Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

NY Exhaust db Legal Limit? HKS Hi Power db Street Legal?

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Exhaust db Legal Limit? HKS Hi Power db Street Legal?

It finally happened... 1.5 years of owning this exhaust with no problems and a cop took the liberty to make a u-turn as I was passing him and pulled me over today because of my HKS Hi Power Catback Exhaust. Got a summons and got to report to court cause cop says it's too loud.

Can anyone tell me if the HKS Hi Power Cat-Back Exhaust is db street legal? and what the legal db sound limits are in NYC?

Only plus side is that the korean cop said i had a nice car but showed no love for his fellow korean.

Thanks Officer Kim.

Last edited by t3t418t; Mar 3, 2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

any exhaust mods are illegal in ny state. The decibal level varys town to town and city to city but anything other than stock could get you a ticket. There are ways to finagal your way out of it if you are lucky. If you have stockexhaust you can put it back on within 24 hours of summons and get any police person to look @ car and sign off on ticket. My friend @ work got off the ticket @ court and then coming back to work from court same trooper pulled him over and gave him another ticket. Ive had a state trooper tell me that a cop that writes you a ticket just for exhaust is a a55hole with nothing better to do. I would like that trooper to tell that to the trooper in his barracks that gave me a ticket for my exhaust on my honda wich I still have to go to court for.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

oh thats nice, i have an HKS carbon ti being shipped to me lol

you got stuck with a cop that had nothing better to do, and it sux...before the evo i had an is300 running catless with an hks hiper catback, and never got hassled once, and i was driving the car in both CT and NY (long island and NYC)

guess i was lucky
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hk2ronin
any exhaust mods are illegal in ny state. The decibal level varys town to town and city to city but anything other than stock could get you a ticket. There are ways to finagal your way out of it if you are lucky. If you have stockexhaust you can put it back on within 24 hours of summons and get any police person to look @ car and sign off on ticket. My friend @ work got off the ticket @ court and then coming back to work from court same trooper pulled him over and gave him another ticket. Ive had a state trooper tell me that a cop that writes you a ticket just for exhaust is a a55hole with nothing better to do. I would like that trooper to tell that to the trooper in his barracks that gave me a ticket for my exhaust on my honda wich I still have to go to court for.
+1 when ever i get this ticket i put my stocker back on and get it taken away saves you about 85$ i think it is. BTW i also live in new york and get my ***** broken for S**t like this all the time(tints,exhaust,no front plate, etc) yes i know feel bad for me
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

yes the man, the fuzz, the trooper trooper, smokey, popo, 5-0, sucks when he\she is giving you a ticket.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Here is interesting note on this subject. I spoke to a friend of mine who went through the police academy, he told me that they have special unit, that give tickets regarding noise because they have decible meter. Also that a regular cop can't give a ticket like that.

My question when the cop give u ticket, did he use a decible meter?

Also I got ticket just like that, yesterday. I went by a cop car while in neutral about 5mph to a light, I was standing right ahead him. I could not believe when cop came knocking on my passanger side window, he says, "Buddy did you notice your exhaust a little bit loud" I was stunned. I have Borla exhaust which not loud especially when rolling in neutral. Anyhow, I am debating whether to do a mail court and in-person. I am definately going to everybody posted on the outcome, because this is crazy, I had this exhaust for 3 years and never had this problem. I been pulled over before and I have a clean license. Oh well, my friend told it probably a rookie cop who didn't what he was doing.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I have gotten not 1 or 2 but 3 tickets for my HKS hi power. Beat them all, it good to know someone that owns a repair shop. Btw that exhaust is loud only when you get in the gas. I remeber one cop had to ask me to rev the motor to hear how loud it was
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
I have gotten not 1 or 2 but 3 tickets for my HKS hi power. Beat them all, it good to know someone that owns a repair shop.
I have friends that own a repair shop, can you please explain what they can do about this? remember this not a ticket for an illegal exhaust, its for unnecessary noise.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for answers and suggestions
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Are you guys kidding? Theres no way an evo with exhaust is legal not even close, maybe with that new rsr but thats about it, evos sound like f***ing tanks with exhaust.

The only way you can get out of that ticket is to put your stock exhaust on and go to the dealer and they give you a letter that states your o.e.m. equiped. I know this because its happed to me and once with a stock exhaust on my 20ae gti.