EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   King Tut's NASA TT4 / Gridlife Street Mod Evo 9 RS (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/747772-king-tuts-nasa-tt4-gridlife-street-mod-evo-9-rs.html)

King Tut Apr 4, 2018 06:29 AM

King Tut's NASA TT4 / Gridlife Street Mod Evo 9 RS

I purchased @honda-guy Thai Diep's 2006 Evo RS out of the NASA Northeast region in December. It holds multiple NASA TT3 and TT4 track records. I plan to run it in NASA TT4 and Gridlife Street Modified this season. Here is my NASA TT4 Classification Form:

284 average Dynojet whp
3301 lb competition weight
+.1 weight
+.6 245/266mm DOT tires
+.2 4 Door Sedan
-.5 AWD TT4
12.04:1 weight : power ratio (TT4)

My first step was to get the car dynoed on a Dynojet as I didn't want to take the 10% multiplier if you dyno on a Dyno Dynamics or a Mustang Dyno. I went to Pelligrini Performance Group 4 hours away in Louisiana to dyno the car. It took some adjustment to the wastegate duty cycle table to get the numbers I wanted, but I was happy to hit my goal:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...c9be756ee4.jpg

NASA TT4 Tune Dyno

The current plan is to possibly upgrade the turbo or simply switch to an E85 tune to run the unlimited Gridlife Street Modified class events.

King Tut Apr 4, 2018 06:31 AM

So first NASA weekend out in January 2018 I got an easy win and 2 Hoosiers on Saturday and then we had two drying sessions late in the day on Sunday to try and set fast laps. Unfortunately, due to the huge amount of rain Saturday afternoon they had to cancel some sessions and they combined things on Sunday meaning HPDE1/2 went out right after TT so I only got to run 4 laps each drying session before pitting so my student didn't miss any track time. My main competitor got to run the full session each session, and I think he threw sticker R7s on for the last session and nipped me by 2 tenths to take the Hoosiers. I blew the final turn coming to start what ended up being my fastest lap or I would have gotten the win. Racer excuses over, it was a great first weekend, and I love driving the Evo. I don't plan to let an M3 beat me the rest of the year. Looking forward to a great NASA season. Here is my best lap in the wet on Saturday:

Here is my best lap in the dry on Sunday:

King Tut Apr 4, 2018 06:35 AM

My second NASA TT4 weekend in March 2018 went well. I battled with my buddy Dysen Pham in his formerly TTB now TT4 S2000. He ran 245/40/17 Hoosier A7s on a 17x10 (illegal as of May 31, 2018) and took the -1.0 hit for running Hoosier A7s as he isn't at the ratio like I am at 11.6:1. We were around 700 lbs difference in weight with me weighing in at 3334 lbs on a 3301 lb classing form. We were separated on both days by 2 tenths of a second. He got the win on Saturday, and I got the win on Sunday so we both took home 3 Hoosiers as we had 7 in class both days. I was running the 245/35/18 Hoosier R7 on my 18x9.5 Enkei NT03+Ms. This setup will also be illegal for my class form on May 31, 2018. Hence I have been ordering 245/40/18 Hoosier R7s which should fit the NASA template and allow me to continue taking the .6 modifier for 266mm tires. Here is my best 1:52.8 lap of the weekend:

codgi Apr 4, 2018 10:08 PM

Nice. Good to see that car still doing what it was built to do :D

EVO8LTW Apr 6, 2018 05:54 AM

Looks like your oil pressure is dropping 20-50 psi in hard right handers (based on the middle gauge in the videos). I'd be careful about turning up the wick for Gridlife, unless you do more to keep oil pressure in check (better pan, Accusump, dry sump, etc.).

V.8MR Apr 7, 2018 04:59 PM

I dont know, HondaGuy had some damn good luck considering the amount of track use. That might be a bit of a unicorn motor.

dave_evolvix Apr 8, 2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW (Post 11814386)
Looks like your oil pressure is dropping 20-50 psi in hard right handers (based on the middle gauge in the videos). I'd be careful about turning up the wick for Gridlife, unless you do more to keep oil pressure in check (better pan, Accusump, dry sump, etc.).

