EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   DMS VS Moton VS JRZ VS Penske VS Koni (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/124212-dms-vs-moton-vs-jrz-vs-penske-vs-koni.html)

bracer Feb 21, 2005 10:58 PM

DMS VS Moton VS JRZ VS Penske VS Koni

I'm looking to upgrade from JIC to a full race coilover kit. Car is used for roadracing and spring rates are roughly in the 650-700lb range. JRZ and Penske would need to be custom solutions from what I understand since the kit does not exist. I've ruled out the Penske's as Guy Ankeny did not recommend them for the EVO and he is Mr. Penske.

Koni 28xx, Moton, and DMS all exist. Pricing seems relatively the same. (all are Expensive). The DMS are the easiest to get, but they were originally designed for rally racing and I do not have a lot of feel for their performance.

DMS $4800 for the 50mm

Moton $4250 for the Clubsports

Koni $4800 28xx

Anyone have opinions on these for the EVO? Am I leaving anything out worth looking out. I'm done with the whole Japanese coilover thing so please do not suggest Zeal/Tein/JiC/etc...

Bill

chrisw Feb 22, 2005 07:33 AM

I would highly recommend either DMS or ohlins.

I have ohlins road and track (these are made in japan, but use ohlin inserts). I have used the DMS in the past on a WRX and those coilovers are awesome. It's too bad the dollar is so weak, that's the only reason the DMS kit is so expensive. However, everything on the DMS coilovers can be fixed, replaced, and otherwise over built to handle the rigors of rally racing.

When I am ready to upgrade from my ohlins, DMS is first on the list.

Mhyrr Feb 22, 2005 07:57 AM

Where did you find a Moton Club Sport solution for the Evo? My understanding was that there was not an Evo solution yet..

I don't think you could go wrong with any, except maybe DMS, simply because it was originally a Rally solution like Chris said..

I'm a fan of Motons :)

whitet777 Feb 22, 2005 08:00 AM

Eric (93esp) is selling his Koni 28's if you do a search. I believe they are still for sale.

Silencer Feb 22, 2005 08:01 AM

I have Moton's arriving in 2 weeks. {thumbup}

bracer Feb 22, 2005 09:57 AM

I'm talking to Eric.

The Moton are available from any moton dealer. Racecomp is advertising them for $3400, add to that springs, camber plates, etc...

Koni 28's are $4200 + springs, etc...

dwx Feb 22, 2005 11:30 AM

Another somewhat lower cost solution are Advance Design coilovers from Ground Control. I used these on my SM WRX last year and they were great. The whole setup costs around $3k with the plates and springs. Double-adjustable. You may have to send them some struts so they can fabricate the bodies though. I was done with the whole JDM coilover thing as well.
www.advance-design.com is the website.

I used the DMS 50mm in the past and I'd recommend them on a race car but not a street car. Due to the size of them it makes it difficult to fit some tires as well, depending what you are doing. Their customer service is also horrible. In NA you can deal with Lachute Subaru, who are very good, but the DMS guys in Aus suck.

The one STI that ran T1 nationally last year used a set of Moton struts, and the EVO isn't much different from a strut standpoint, so I'm sure it can be done.

Silencer Feb 22, 2005 11:35 AM

Wasn't that the STI who was protested for having adj. lower spring perches, even though they were set at factory height?

Silencer Feb 22, 2005 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bracer
I'm talking to Eric.

The Moton are available from any moton dealer. Racecomp is advertising them for $3400, add to that springs, camber plates, etc...

Koni 28's are $4200 + springs, etc...

Just remember the Moton Sports are for $3400 plus springs/camber plates. The upper end Moton's (double and triple) range from 5 to $7000 for a set w/o springs/plates depending on application.

You might want to see what Bilstein offers for coilovers.

whitet777 Feb 22, 2005 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by dwx
Another somewhat lower cost solution are Advance Design coilovers from Ground Control. I used these on my SM WRX last year and they were great. The whole setup costs around $3k with the plates and springs. Double-adjustable. You may have to send them some struts so they can fabricate the bodies though. I was done with the whole JDM coilover thing as well.
www.advance-design.com is the website.

I used the DMS 50mm in the past and I'd recommend them on a race car but not a street car. Due to the size of them it makes it difficult to fit some tires as well, depending what you are doing. Their customer service is also horrible. In NA you can deal with Lachute Subaru, who are very good, but the DMS guys in Aus suck.

The one STI that ran T1 nationally last year used a set of Moton struts, and the EVO isn't much different from a strut standpoint, so I'm sure it can be done.

Phil,

Get bored in NASIOC? :lol:

Actually, I called Ground Control yesterday and spoke with Mark the manager. He says that the Evo kit that was rumored to be available shortly has been put on at least a 3 month hold. He says they got ahold of a new Mustang and are playing with that now instead. Plus, the prototype was given back to its original owner because he needed the parts back, so the development work is partially lost now too.

Tim

bracer Feb 22, 2005 07:41 PM

ground control

I had called them as well. I had the Advanced Design on a BMW. They basically told me it was a no go for some time. Maybe in the future, but no current plans.

I havn't been able to find anything on the Bilsteins for the EVO.

San Rafael Mitsubishi (Great Guys) is now tuning and carrying DMS. They are also a trained service center. Makes it hard not to go that way.

ImportUpgrade Feb 26, 2005 10:33 PM

RRE also is a Distributor for DMS. DMS makes 50mm for tarmac, and road race applications. I am getting the DMS 40mm because I drive it all the time :) you cannot go wrong with 50mm dms dual adjustable coilovers

whitet777 Feb 27, 2005 08:52 AM

Do you have a rough idea of price for the DMS 50mm?

Originally Posted by ImportUpgrade
RRE also is a Distributor for DMS. DMS makes 50mm for tarmac, and road race applications. I am getting the DMS 40mm because I drive it all the time :) you cannot go wrong with 50mm dms dual adjustable coilovers

leif Feb 27, 2005 01:39 PM

bracer, update us when you get something, you sound like you're from the bay area so maybe i could get a ride when you do ;) i am in dire need of new suspension as the ricer in me bought jics originally and those are worthless on the track and the street.

-130 R- Feb 27, 2005 01:42 PM

PM "robi" and ask what his impressions have been. He's the guy who won the Evo Tuner Shootout, so he knows what he's talking about. I know he had the DMS on his car for a while (along with about 4 other types at various times).

Chris