Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Ticket for loud exhaust MA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticket for loud exhaust MA

Last weekend a buddy of mine was driving me back from a party (I don't drink and drive) and he got pulled over for speeding (70 on the highway) and I got a ticket for my exhaust for being too loud. Is this worth fighting? I tried looking up exactly where it is in MA law it states that loud exhausts are illegal. i know there is a bill pending in the house now but i doubt it will pass.

On a side note, the cop wrote "Street Racer" on both our tickets....we were the only car on the highway as it was 3am....notice it wasn't street racing...it was street racer...so because of my car he automatically knew thats what i was.

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I'm no lawyer or anything, but I've heard quite a few stories now about people in Ma getting loud exh. tickets and it being legit somehow. I think the law states you cannot modify your exh so that's where they get you when they see the nice and shinny muffler. Also I think this somehow counts as a moving violation on your insurance, so I think it causes your ins. Rating to go up a few points = higher premium. Don't know if this helps any, but just trying to share some knowledge I've gathered.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
in MA it is LIKE a fix-it ticket. Put the exhaust back to stock and when you fight the ticket tell them you fixed it.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, it's a legit law

Yes, you should fight it because...

Yes, it's a moving violation.

Looks like you were the target of some police profiling...nice! Search on MGL 90-16. Lots of us, including yours truly, have appealed this violation and won. It's a very loosely-worded law which leaves too much for interpretation and subjective enforcement.

The fact that he wrote "street racer" is almost infuriating...either way, fight it and win!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
police profiling -> "Street racer" term... ftmfl...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

If your driving at 3AM in an EVO with an exhaust... Expect to be pulled over.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

iv gotten like 3 tickets for loud exhaust and between everyone of em.....knock on wood. theres alot of posts in this NE thread on how to beat them. Id explain how to do it but im at work and cant stay on for that long.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
g'damn street racers.

LOL!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
SO I guess they give tickets to all those Harley Riders too?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
If your driving at 3AM in an EVO with an exhaust... Expect to be pulled over.

Not always.. just depends on the officer. I know half the city cops could care less, its only the staties that bother to pull you over. I don't have an evo but my exhaust is annoyingly loud and I've only had problems with staties.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Not always.. just depends on the officer. I know half the city cops could care less, its only the staties that bother to pull you over. I don't have an evo but my exhaust is annoyingly loud and I've only had problems with staties.
absolutely its only the staties. My townies could care less as long as i'm not driving like an ***. its the F'ing staties that have hard ons for street racers
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Well, I live in the Burbs, and cops love to F with me in the wee hours of the AM. I agree city cops are better, but local burb cops and staties are a pain in the a$$
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

is it really a moving violation? thats crap, the ticket was only 50 bucks...I can't even fight it, my mom put the down on the car, so its under her name, and she hates it so she won't go fight it.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

well.. the first time is a freebie in MA... but i wouldn't waste it on that. Try to get her to fight it the best you can.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:31 AM

most likely it was Accessive Acceleration. they can pull you over from hearing your exhuast if its loud. thats what i have gotten before in pa. it like a gay *** ticket. like 100 fine. so just be careful and put your cats back on!

Quick Reply: Ticket for loud exhaust MA