EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   Breaking in new parts (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/752343-breaking-new-parts.html)

kaj Dec 20, 2018 10:47 PM

Breaking in new parts

So, I have a fresh trans and rear differential going in. How in heck do you guys break stuff in? It's gonna take me forever to put 500mi on this thing!
Do you guys actually daily the cars until you put all the mileage on?

whtrice Dec 21, 2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11853454)
So, I have a fresh trans and rear differential going in. How in heck do you guys break stuff in? It's gonna take me forever to put 500mi on this thing!
Do you guys actually daily the cars until you put all the mileage on?

Pick a nice sunny day and drive to Sacto and back on 5.....that'll put almost 400 on it. Of course daily it would be the way to go. Works the gear box with the new synchos and does loading and unloading of the bearings and surfaces.

Of course if trac car.... drive it like you stole it. : )

huzzle101 Dec 21, 2018 04:10 AM

My evo is my daily...........

shawn360h Dec 21, 2018 04:44 AM

When I had my trans and t case rebuilt by tre John recommended street driving it. He told me to go easy on it and have varying speed and rpms thought out all gears. Cruising on the highway in 5th gear was not preferred. My .02 cents

LetsGetThisDone Dec 21, 2018 08:48 AM

TRE gives break in instructions. 5 heat cycles of about ~15 miles of mixed driving. Keep it under 55-60mph for the first 100 miles. After that, drive it easy out to 500 miles. As stated, freeway cruising is not ideal, you want varying loads and speeds. And for the trans, you want the synchros and all the gears to break in, so street driving is ideal.

Changes fluids after the first 1000 miles, and then again at the 5000 mile mark.

kaj Dec 21, 2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by whtrice (Post 11853461)
Pick a nice sunny day and drive to Sacto and back on 5.....that'll put almost 400 on it. Of course daily it would be the way to go. Works the gear box with the new synchos and does loading and unloading of the bearings and surfaces.

Of course if trac car.... drive it like you stole it. : )

Freeway is a big no no. I have to keep the diff at low speeds at first.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11853493)
TRE gives break in instructions. 5 heat cycles of about ~15 miles of mixed driving. Keep it under 55-60mph for the first 100 miles. After that, drive it easy out to 500 miles. As stated, freeway cruising is not ideal, you want varying loads and speeds. And for the trans, you want the synchros and all the gears to break in, so street driving is ideal.

Changes fluids after the first 1000 miles, and then again at the 5000 mile mark.

I read all that. It's gonna be tough because I hardly drive the car. The first change @ 500 miles will take god knows how long. After that , I'm good because it takes 2-3 yrs to put on 5k miles (kidding. I change annually).

whtrice Dec 21, 2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11853497)

I read all that. It's gonna be tough because I hardly drive the car. The first change @ 500 miles will take god knows how long. After that , I'm good because it takes 2-3 yrs to put on 5k miles (kidding. I change annually).

Yup that is why I recommended the second option....but if you want it done quickly I gave you choices...Lol....Just not what I would do. Others appear to concur on my 2nd choice as well.

kaj Dec 21, 2018 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by whtrice (Post 11853499)
Yup that is why I recommended the second option....but if you want it done quickly I gave you choices...Lol....Just not what I would do. Others appear to concur on my 2nd choice as well.

Yes. I credit you for your recommendation. I wasn't trying to challenge or imply you were wrong. Just commenting that I am aware of why freeway driving is contraindicated.

whtrice Dec 21, 2018 09:45 AM

Did you change final drive or other trans gear ratios / TRE Maxxlock diff?

LetsGetThisDone Dec 21, 2018 09:55 AM

So you complained about spending $1500 on getting a proper diff built, and now you seem to be seeing how to work around the break in instructions from the person who built the diff.

I'm sure this will end well.

LetsGetThisDone Dec 21, 2018 10:00 AM

In B4 "why is my brand new TRE diff whining, there's only 1200 miles on it."

kaj Dec 21, 2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by whtrice (Post 11853503)
Did you change final drive or other trans gear ratios / TRE Maxxlock diff?

maxxlock {thumbup}

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11853506)
So you complained about spending $1500 on getting a proper diff built, and now you seem to be seeing how to work around the break in instructions from the person who built the diff.

I'm sure this will end well.

1. I didn't complain about having a proper diff built. My frustration has nothing to do with that.

2. It doesn't hurt to ask. Assuming Jon builds diffs for race cars, I can't imagine they drive around town for 500mi, so am wondering what they do. Things maybe aren't always what they seem.

LetsGetThisDone Dec 21, 2018 10:04 AM

Race car drivetrain parts get broken and or refreshed often. If you want it to last, follow his instructions.

kaj Dec 21, 2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11853511)
Race car drivetrain parts get broken and or refreshed often. If you want it to last, follow his instructions.

Pretty much where I'm at, at this point. I'll have to get the diff in asap (was gonna do both) and take random drives around town. 500 miles....blech.

Wanted EVO IX Dec 21, 2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11853497)

Cali Freeways are parking lots most times, would be ideal for you. I do think it will be a long time for you to rack up those miles though. Don't you have some good canyon or motorcycle routes you can look up?