Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Illegal Exhaust ticket in MA - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illegal Exhaust ticket in MA - Resolved

Mass. law states that the exhaust cannot be altered such that it is louder than stock. As stated by many wise forum members, an "Illegal Operation" ticket, under 90-16 of MGL is a moving violation.

In March I was given a citation for "Altered Exhaust" under MGL 90-16. I decided to appeal and had a hearing with the Magistrate this morning. I presented multiple pieces of evidence to show that the exhaust on the vehicle is 50-state compliant. Additionally, I had to show that the exhaust was not louder than stock. The Magistrate accepted Tanabe's marketing statements (Under 93dB), along with their sound certificate, along with evidence that the stock Evo exhaust maxes out at 92dB.

I was found not responsible for this violation and the fine/points penalty was cleared.

I've seen quite a few of these popping up on the boards lately. Good luck with your fights, it is unfortunate that these cars become targets but certainly not surprising. Consider your options, an insurance spike from an exhaust violation is probably very painful.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have a Tanabe exhaust of TXS?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Can I get a ticket in MA for the same cause if I'm not from that state?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admin Alumni

Wow, finally somebody who takes some action instead of just complaining about tickets. Sounds like you presented a well researched and well thought out position. Congrats on the outcome and thanks for posting the update. Hopefully this will provide an example on a right way to resolve this issue.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Nice way to follow through on the ticket. Nice work.!!

What i did to my cat back is paint it black,, no big shinney cop eyball catching fart cans for him to notice.

sound+ not shinney > sound + shinney chrome fart can.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I now have the Tanabe Touring Medalion. It is a hard fight, they require a lot of documentation, but I am happy to be cleared of the violation.

Edit, my mistake, I reviewed what little legal wording there is on this law and apparently...yes, if your car is not registered in MA you can get a ticket here for exhaust.

Last edited by avengerhed; Aug 20, 2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:36 AM

Dave that is fantastic news and makes me want the Medalion Touring exhaust even more.

I know that you must have done a hell of a lot of legwork in order to clear your ticket, but do you think you can share any of the information about the process you took? I am sure there are more than a few guys who are in your situation.

Did you get the ticket with the Medalion Touring exhaust? How do you like it?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Great news Dave, Congrats !!!!!!
You mean a 3" stainless steel pipe from the turbo out the back bumper ain't legal in Mass
Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dolemite45
Dave that is fantastic news and makes me want the Medalion Touring exhaust even more.

I know that you must have done a hell of a lot of legwork in order to clear your ticket, but do you think you can share any of the information about the process you took? I am sure there are more than a few guys who are in your situation.

Did you get the ticket with the Medalion Touring exhaust? How do you like it?
I am very impressed with every aspect of the Medalion Touring exhaust...the power, the sound, the look and the price...

It's important to note that I was given the exhaust ticket while stopped in traffic, basically the trooper noticed the radical design of the TurboXS RFL-Ti and wrote a ticket (for double the max fine) for that and my window tint.

As far as fighting the ticket: I brought the sound-legal certificate that ships with the exhaust (that turned out to be pretty worthless) and the marketing statement (under 93dB) from Tanabe's website (this turned out to be worth more) and some sound test data from various sources showing that the exhaust operated at/under the stock evo exhaust (they didn't even look at this).

I made the following points:

- There are no firm decibel limits in MA, just that it must be no louder than stock.
- I was pulled over at idle in heavy traffic with no clear way to define the noise output from MY exhaust
- No stock car was around for comparison
- The exhaust on the car now is designed to be as quiet or quiter than stock

It was actually a difficult fight, the rep for the state troopers was not bending, eventually the Magistrate ruled in my favor.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:15 PM

This an interesting thread b/c recently i was pulled over in Mass for the exact same thing, must have a bored cop, and he was sterotypical and pulled me over, said i had done nothing wrong just my aftermarket exhaust. He asked me if i knew that was the law, told him no b/c im heading on vacation to NH, and i'm from CT car is registered and my license also in CT, and he didnt have any of it, gave me the ticket still and i have to go fight it this friday, I have a Greddy Titanium Turboback system with the stock cat, until my high flow gets here....
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

That is interesting, initially I thought that only MA vehicles could be given the exhaust ticket but apparently that is not the case...there are a few laws where vehicles registered in other states are exempt but 90-16 (Illegal Operation) isn't one of them.

Good luck with your fight. Don't back down.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:47 AM

thanks, i will post the result here after i go, i find this to be rediculous, they are basically telling me i cant drive or go to their state at all...
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:20 AM

did u find the legal wording for the law online?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

yessir...google "MGL 90 16" or http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm <--there
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Can I get a ticket in MA for the same cause if I'm not from that state?
Yes, you can. If the state has a no radar detector law and you use one anyways will you get a ticket b/c your state has a diff law? When I worked for the DA's office I saw lots of guys get screwed from out of state for MA moving violations.

I also got pulled over recently while going under the speed limit. Normal BS and I got a warning. This is why I got a Fubijitsu TBE and painted it no gloss black at the muffler. Looks like stock, even if the 5.0 doesnt know any different.

Quick Reply: Illegal Exhaust ticket in MA - Resolved