Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tested my Buschur Race FMIC at Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 08:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Tested my Buschur Race FMIC at Summit Point

What sort of AITs are you all seeing relative to ambient and with what FMIC? I have had the super heavy Buschur “Race FMIC” with the 3.8” Garrett core on my car for a long time, but have been thinking of downsizing to save weight since I’m running only 21-23 psi boost on a BBK Full turbo. On the street, datalogged AITs are generally within a few degrees of ambient in single gear pulls. But, this past weekend I datalogged AITs for the first time on track at Summit Point Main and saw AITs reaching 20-30 degrees above ambient in 90 degree weather. This struck me as a greater AIT rise than I was expecting, especially since my intake puts the filter down low and away from engine bay heat. So, now I’m thinking of keeping the big FMIC, at least as long as I’m not on E85. Thoughts?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
my personal opinion, based on some experience, is that bar and plate cores have no place on track cars (track being something longer than 1/4 mile and with corners)...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 02:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
my personal opinion, based on some experience, is that bar and plate cores have no place on track cars (track being something longer than 1/4 mile and with corners)...
Can you elaborate? Do they keep AITs lower?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Bar and plate have high thermal capacity than tube and fin but also are slower typically to dissipate. Some original Japanese made intercoolers were tube and fin.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Bar and plate have high thermal capacity than tube and fin but also are slower typically to dissipate. Some original Japanese made intercoolers were tube and fin.
The AITs dropped quick for me after long WOT blasts based on my datalogs. My main concern is whether a tube/fin would have a greater AIT rise.

Has anyone else datalogged AIT on track?

If I had E85, I wouldn’t care, but I’m still running E10.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 08:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Bar and plate will cool better but is also more prone to heat soak. Garrett cores are well made so I'd just stick with what you've got unless you're trying to lose weight.

FWIW 20F over ambient is not bad at all especially on a hot and humid day. I used to have street cars that wouldn't get that close to ambient.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 02:02 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
My builder decided on his own that he was going to take out my bar & plate intercooler and is building a new intercooler using a tube & fin core. He claims that tube & fin is better for road racing due to it's ability to dissipate heat faster and the weight savings when comparing similar size cores. He said on a dyno that my bar & plate would produce higher #'s but on a road course with constant high speed flow the tube & fins would reduce IAT's by at least a small amount.

I'm willing to be that I don't notice any difference but if he wants to do it so be it :P
Old Jul 4, 2019, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The two go-to's are the Blitz and the Plamaman?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
The two go-to's are the Blitz and the Plamaman?
I used to have a PWR, which was tube and fin. Maybe I should have kept it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 04:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I have a Blitz. Everyone warned me against it because it was "too small" and "it's tube and fin". My car has maxed out a Walbro fuel pump without a single issue while daily driving, autox, and road courses, all in the heat. The thing also weighs next to nothing. It's a work of art. Before that, I had an AMS FMIC that I had a feeling was overkill. Looks like I guessed right.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
See this post of mine comparing my Greddy tube and fin FMIC vs my AGP bar and plate FMIC on track.

The Greddy weighs a good amount less and I am super happy with the performance of it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...l#post11818999
Old Jul 5, 2019, 04:45 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab
See this post of mine comparing my Greddy tube and fin FMIC vs my AGP bar and plate FMIC on track.

The Greddy weighs a good amount less and I am super happy with the performance of it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...l#post11818999
That's a nice looking FMIC. here's mine. I almost hated to put it on. Wanted to hang it up

The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jul 8, 2019)
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I have a Blitz. Everyone warned me against it because it was "too small" and "it's tube and fin". My car has maxed out a Walbro fuel pump without a single issue while daily driving, autox, and road courses, all in the heat. The thing also weighs next to nothing. It's a work of art. Before that, I had an AMS FMIC that I had a feeling was overkill. Looks like I guessed right.
Are you measuring IAT's or just assuming?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:25 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Are you measuring IAT's or just assuming?
Assuming which part? That I maxed out the wally? The AMS was overkill?. No knock or power dips = good enough to me. No IAT measured.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 6, 2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Assuming which part? That I maxed out the wally? The AMS was overkill?. No knock or power dips = good enough to me. No IAT measured.
Real science right der... derp
The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
Abacus (Jul 11, 2019), codgi (Jul 19, 2019)