EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   Ohlin Bearing Replacement, Possible New Source? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/745738-ohlin-bearing-replacement-possible-new-source.html)

Dallas J Dec 29, 2017 10:21 AM

Ohlin Bearing Replacement, Possible New Source?

Hey guys, I have a bad Ohlin spherical bearing and been looking for an alternative source other than $80 each from PSI and so far have only found one possible alternative on Alibaba.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...147e2041XadHfk

None of the standard bearing companies makes an 18mm ID bore matched with a 33mm OD. 42mm seems to be a standard for this size which is obviously useless for us, doh!

If we had enough people interested we could do like a set of 4 for $100 or something like that and I would just eat the rest to get another option. Would have to eventually get paid back for these of course but not looking to turn a profit.

Anyone see any other places? I've also thought about just making a new bearing housing for myself but the 18mm ID to keep same spacer nut makes the 42mm OD necessary and that becomes a different problem.

heel2toe Dec 29, 2017 01:36 PM

Huh, that is the same exact part # as the NMB bearing that can be sourced locally. I wonder if they are the exact same however I thought NMB was a US company and were built here as well?

Im currently using CDR plates which has a slightly different carrier bearing. However, Im temped to pick up a set of your plates as I have essentially brand new Ohlins top hats that I could use in conjunction with them.

What I would love to find out is how the quality of the parts differ as a cheap spherical seems like itll be useless in short order.

FWIW if it helps in your searching since I spent a while looking into this in the past what you're after is the following:

Inner 18mm
Outer 33mm
Ball 20mm
Race 16mm

honda-guy Jan 2, 2018 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okthreadjack. i have a brand new set of ohlins camber plates with bearings for sale.

$150

white_turbo Jan 4, 2018 12:12 PM

Have you tried calling Ohlins USA?

I have a set I bought a couple of years ago that I ended up not using. I will post up if I can find them.

Nimpoc Jan 4, 2018 10:40 PM

I've got a single bearing that I'd be happy to sell. Purchased it to replace a blown up bearing, then realized the whole camber plate was taco'd and the bearing wouldn't fit. Ended up being cheaper to get new Ciro's than replace the Ohlins parts.

PN 05536-51, 16mm x 30mm x 19mm. Make sure of the size you have / need.
List price $229.03 - make me an offer!

Dallas J Jan 5, 2018 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nimpoc (Post 11796091)
I've got a single bearing that I'd be happy to sell. Purchased it to replace a blown up bearing, then realized the whole camber plate was taco'd and the bearing wouldn't fit. Ended up being cheaper to get new Ciro's than replace the Ohlins parts.

PN 05536-51, 16mm x 30mm x 19mm. Make sure of the size you have / need.
List price $229.03 - make me an offer!

You got a single bearing for $230? There's some serious markup on that thing then. These guys, even the fancy high end ones, are under $10 when bought in bulk from china. Thats also different than the bearings in my plates.

I do know there are two version of the bearing mounts, theres a 10-bolthole and a 8-bolthole bearing housing. The 10 bolt seems to be on older DFV and probably R/T and also on my Flags. I dont know when, but at some point they removed 2 holes.

Im wondering if the bearing size changed too? My bearings (Old DFV and Flags) are 18mm ID and 32mm OD.

Cyp May 23, 2018 07:29 PM

Are the extra Ohlins camber plate bearing set still for sale?

Nimpoc May 25, 2018 09:29 AM

I've still got the single bearing available.
Seriously, make an offer. I'll never use it.

piper971 Dec 11, 2018 09:33 AM

Guys, I just called PSI to arrange for them to service for my Flags, and they told me they don't service them anymore. Any suggestions on who can service and re-valve them, apart from Ohlins USA?

Dallas J Dec 11, 2018 10:02 AM

Have you checked with FRSport? I think thats where Guy Ankeny works and I think he use to be able to do it.

piper971 Dec 11, 2018 11:35 AM

I reached out to FRSports, they said they aren’t offering any “mechanical” services at this time.

I found Guy’s company on Facebook and sent him a message, will update on the outcome.

Thanks,

Dallas J Dec 11, 2018 01:06 PM

Oh dang, well I have no other thoughts but update us if you find a place.

Edit: Have you seen the replacement pin for the Flags I have? Have you checked if your pins are in tact? I havent heard of anyone not breaking them, but I did get some nice scuffed up canister pics from a guy today in EU with a set and broken pins.

piper971 Dec 11, 2018 02:30 PM

I saw your pins. Wish they were around 4 years ago, before i damaged my canisters 🤦🏻*♂️ Had to wait almost 6 months for them to get parts to rebuild. Rigged up a pin from a parts bin, been working so far, but of course yours looks much better 😁

Dallas J Dec 11, 2018 02:41 PM

Ok cool. I need to put more effort into getting the knowledge of the breaking pin and damage that can happen. I was pretty annoyed when I got my first set and found the out about the pin issue but now that's fixed they're amazing shocks.

These are from a guy Im talking with en EU for various parts.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...5f5fc342d3.jpg

piper971 Dec 11, 2018 03:18 PM

I just looked at my invoice from PSI and they replaced the reservoir tube and internal membrane. I belive they had to wait to get those and some other parts from Japan. This was 4 years ago, they might still have some of the parts. It was actually 9 months turnaround on the rebuild.