generic flair and then was massaged to make it fit as nicely as it does.
Originally Posted by Construct
Does anyone know if Ken is running a 2.4L displacement? Spooling an 8374 that far under 4K RPM would be an impressive feat. They mention the taller deck height of the billet block and they also mention HG sealing issues, so I'm thinking he's pushing the displacement to the max.
It has got to be and even then that data point seems a little optomistic. Do we know what full boost is btw? Although if I think about it my new setup is a 2.2 with a 7670 and im seeing 30# by 4grand and thats without a MIVEC head so perhaps its not that crazy to think about. Also, that 7664, is that a typo or some one off turbo for him?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Agreed, something simple like that would be awesome. Im guessing it started life as a generic flair and then was massaged to make it fit as nicely as it does.

It has got to be and even then that data point seems a little optomistic. Do we know what full boost is btw? Although if I think about it my new setup is a 2.2 with a 7670 and im seeing 30# by 4grand and thats without a MIVEC head so perhaps its not that crazy to think about. Also, that 7664, is that a typo or some one off turbo for him?

Im almost positive those flares are Voltex double over fender flares. Few have molded them to the factory body and they look very good. I wish someone made subtle bolt on front and rear flares like that for us Ct9a owners
Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Kada__85
Im almost positive those flares are Voltex double over fender flares. Few have molded them to the factory body and they look very good. I wish someone made subtle bolt on front and rear flares like that for us Ct9a owners
Heres a better shot of the rear flare fitup

Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Rules of Optima, he has as much aero as he can have. I guarantee you Ken would have custom fab of whatever what at the max of whatever rule-set you give him. He's not the kind of guy to leave stuff on the table and will definitely drop your stuff in the trash if he thinks something else will A)Make him faster, or B) Give him more points in the D&E event. Optima is a tough nut to crack into the top because its not just a couple driving challenges.
I didn't mean at all that this isn't a well prepped, thought out and put together car. It's built to max out a certain class for sure.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe

I think I remember a Ken Thwaits video where they mention a custom hybrid turbo. Did they combine a 7670 and a 7064?

On your 7670 / 2.2 are you seeing 30psi by 4K on the street in 3rd gear?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 01:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think I remember a Ken Thwaits video where they mention a custom hybrid turbo. Did they combine a 7670 and a 7064?

Took this pic myself some months ago at Fontana. Not sure if that turbo pics gives ya a clue or not?

Old Jun 21, 2019, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts

Certainly sounds like they did. And I don't recall exactly but it was right around there and yes, in 3rd gear. I'll be doing some tuning this weekend so I'll report back with better numbers.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin

This is the cheap ebay set. Actually fit a little better than expected, but if you're picky its not as good.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoojan

This is the cheap ebay set. Actually fit a little better than expected, but if you're picky its not as good.
I dig it man! I'd totally rock em. You got a link?

Quick Reply: Its For Sale / Highest level EvO Track / Street Build?