Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman

I decided to take my wife on a quick 4 day excursion to Grand Cayman island for our Christmas this year and get the hell out of dodge during the terrible 40 degree winters we have here in Texas (we both hate winter). We have chosen to stay on the main island and so far we have scheduled to go on a fishing charter and to go to Stingray City but we have 2 more full days of things to fill up on our trip. If anyone has been and has any good/bad advice please drop a line and let me know!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

renting a hobie cat is fun, we did that in costa rica. its like a super tiny catamaran that with 10 minutes of instruction you'll be able to do on your own.

also, if your into marine life, find a reef and go snorkling. we went for our first time in australia and now i'm going to be planning all my vacations around it

i know you'll find both those around grand cayman.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Scuba.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We went a few years ago and it's one of our favorite places. I highly recommend Captain Marvins for tours: http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Small groups, friendly people, etc.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SiliconTek
terrible 40 degree winters we have here in Texas (we both hate winter)
"winter" hell, I call that spring where I am from.

Get to know the locals or a local. Find out where they eat. Might be well off the beaten trail. And thats generally a great thing.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the responses! I will definately look into the Captain Marvins Tours.

I am currently buying my GoPro HD camera with the underwater fix enclosure from Eye of Mine. I think I am going to pick up a Canon Underwater 12mp camera. I really wish I had both of those in Thailand. For the price of a underwater enclosure for my Canon HF20, I can buy both the GoPro and the Canon underwater sport camera.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Get the Sony TX5.

It's a good P&S and is waterproof and dust proof (and shock proof if you're a clutz like me).

I used it while snorkeling in Playa this year. Worked well, although there wasn't a lot to take pictures of.

A couple other cool things about it are that it has a panoramic mode (here's one we took at the Plano balloon festival: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1347470667) and it can take multi-frames/second in burst mode (good for fish, kids, cars, etc. where it's hard to bracket them).

Also they finally moved away from memory stick (it takes either memory stick or SD card).
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Get the Sony TX5.

It's a good P&S and is waterproof and dust proof (and shock proof if you're a clutz like me).

I used it while snorkeling in Playa this year. Worked well, although there wasn't a lot to take pictures of.

A couple other cool things about it are that it has a panoramic mode (here's one we took at the Plano balloon festival: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1347470667) and it can take multi-frames/second in burst mode (good for fish, kids, cars, etc. where it's hard to bracket them).

Also they finally moved away from memory stick (it takes either memory stick or SD card).
That looks great!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:40 AM

there is quite a lot to do when you and your wife get here, and plenty restaurants to choose from, lobster pot, cracked conch, rackhams, hammerhead, deckers, aqua beach, calico jack, just to name a few, captain marvins tour is also a good recommend, hope you enjoy when you get here
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Get the Sony TX5.

I ended up spending a few hours checking out reviews on cameras and ended up deciding on the Panasonic TS2 14MP 10M camera. The Sony TX5 was my second choice and the only reason I didn't choose it was I don't want anything mechanical sliding when the main use of this is going to be in dirty, sanding conditions. The Canon and the Panasonic were the only ones with no moving parts and the Panasonic out of those two takes 720p video underwater really well. Depth and function were my main concerns. The Sony TX5 was damn nice though!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackchiney-8
there is quite a lot to do when you and your wife get here, and plenty restaurants to choose from, lobster pot, cracked conch, rackhams, hammerhead, deckers, aqua beach, calico jack, just to name a few, captain marvins tour is also a good recommend, hope you enjoy when you get here
I really want to try some Conch. I don't like shark much, I used to catch and eat my own hammerhead and black tip when I living in the Galveston area.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

We went a few years ago and it's one of our favorite places. I highly recommend Captain Marvins for tours: http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Small groups, friendly people, etc.
I booked our half day tour with Captain Marvin. We are doing the Saturday morning triple tour, Stingray City, Barrier Reef, and Coral Gardens. Thanks for the tip, not bad for $39 a person!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Nope for the price it was a great deal.

We actually got there a bit early and a longer tour leaving right when we got there and they just had us go out on it for the same price
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

I went there for my Honeymoon It was INCREDIBLE!! Definitely go check out Sting Ray city on the sand bar. That is an experience I will never forget. There are 100's of wild sting rays there you can swim with. They are so tame you can get "back massages from them". There is a beach called Rum Point. I highly recommend planing a day or afternoon to just go hang out at rum point. It is a very relaxing beach, with trees and super clear water. They have a little restaurant and bar right on the beach that makes a pretty good hamburger. The snorkeling is awesome, there are several ship wreaks very close to shore you can snorkel, I snorkeled a wreck that was caused by rice (The wreck of the Cali (grand cayman)... the ship got a small leak the rice expanded and fracture the haul, so the story goes... the ship was a sailing ship converted to diesel and its like one of the largest diesel engines fitted to a sailing ship or something, the thing is MASSIVE.

And since this is an evo forum, I saw 2 evo 8s and 1 evo 9 within a three hour time period.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denver
I went there for my Honeymoon It was INCREDIBLE!! Definitely go check out Sting Ray city on the sand bar. That is an experience I will never forget. There are 100's of wild sting rays there you can swim with. They are so tame you can get "back massages from them". There is a beach called Rum Point. I highly recommend planing a day or afternoon to just go hang out at rum point. It is a very relaxing beach, with trees and super clear water. They have a little restaurant and bar right on the beach that makes a pretty good hamburger. The snorkeling is awesome, there are several ship wreaks very close to shore you can snorkel, I snorkeled a wreck that was caused by rice (The wreck of the Cali (grand cayman)... the ship got a small leak the rice expanded and fracture the haul, so the story goes... the ship was a sailing ship converted to diesel and its like one of the largest diesel engines fitted to a sailing ship or something, the thing is MASSIVE.

And since this is an evo forum, I saw 2 evo 8s and 1 evo 9 within a three hour time period.
Awesome, thanks! I added Rum Point to my todo list.