EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   Race Car trailer (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/280167-race-car-trailer.html)

swordfish Jun 28, 2007 07:43 PM

Race Car trailer

Looking for a new trailer to transport the Evo on. I've got my eye on a feather lite but cant seem to pull the trigger. I keep seeing race rubber $$ flash before my eyes. I was just wonder what some of you are hauling with, where you got them and how they pull. I dont need an enclosed trailer, just a nice open trailer that pulls well. My tow pig is an 07 V8 Toyota 4 runner. Thanks for the input.

jeff

992gnt Jun 30, 2007 10:29 AM

I searched around and found a deal on a used trailer. I would love to have an aluminum trailer, but my budget is pretty tight. I ended up with a steel trailer with a big box on the front (ALL the gear fits in it), dual tire racks, electric winch and jack, new tires, and new 5200 lb axles for $1200.

djh Jun 30, 2007 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 992gnt (Post 4492302)
I ended up with a steel trailer with a big box on the front (ALL the gear fits in it), dual tire racks, electric winch and jack, new tires, and new 5200 lb axles for $1200.

What does it weigh? I've been looking for a mid-size truck, so the total package needs to come in around 5500 lbs.

Dave

992gnt Jun 30, 2007 04:25 PM

You've seen it, it's heavy! I figure I'm pulling between 5500 and 6000 lbs. total. I really need a bigger truck...

0100 Jun 30, 2007 05:15 PM

Yeah trust me get a bigger truck before you even think about getting a car trailer. I am not saying this to sound cool. The most dangerous part of racing is towing. Ask anyone. I have towed all over the country racing and it's so much easier when you have a safe rig. It is crazy out there.

I have a 24' PACE enclosed trailer that is awesome but needs a 1 ton.

I have an E350 powerstroke turbo diesel that pulls it like a rapped ape.

I would say minimum get:

1 ton truck or van. With the edge to the van because you can sleep in it. :)
24' enclosed with electric brakes
Weight Distributing Hitch

WarmPepsi Jun 30, 2007 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 0100 (Post 4493181)
Yeah trust me get a bigger truck before you even think about getting a car trailer. I am not saying this to sound cool. The most dangerous part of racing is towing. Ask anyone. I have towed all over the country racing and it's so much easier when you have a safe rig. It is crazy out there.

I have a 24' PACE enclosed trailer that is awesome but needs a 1 ton.

I have an E350 powerstroke turbo diesel that pulls it like a rapped ape.

I would say minimum get:

1 ton truck or van. With the edge to the van because you can sleep in it. :)
24' enclosed with electric brakes
Weight Distributing Hitch

most enclosed will be fine with a 3/4. at least in the GMC world ;)

I have a custom aluminium gooseneck trailer (ball in the bed), that i pull behind my 1/2 ton. No issues at all, it's gone to indiana and back, mid-o, etc. :D

djh Jun 30, 2007 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 0100 (Post 4493181)
I have towed all over the country racing and it's so much easier when you have a safe rig. It is crazy out there.

I'm not sure what you mean by it being crazy out there. In the past I've towed tractors and such through Appalachia with an F150 and E150. When I finally get the time to w2w I'll be running an MR2 -- a feather. For now I run the Evo only for hpde, I'd tow it only if I'm going outside the 'hood. I'm not looking to pull anything enclosed, and even Greg's trailer is more than I'm looking for. Power-wise a Nissan Frontier should handle 5500lbs, but, yeah, it doesn't have the wheelbase of a full size.

Dave

0100 Jul 1, 2007 12:48 AM

I mean the people out on the roads drive like maniacs. You just better be able to stop or accelerate when you need to.

If it was me doing HPDE's. I would just buy or build a very small trailer to hold the tires and put a hitch on the evo.

swordfish Jul 1, 2007 11:03 AM

I wont be towing an enclosed trailer for sure. Just an open trailer.

jeff

WarmPepsi Jul 1, 2007 12:14 PM

i said the same thing, only open, now i'm almost wishing for enclosed.

Can't park the thing anywhere without worrying about the setup, car and all sitting out.

A closed trailer offers a little more "i dunno whats inside".

Balrok Jul 1, 2007 01:49 PM

So i guess the next question would be, what size enclosed trailer would be minimum towing an Evo with all the trimmings, then how much lager from that would you need to include tires, tools, and parts?

0100 Jul 1, 2007 04:18 PM

24' is minimum, trust me. I use mine mostly for a formula car 1100 lbs and wouldn't go any smaller than 24' enclosed, with an evo I have even less room(alot less). Once you start packing it with tires, spares, tools, air, blah, blah you quickly run out of room. Enclosed is so much better than an open, but it does have some negatives like less mpg towing. Just my opinion, ask around at the track.

I really don't even see the need for a trailer if you can drive your car on the street and don't plan on doing w2w racing. I will be doing hdpe and TT and plan on doing this to my evo. http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/trailer&page=all

That's the whole beauty of hdpe and TT's you don't need a trailer and truck. :thumbup:

Evo8 Jul 1, 2007 04:52 PM

I've got 01 F-350 so I don't worry about the truck. But an open trailer is what I need. What Greg has got is an overkill for me (I would love to have one for the price he paid), but where is a good spot to get a trailer just for an evo? Tires can go in my truck's bed

992gnt Jul 1, 2007 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 0100 (Post 4495274)
That's the whole beauty of hdpe and TT's you don't need a trailer and truck. :thumbup:

Until you split an IC coupler at the track, or your clutch goes, or whatever. I drove to and from the track until this year; didn't want to take the risk anymore.

WarmPepsi Jul 1, 2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 992gnt (Post 4495515)
Until you split an IC coupler at the track, or your clutch goes, or whatever. I drove to and from the track until this year; didn't want to take the risk anymore.

amen. i can't count the number of early events i did that i popped an IC pipe (even with t-bolt clamps). was nice to just park it, strap it down, diagnose it when you got home.

that or the few of us that like safety, and have full cages and run hpde's and TT's. Big nono on the street.