By all the reading I've been doing on oiling systems for track Evos, it would seem that the WHP of the motor is a very important factor. I think most mild WHP evos that are well maintained seem to have little to no issues with lowered oil pressure in turns on sticky tires. Seems like solid advice - before you go up in power, upgrade the oiling to handle big sticky tires and high power. Looks like he's keeping >40psi at least as well.

LetsGetThisDone Apr 9, 2018 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Who tuned the car? The plots on the dyno sheet should not be that bumpy/ripply, especially on smoothing 5 they should be pretty smooth.

Example-

King Tut Apr 9, 2018 06:12 AM

Your example has a 600 whp axis difference. Mine has a 180 whp axis difference. Everything looks smooth on a plot like that. Also this car is tuned to make small wastegate duty cycle changes as RPM increases to drop boost. That is what creates the non smooth graph. Note how much smoother the graph looks prior to the point we start dropping boost. The car was tuned by CBRD. The tune has been used for over a year on track with no issues.

honda-guy Apr 16, 2018 05:33 AM

he's on stock engine and stock turbo on pump gas, he's not going to make more than 350 whp even if he turns the wick all the way up.

most of the track evo i've seen with engine issues are from oil (stock oil system) but from other things. i used to see as low as 20 psi on corners before i did the kiggly mod and port out the oil return ports in the head.

it's normal to see jagged dyno plot like that with smooth factor of 5 which nasa requires.

it's great to see my car in another capable hands wheelin the sh!t out of it.

Ayoustin Apr 16, 2018 07:14 AM

Did you go to Mid Ohio this past weekend? Planning to go to Gingerman in June?

Also as far as oil pressure goes, I've got a Kiggly regulator and Tomei crank scraper, ran 1/2qt extra oil this past weekend at Gingerman. Didn't see any oil pressure drops but I was on street tires because the first three sessions were raining/wet. After things dried out I still wasn't seeing/hearing (I've got a buzzer than sounds if pressure goes under 20psi) any oil pressure drops but the real test will be when I go back again in two weeks with my slicks.

honda-guy Apr 16, 2018 08:51 AM

yeah, huge difference in oil pressure drop between street tires and slicks.

EVO8LTW Apr 17, 2018 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ayoustin (Post 11816105)
Did you go to Mid Ohio this past weekend? Planning to go to Gingerman in June?

Also as far as oil pressure goes, I've got a Kiggly regulator and Tomei crank scraper, ran 1/2qt extra oil this past weekend at Gingerman. Didn't see any oil pressure drops but I was on street tires because the first three sessions were raining/wet. After things dried out I still wasn't seeing/hearing (I've got a buzzer than sounds if pressure goes under 20psi) any oil pressure drops but the real test will be when I go back again in two weeks with my slicks.

How did you rig up the buzzer? I’ve got a buzzer tied to the CEL to monitor knock. Just got a Zeitronix oil pressure sender (already have a ZT-2) and am planning to log pressure and hopefully set up some sort of audible warning mechanism for low pressure.

Ayoustin Apr 17, 2018 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW (Post 11816304)

How did you rig up the buzzer? I’ve got a buzzer tied to the CEL to monitor knock. Just got a Zeitronix oil pressure sender (already have a ZT-2) and am planning to log pressure and hopefully set up some sort of audible warning mechanism for low pressure.

I have Defi gauges, it's just a function that the Defi stuff has. I also have my CEL setup for knock as well, but I'm also getting a ton of false knock.

Abacus Apr 18, 2018 06:38 PM

Congrats on buying a well sorted car man. Looks like you are having a blast with it. Oil pressure looks unhappy at a few points. Regardless of HP, engines don't like losing oil pressure. I think moving to the Racefab oil pan would be a solid investment if you aren't going drysump. Its been proven to work well on big slicks and has increased capacity. That pan and an accusump would be on my list if I was running on sticky tires.

This thread has a bunch of data .

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...-sump-pan.html