Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Feeler: Fun drive in the DFW area in the coming month

Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feeler: Fun drive in the DFW area in the coming month

After the driving roads thread, I've had several requests for the information on both my suggested road and a drive I might put together. I decided to go ahead and make it official to gauge interest and try to coordinate a date and time that would work for the most people.

Here is the background so far:

Lots of ups and downs, turns, and straightaways. Minimal traffic/crossroads/dangerous areas, although I will be scouting the roads with Kracka sometime in the next few weeks to make notes for every driver as well as me being an official "pace car" to keep things under control. This is about enjoying the cars, roads, and scenery without threatening each other, our surroundings, others, etc. Safe but spirited driving (I don't think anyone will be disappointed).

I'll add to that now that there is interest for a potential group drive: I would be happy to do the scouting (even though I've driven these roads dozens of times over the past three or so years) just to make some notes on potential places people could get confused/separated, where to take it easy, where it would be worth turning around and driving more than one pass, etc. I have done several Sunday Morning Drives with my old gang, North Texas Audi Group and the guy does a truly first-rate job so I have had a pretty good example set so far. I might not make it quite that formal, but we could do a solid hour-plus of continuous "spirited" driving after meeting somewhere convenient along the way.

I can go as official as everyone bringing an FRS radio or as informal as just exchanging phone numbers and possibly a "cheat sheet" of the route.

We can stop somewhere near where we end up (Granbury/Cresson area) for lunch, go somewhere back towards town, run the route in reverse or make a loop, no lunch, whatever everyone is interested in.

So things that I would like to get sorted out from those who are interested:

Date and time (I would prefer a Saturday or possibly Sunday morning meeting around 8:30 A.M., although this is very flexible.)

Length of actual drive

Lunch or no lunch

Feel free to post up any questions you may have, I will do my best to answer them. I won't publicly disclose the route for obvious reasons, but plan on meeting at a convenient location somewhere in or near the west side of Fort Worth.

Go Cowboys!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Should be fun! I like the idea of meeting somewhere to get a quick breakfast (Dunkin Donuts, fast food of some sort, etc.) and then ending up at a location for a group lunch before heading home. With how loud some of our cars are I've had very bad luck when using FRS radios on cruises, but have had great luck putting together simple map packets for people to follow if they get separated from the group. When we scout the route I'd also like to find some scenic meeting spots for everyone to regroup and take some pics.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Great suggestions- There are several places where photo opps may be possible. We need NTEC input on this one guys!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

I think we should meet for lunch somewhere along the drive. Meeting ealry in the morning is good. 8:00am - 9:00am, because in reality, we won't start until 9:00am - 10:00am. Either someone is always late, or something is always holding us up. Sorry, but its true.

Some of the previous drives we have been on have lasted a good 4-6 hours, with lunch in the middle.

The last two drives, that I know of, NTEC has driven is the Tom Turbines Drive and the Dinosaur Valley Drive. That may give you some ideas to the scenery we have and have not seen.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info! The drives I do are typically on that lengthier side too.. I'm sure I can figure out how to stretch this one out or we could keep it a little shorter if most would prefer that. Like I said, I'm very open to suggestions. This all started after I PMed a few guys with one of my favorite semi-local driving roads, so the backbone of the drive will be leading everyone to that spot.
I agree on the timing thing completely, morning is definitely best.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:24 PM

Glad youre puttin this on man. I tried but other events got in the way during that time but im most def down to drive. Im always in for sunday morning with breakfast and lunch and then a spirited drive home. My idea was to go northbound by the tx/ok border and cruise those roads if that helps any.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

There are lots of great roads in that area, some of which JJ alluded to above.
I am heading more west as this drive is based around a stretch of road that I am showing to several guys who are interested. It might not be the longest one, but it is one of the most fun that I have driven. I've got several offers of people who want to help me scout or possibly string more onto the end of this particular road. We'll see how it goes and it will be a fun and safe time for all who are interested!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:02 AM

Sounds like a great idea. I known when we did the drive through the hill country we used handheld radios and didn't have much trouble with that. I have a fairly loud car as does Sean, and we were able to communicate through out the hills and then on the backroads on the way back.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya, but Matt in the caddilac had a much easier time communicating lol.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Indeed. You guys were mighty quiet there during the corners.

On a similar note, though, what kind of radios would owners suggest I pick up?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:22 PM

Motorola seems to get the best reviews, and I saw the same set I bought at Bass pro on sale at Frys a few weeks ago for $39.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

So whats the plan so far? A sunday definitely works better for me as usually I work on saturdays. I also love breakfast so meeting somewhere for that is a plus for me
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Plan so far sounds like breakfast-drive-lunch possibly driving back on the same route in reverse or simply dispersing and taking the quickest way home for everybody depending on where they live. I'm working on going out with one or two people to take some notes/scout proper route length and location for a group to meet and drive. I want to make sure this is well done and that I take everyone's input into consideration.
I have a breakfast place in mind that is directly off of I-30 which should be convenient for everyone coming in from east of Fort Worth.
Sunday sounds like the best day for most people so far. Bear in mind we've got our Cowboys playing for the next several Sundays, so I'll do a Saturday scouting run in the coming week or two then post an official date/time.
Keep the suggestions coming guys!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrMTB View Post
Indeed. You guys were mighty quiet there during the corners.

On a similar note, though, what kind of radios would owners suggest I pick up?
Originally Posted by krisiun View Post
Motorola seems to get the best reviews, and I saw the same set I bought at Bass pro on sale at Frys a few weeks ago for $39.
don't know if anyone makes one w/a 12v plug, but
the way mine eats its 3 batteries, it will pay for itself in no time
btw,
mine DID pay for itself on the '07 Arkansas Twisties Tour when the lead car announced the speed trap he just flew into
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SX600...&s=electronics

These have good reviews, and have a mini-usb port for charging... (with a 12v CLA to USB adapter, there you are). Might have to go ahead and order a set of these next paycheck.

'07 Arkansas Twisties Tour - Ah, that was a great time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feeler: Fun drive in the DFW area in the coming month

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.