EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   OFFICIAL: Autocross Videos (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/698306-official-autocross-videos.html)

AMTrombley0924 Jul 16, 2014 05:10 PM

OFFICIAL: Autocross Videos

My first Autocross experience! Had a blast, and will definitely be back for more. Stay tuned!

Feedback is always welcome. I'm eager to learn!

Date of AutoX: 29 June 2014
Club: Miami Valley Sports Car Club (MVSCC)
Driver: N7_EvoX
Car:Project Zeke
Run #: All Runs listed in Video

ratt_finkel Jul 17, 2014 06:44 AM

I watched run 5. Hard to see what you're doing on the right side. But it looked like an excellent run for your first time.

ViciousLSD Jul 18, 2014 09:30 AM

Welcome to the sport.

"Smooth is slow". not the best advice, but its something folks figure out by themselves eventually :)

cfdfireman1 Jul 18, 2014 12:09 PM

How can you drive with all that **** in your face and hanging off the mirror? Move your seat about 6" closer to the wheel.

AMTrombley0924 Jul 18, 2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel (Post 11258965)
I watched run 5. Hard to see what you're doing on the right side. But it looked like an excellent run for your first time.

Thanks man! I was watching it too, and I'm very happy with my last two runs. I plan to try a couple of other GoPro POVs. I have two. Maybe one behind the the right front wheel and the other stickied to the right side of my seat, on the plastic part. I don't have a harness bar, otherwise I'd put one there.

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD (Post 11259999)
Welcome to the sport.

"Smooth is slow". not the best advice, but its something folks figure out by themselves eventually :)

My next event will be in closer proximity to walls, so I will DEFINITELY learn that quickly, lol!

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1 (Post 11260191)
How can you drive with all that **** in your face and hanging off the mirror? Move your seat about 6" closer to the wheel.

I did lose the phone dock, but I don't mind the cross. I position the seat close enough that I can bottom out the clutch pedal, but I like having my arms as much extended as possible.

Thanks all for the feedback! I welcome more if ya'll got it!

golgo13 Jul 18, 2014 02:56 PM

I don't know autocross, so take the advice that works for you in that genre of motorsports:

Remove anything that can possibly come loose and become a missile in the car. Garage door openers from visors, things hanging from the mirror (:lol:), carpets, things in the glove box, etc.
Only put your hand on the shifter when you intend to shift.
Always keep a hand on the wheel. Did I see you release the wheel at one point with both hands and let it right itself? Maybe not.
You really need to get closer to the wheel. It looks like you're driving with your shoulders and not with your arms. See: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_seating

Looks like a great start though!

Dallas J Jul 18, 2014 03:04 PM

You want your arms at about a 90* when holding a neutral position otherwise you have very little control over the wheel when turning large angles and will end up pulling yourself forward. Also, on your first run you grab the inside of the wheel. NEVER DO THAT! Its a habit you absolutely don't want to make.

Look at my hands in this video (excuse the vertical video, was just trying to see if it got a better view of what I wanted but realized it just wastes a screen full of space). I can get thru almost anything with my hands at 9 and 3. Very infrequently will I need to reach one hand over and pull the wheel further but even then I always have one hand in the neutral position so I can always find home.

AMTrombley0924 Jul 18, 2014 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 11260333)
I don't know autocross, so take the advice that works for you in that genre of motorsports:

Remove anything that can possibly come loose and become a missile in the car. Garage door openers from visors, things hanging from the mirror (:lol:), carpets, things in the glove box, etc.
Only put your hand on the shifter when you intend to shift.
Always keep a hand on the wheel. Did I see you release the wheel at one point with both hands and let it right itself? Maybe not.
You really need to get closer to the wheel. It looks like you're driving with your shoulders and not with your arms. See: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_seating

Looks like a great start though!

Thanks for the link, man! I'll read it and try it out!

ratt_finkel Jul 18, 2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 (Post 11260315)
Thanks man! I was watching it too, and I'm very happy with my last two runs. I plan to try a couple of other GoPro POVs. I have two. Maybe one behind the the right front wheel and the other stickied to the right side of my seat, on the plastic part. I don't have a harness bar, otherwise I'd put one there.

I and many others have found that the best camera spot tends to be right on the roof, in the middle, as close to the windshield as possible. This gives you an equal view of both sides of the car. As well as a decent portion of the hood (and sometimes winshield with a wideangle lens). This allows you to see the front of the car and see the course and whats ahead in the course. So you can analyze the line, car placement, and how far you are looking ahead.

It's definitely fun to have the cam in odd places. But not as helpful for learning. There is a thread actually on this subject if you search.

Seat time is key for new people. Get to as many events as you can.

AMTrombley0924 Jul 18, 2014 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel (Post 11260378)
I and many others have found that the best camera spot tends to be right on the roof, in the middle, as close to the windshield as possible. This gives you an equal view of both sides of the car. As well as a decent portion of the hood (and sometimes winshield with a wideangle lens). This allows you to see the front of the car and see the course and whats ahead in the course. So you can analyze the line, car placement, and how far you are looking ahead.

It's definitely fun to have the cam in odd places. But not as helpful for learning. There is a thread actually on this subject if you search.

Seat time is key for new people. Get to as many events as you can.

This is the ideal cam position I'd like. I'm pretty sure he had a harness bar that he attached it to, so I may consider getting one. Not just for the camera, but for harnesses too. However, I do use my back seats frequently so I'd need something that comes out with some ease, or is "back passenger friendly." Dual purpose racecar problems...lol

golgo13 Jul 18, 2014 04:42 PM

I have a harness bar I use for my I/O port, but I run 3 point belts on track. Rollbar, harnesses and HANS are in the cards this winter.

I like to see the driving line and my steering input so this view is ideal for me:

AMTrombley0924 Jul 18, 2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 11260389)
I have a harness bar I use for my I/O port, but I run 3 point belts on track. Rollbar, harnesses and HANS are in the cars this winter.

I like to see the driving line and my steering input so this view is ideal for me:

Evo IX Laguna Seca NCRC 5.25.13 Session 2 Lap 10 1:53.03 - YouTube

Is that video from your harness bar? I agree. I'd like to see my input as well. Partially why I like that WRX video so much

AMTrombley0924 Jul 18, 2014 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 11260338)
You want your arms at about a 90* when holding a neutral position otherwise you have very little control over the wheel when turning large angles and will end up pulling yourself forward. Also, on your first run you grab the inside of the wheel. NEVER DO THAT! Its a habit you absolutely don't want to make.

Look at my hands in this video (excuse the vertical video, was just trying to see if it got a better view of what I wanted but realized it just wastes a screen full of space). I can get thru almost anything with my hands at 9 and 3. Very infrequently will I need to reach one hand over and pull the wheel further but even then I always have one hand in the neutral position so I can always find home.

http://youtu.be/yfZmhZN8SKw?list=UU9...PD1Stpr1d4akPg

I'm not understanding what you mean by grabbing the inside of the wheel...do you mean the part where the horn and airbag are? If you can point out the timestamp where I do it, it'd help me understand what you mean

golgo13 Jul 18, 2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 (Post 11260460)
Is that video from your harness bar? I agree. I'd like to see my input as well. Partially why I like that WRX video so much

It is.

See how I forgot to take out my garage door opener?

:lol:
:crap:

driven168 Jul 23, 2014 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 (Post 11260464)
I'm not understanding what you mean by grabbing the inside of the wheel...do you mean the part where the horn and airbag are? If you can point out the timestamp where I do it, it'd help me understand what you mean

I might be wrong, but I would think :25-:32 sec mark of the OP video.