SRT-4 gave me a good run (illegal street racing thread from 2003) - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Go Back  EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community > Miscellaneous > New Off-Topic
Reload this Page >

SRT-4 gave me a good run (illegal street racing thread from 2003)

Notices
New Off-Topic Open to all members. Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the Lancer and Lancer Evolution in any way.

Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

I dunno if street races are appropriate in this forum but I didn't know where else I should put it

I was coming up to a 3 lane intersection in the middle lane with cars in the middle and left sitting at the red light. All of a sudden I see a shiny silver neon come up behind me and it didn't take me long to realize what had found me. So I pull into the only open lane and he gets behind me. The road goes down to two lanes after the intersection but it was an explorer (i think) in the middle lane so it wasn't really an issue. Light goes green and I take off (no launch) and floor it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and he's only a little bit behind. Not much of a race really since its hard to tell whether he was running full or making sure to keep a safe distance.

Fortunately the next light turns red and no one is at it. We line up but I spot a sheriff sitting in oncoming traffic so I tell him not to go. Sure enough as soon as we pass the cop, he floors it and I do the same a fraction later. I was in 2nd gear at the time and ran the car pretty high into 4th, I'm guessing around 90-95 mph, I wasn't looking at the speedo . Essentially from 20-90 we were dead even. I think I gained a couple feet right when we took off cause he was a bit ahead at first and through the whole race our doors were even. Needless to say I was impressed.

I talked to him at the next light and he said that he had a "Mopar stage 1" kit or something to that effect? He also told me that our cars have the same turbo, which I didn't know. Pretty cool

Jason
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

nope, thats what they do stock you have to cut them off the line while they have traction probs.. their cars have a quicker steeper torque curve but ours is broader. I run 98 octane and it realllly helps.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

they dont have the same turbo lol
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

They have a 16G but not the exact same.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by sccavee
They have a 16G but not the exact same.
Just curious, what's the difference? I posted on srt forums and no one mentioned there were differences. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

the mopar stage one is upgraded ecu and injectors.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

eh, don't be bothered by SRt-4s keeping up with you in a straight line. Evos and Srt-4s put ~the same hp to the wheels stock. Well, the srt-4 puts a lil less, but it also weighs a lil less, so It balances out. Rest assured in the fact that your evo is better in every other concievable way than stock straightline power. And even stock, I have a feeling the Evo would Take an srt-4....
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Technoz

Just curious, what's the difference? I posted on srt forums and no one mentioned there were differences. Thanks!
Our turbo is a twin scroll design to reduce lag, air enters at 2 sections. Between AWD drivetrain loss and a poorly tuned fuel map in the higher revs from a roll and at higher speeds these races are always a lot closer then they should be.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Their both a 16g turbo. I believe the Compressor and turbine wheels are the same size. Thats about the only similarites. We have a twin scroll that spins in the opposite direction than most other turbos. Also on the dodge the turbo housing and exhaust cast together. meaning their one peice. Which really sucks when it comes time to upgrade the turbo.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:12 PM

The compressor wheels are the only similarity. The turbine wheel on the SRT is a very small TD04. As mentioned before the housing is a F-ed up 1 piece design.

Good race BTW!!!

Jason
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

hey technoz, are you running stock?

yeah those SRT-4's are quick i haven't seen any in naperville....was this in naperville?

and i still haven't seen you around yet...lol
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was in naperville for a week and saw no evos.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:26 PM

yes they are pretty quick, My friend who works at the same squadron and in the same shop got his srt-4 2 months after I got my EVO. yes , we did race . and yes, I did open a major can of whoopass =). we must have raced for like an hour str8 around 1:30 am . Light after light and twisty road after twisty road. When he started to smell something we stopped. he opened the hood and his turbo was redder than my girls ***** after sex all night. Was glowing! I guess their turbo's are not meant for endurance.....
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Abestyle2109
he opened the hood and his turbo was redder than my girls ***** after sex all night. Was glowing!
holy ****! thats the best thing ive heard in a while!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by heshamnaim
hey technoz, are you running stock?

yeah those SRT-4's are quick i haven't seen any in naperville....was this in naperville?

and i still haven't seen you around yet...lol
Pretty stock yeah other than a cone filter

It was on 75th between 355 and rt 53, right on the edge of Warrenville I think

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRT-4 gave me a good run (illegal street racing thread from 2003)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.