EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   First time tracking ? About race gas and 91 tune (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/559908-first-time-tracking-about-race-gas-91-tune.html)

JJay Jun 9, 2011 02:15 PM

First time tracking ? About race gas and 91 tune

I'm about to do a driving school followed by my first track day and wanted to know if I should mix a few gallons of 103 octane with my crappy Cali 91? I've read a few threads on other forums where peeps have said it's a good idea to mix to help protect the engine. I was tuned by a very reputable shop who have allot of experience in the track community so I trust their tune but I'm more worried about getting some bad fuel before the event. I'm I being paranoid or should through in 3or 4 gallons before the event?

Bueller Jun 9, 2011 03:19 PM

I responded in your previous thread where you were asking about wheels and aero. Since you live in Socal i asked what driving school and track day youve signed up for but you never responded.

JJay Jun 9, 2011 03:22 PM

I'm sorry I must have missed it. I'm doing the BMW cca la chapter driving school at the autospeedway in LA. That's tomorrow, Friday and then on Saturday I'm heading to big willow.

Jim in Tucson Jun 9, 2011 03:47 PM

Adding 4 gal of 103 oct with your 10 gal of ACN91 should give you a tank of about 94 oct. That would be very wise and cost effective insurance.

:mitsu:

chono Jun 9, 2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson (Post 9381272)
Adding 4 gal of 103 oct with your 10 gal of ACN91 should give you a tank of about 94 oct. That would be very wise and cost effective insurance.

:mitsu:

Really?
(4*103 + 10*91)/14 = 94.4

Its that simple? I seriously had no idea. Thanks! Now I too can have the fuel that the rest of the country has!

And JJay - many tracks have fueling on site. Unless you get a bargain locally - there's no sense in driving to the track with the expensive stuff in the tank.

-'chono'

JJay Jun 9, 2011 04:01 PM

Cool. Thanks for the knowledge. Definitely trying to save money for tires and brakes and replacing my engine right off the get go would be a bummer so I'm trying to do what I can to protect the car. I know you got to pay to play but if something major happened right from the start, I think it would leave me very ill hearted.

Bueller Jun 9, 2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JJay (Post 9381225)
I'm sorry I must have missed it. I'm doing the BMW cca la chapter driving school at the autospeedway in LA. That's tomorrow, Friday and then on Saturday I'm heading to big willow.

Big Willow has 91, 100, and 110 at the pumps. Who tuned your car?

JJay Jun 9, 2011 08:14 PM

RRE I trust there tune but I just want some added insurance against knock or anything else. I have to say that I'm really excited but so stressed at the same time. This will be my first time on a track and after my loss of confidence auto-x'ing I just hope things will go smooth.

delongedoug Jun 9, 2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JJay (Post 9381720)
RRE I trust there tune but I just want some added insurance against knock or anything else. I have to say that I'm really excited but so stressed at the same time. This will be my first time on a track and after my loss of confidence auto-x'ing I just hope things will go smooth.

.....:confused:

boomn29 Jun 10, 2011 06:16 AM

You could toss in 2 gals per tank for peice of mind...

Back when I ran straight 93 octane, I took a trip to HPT where it's the land of 91. I missed about 1/3 100 and 2/3 91 there to make sure I was above the 93 barrier. Just lead towards the more 100 side.

And wheather it's 100 or 104 or whatever; just stick with UNLEADED!

justboosted02 Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

i always throw 5 gallons of 100 oct in my car at track days, cheap insurance

grillpt Jun 10, 2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by boomn29 (Post 9382256)
You could toss in 2 gals per tank for peice of mind...

Back when I ran straight 93 octane, I took a trip to HPT where it's the land of 91. I missed about 1/3 100 and 2/3 91 there to make sure I was above the 93 barrier. Just lead towards the more 100 side.

And wheather it's 100 or 104 or whatever; just stick with UNLEADED!

Just curious as to why you say that?

boomn29 Jun 10, 2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by grillpt (Post 9382908)
Just curious as to why you say that?

Because the OP is NOT tuned for leaded race gas... I'm pretty sure. It'll foul off your cat.

grillpt Jun 10, 2011 11:29 AM

No difference from adding 100 or 104, still not tuned for race gas(or even higher octane for that matter)... The catalyst getting clogged is a real threat, its also hard on the o2 sensors.

Bueller Jun 10, 2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JJay (Post 9381720)

Then im guessing you havent noticed my website, let alone any of my threads. :) RRE tunes my racecar. Youll be fine out there. Dont push yourself to go fast. Just focus on what theyre teaching you. Drink a lot of water all day and stay out of the sun. If youre tuned on 91, its definitely better to run a higher octane when youre doing any sort of HPDE. Stick with 100 for now.