EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   Exh mani temps (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/751069-exh-mani-temps.html)

kaj Sep 28, 2018 11:51 PM

Exh mani temps

Does anyone know what temps a cast exh
mani actually reaches, other than "glowing red"?
😂
I have a header/mani coating that goes inside the runners, but don't want to exceed the recommended temp and have it flake off, or something crazy.

Is 1200-1400°F reasonable? The coating is good to 1800°F and the more heat = better the cure.

3gturbo Sep 29, 2018 01:52 AM

Tuning a turbo car 1600 degrees is nominal your going to exceed that 1800 periodically

LetsGetThisDone Sep 29, 2018 10:31 AM

With sustained use, the manifold will reach near EGT. Which is 1500-1800 depending on fuel and how the car is tuned.

Biggiesacks Sep 29, 2018 10:35 AM

doesn't bouncing off the two step get stupid hot too? Only relevant if you use that feature I guess. I know its pretty brief but the coating would take the brunt of that. I have no idea if this is a problem or not just kinda throwing it out there.

kaj Sep 29, 2018 10:56 AM

No two step here and I only track with e85, but have no clue what kind of exhaust temps I'd getting other than "less than pump gas".
:crap:

RazorLab Sep 29, 2018 10:56 AM

OEM hotside and manifold will easily reach 1600f+

kaj Sep 29, 2018 02:06 PM

Seems that if I were to exceed 1800°F, I'd have more important things to worry about?
😂

codgi Sep 29, 2018 09:52 PM

Yep. Regular driving I think it will be around 1400-1500 depending on tune. When I track it I see 1600+ on 92 as others have noted. It does glow and over time I have noticed the coating that BR used on their coated exhaust manifold has started to flake. Can't hate on that though since it's gotta be a 10+ year old piece......

kaj Sep 29, 2018 11:16 PM

I coated the exterior, as a test. We'll see!

Balrok Sep 30, 2018 11:45 AM

The cast iron parts are kinda moot to "coat" because they will flake/chunk eventually. By flaking on the inside that would throw it into the turbo which isn't good. Coated SS parts kinda turn colors but don't flake really, it's more of a fine dust. In the end all coats will fail. The only thing that really works as a temp barrier is wrap and even that eventually disintegrates but knowing that it's easy enough to replace every year.

LetsGetThisDone Sep 30, 2018 11:47 AM

The turbo doesn't care about flakes of ceramic coating going through the turbine/hot side. Not gonna hurt anything. Not like it's a chunk of piston or valve ;)

kaj Sep 30, 2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Balrok (Post 11841492)
The cast iron parts are kinda moot to "coat" because they will flake/chunk eventually. By flaking on the inside that would throw it into the turbo which isn't good. Coated SS parts kinda turn colors but don't flake really, it's more of a fine dust. In the end all coats will fail. The only thing that really works as a temp barrier is wrap and even that eventually disintegrates but knowing that it's easy enough to replace every year.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11841493)
The turbo doesn't care about flakes of ceramic coating going through the turbine/hot side. Not gonna hurt anything. Not like it's a chunk of piston or valve ;)

The coating is weird. It's like a fine, metallic coating. Kinda cool.
Everything is currently assembled and hand tight. Tempting to try.
I'll see how it holds up on the outside and go from.there.

EVO8LTW Sep 30, 2018 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11841493)

It might care about Swain white lightning chunks. That's what I have on my exhaust manifold, exterior only for that reason. It started flaking within 1 year of tracking the car. But once the pretty white surface layer flaked off, the rest of the graying part of the coating has been very durable and long lasting.

LetsGetThisDone Sep 30, 2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
It might care about Swain white lightning chunks. That's what I have on my exhaust manifold, exterior only for that reason. It started flaking within 1 year of tracking the car. But once the pretty white surface layer flaked off, the rest of the graying part of the coating has been very durable and long lasting.

That stuff maybe. But that's not a typical ceramic coating that's only a few thou thick.

RazorLab Sep 30, 2018 07:18 PM

Just get ATP inconel shielding, done.