EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   2019 - SCCA Time Trials (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/752237-2019-scca-time-trials.html)

Dallas J Dec 12, 2018 04:04 PM

2019 - SCCA Time Trials

So SCCA just launched there Time Trials website today with dates/locations for the national series.

http://timetrials.scca.com/

I think this has big promise for bridging us Autocrossers to track duty and helping expand Time Trials by getting regional Road Racing clubs to support Time Trial classes during race weekends. Its not all sunshine and roses but its a good start.

Who's giving it a go? What class are you fitting in?

Balrok Dec 12, 2018 05:11 PM

What I'm looking forward to is the Road Racing classes they then add to the Time Trial clubs lol.

piper971 Dec 12, 2018 06:53 PM

I am definitely interested. Actually watching the live discussion on GRM’s FB feed right now.

kaj Dec 12, 2018 07:43 PM

I *think* I'm in Max2, but with SCCA, I'll never really sure.

Ayoustin Dec 12, 2018 11:44 PM

I'm in the Max 2 class. I'm kind of liking the rule sets but I think there's a lot of grey zone left in the max class. It's looking like most of the particular rules that have nitty gritty details are the aero section so that I'll need to read again to make sure I'm compliant with. I'm interested to see how the tires situation works out for them as they've ruled out the ACR and A052 tires.

I think it's possible to get an evo down into the high 2400lb range with a cage but that's the extreme far end requiring a fair bit of money and even still the class allows down the 2250lbs so I think there's going to be some pretty competitive light ass Hondas.

Definitely keeping my eyes on this, I think I might try to make it out to one or two events this coming season.

kyoo Dec 13, 2018 06:43 AM

i'm in tuner T2 i believe. i'd like to hit an event but i've already got a ton on the calendar, really going to focus on autobahn country club this year

Dallas J Dec 13, 2018 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ayoustin (Post 11852582)
I'm in the Max 2 class. I'm kind of liking the rule sets but I think there's a lot of grey zone left in the max class. It's looking like most of the particular rules that have nitty gritty details are the aero section so that I'll need to read again to make sure I'm compliant with. I'm interested to see how the tires situation works out for them as they've ruled out the ACR and A052 tires.

I think it's possible to get an evo down into the high 2400lb range with a cage but that's the extreme far end requiring a fair bit of money and even still the class allows down the 2250lbs so I think there's going to be some pretty competitive light ass Hondas.

Definitely keeping my eyes on this, I think I might try to make it out to one or two events this coming season.

I need to double check the rules but doesnt it specify 0.85 of mfg weight minimum? It use too at least.

kyoo Dec 13, 2018 06:51 AM

per the other discussion:

1. Fuels comprised of more than 15% ethanol may only be used when specified by the manufacturer (e.g., in the owner’s manual for flex-fuel vehicles).

yes, if the car is a flex fuel car, then it is allowed. not applicable for evos (these are level 1 rules, which are shared by level 2)

Ayoustin Dec 13, 2018 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 11852599)
I need to double check the rules but doesnt it specify 0.85 of mfg weight minimum? It use too at least.

The only mention of weight I see is for the class cuts ups, 1 vs 2 vs 3. We are considered 3.0-3.6L because FI multiplier.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...7104567613.png

rocknsnoboarder Dec 13, 2018 07:05 AM

200TW tires in all classes but unlimited?

Ayoustin Dec 13, 2018 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder (Post 11852605)
200TW tires in all classes but unlimited?

It gets considerably more expensive to compete in time trials on anything stickier. When you look at high end time attack events like WTAC, guys use tires for only 1 or 2 flying laps before throwing a new set on.

I see it as a way of trying to level the playing field from a cost perspective, I'm sure others will not agree.

Dallas J Dec 13, 2018 08:00 AM

Looking at the rules, It must have change with the 0.85 rule on weight. Still going to be a big difference in the M2 weights with an N/A car or <1.6l turbo. If I were building something from scratch for the class, an EG or EK hatch with a B16 might be hard to beat. That comes in like 0.01 under the 2.4l corrected engine size. Or a destroked K20 down to a 1.5l.

The rules do say you have to have all interior panels unless you're caged. But panels can be light and doesn't say anything needs to be under the skin. I assume you could get an evo down close to the min weight but weight distribution is going to only get worse.

wanabgts Dec 13, 2018 08:16 AM

The first thing that I see is that there are far too many classes, you will be lucky to have one other person in your class to compete with unless the series just explodes. Also, that is the worst organized set of rules I have ever tried to read online. Unless you read all the classes cover to cover it is a lot harder to get a feel for what is allowed and what isn't.

They have a Portland date, and I would like to participate. I feel however they are off on the wrong foot with have 5 levels of classification within every class......

Zack

Ayoustin Dec 13, 2018 08:26 AM

A turbo 1.5 k20 or a b16 in a light chassis would definitely be a strong contender.

I'm curious to see what they allow with a cage, my doors are gutted to the point that all that remains is the outer skin and the latch mechanism. Even tilton's evo was still in the 2400lb range I think. The lightest evo I've seen was in the 2300s but was a drag car so it was tubed framed in the front and rear, the chassis was cheese wheeled, and the cage was NHRA spec so like half the weight of anythimg you'll find in a road course car.

As for the classes, there's not too many IMO, the way it's broken down is sport and tuner are meant to be more spec'd and chassis relevant to keep more chassis' competitive instead of everyone hopping to the same chassis for the sake of winning. Max and unlimited move into the custom side of things with weight and displacement being the classifiers. Max having 3 classes and unlimited having 2.

kyoo Dec 13, 2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wanabgts (Post 11852621)
The first thing that I see is that there are far too many classes, you will be lucky to have one other person in your class to compete with unless the series just explodes. Also, that is the worst organized set of rules I have ever tried to read online. Unless you read all the classes cover to cover it is a lot harder to get a feel for what is allowed and what isn't.

They have a Portland date, and I would like to participate. I feel however they are off on the wrong foot with have 5 levels of classification within every class......

Zack

i think that's just typical scca. they feel that unless every single aspect of every single car is somehow covered under a specific rule, people will go crazy building monsters and it's not fair, and thus would harm competition and participation.

nasa, gridlife, every other racing series: hold my beer...