Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

NJ Inspection - Catalyst Monitor not ready

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 07:54 AM
o2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ Inspection - Catalyst Monitor not ready

Anyone know if I can pass NJ inspection with my Catalyst Monitor not set to ready? I was due for inspection in July and my CEL popped right before the end of the month

I just replaced my o2 sensor and cleared my CEL. All other monitors are Ready, I am just having trouble getting this one set.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the new inspection regs came into effect in May (?), NJ state inspection stations have been dicks about anything out of the ordinary.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
o2 (Aug 3, 2016)
Old Dec 30, 2016, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachG
Since the new inspection regs came into effect in May (?), NJ state inspection stations have been dicks about anything out of the ordinary.

Good luck.
what new inspection regulations? I heard the same thing with passing emission nightmares with some changes this year.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Does that mean they can still fail you if you have no CEL?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Correct they wanted to fail me for having an aftermarket cat but luckily I was still able to pass. I had no cel's but their beef was that it was not an OEM cat. I will just go to a private station next time to not deal with the headache.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Correct they wanted to fail me for having an aftermarket cat but luckily I was still able to pass. I had no cel's but their beef was that it was not an OEM cat. I will just go to a private station next time to not deal with the headache.
Wow. I've passed for over a decade with a high flow cat. Sounds like a nightmare.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
FYI this was at the South Brunswick Station. I usually go to the one in Edison, NJ. Perhaps there are others more lenient.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

I've had no problems in Lodi and Wayne. However, I think maybe they are getting stricter on the tests to placate critics over them exempting older cars. Either way, I'm not taking any chances and going to a private mechanic to inspect this year.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to deal with this problem on my 2004 Evo, and posted about it to some extent. In short, many Evos will throw a CEL code after the installation of a high flow cat. That's because the rear O2 sensor will detect a flow reading different from the oem expected parameters. If you simply clear the code, the CEL will go off. But, it will eventually come back on. That's because it takes a predetermined number of driven miles for the computer to cycle through the cat test again. What really causes confusion, is that the miles driven must be continuous: the motor cannot be turned off ! If you turn the car off befor the cycle is finished, then it has to start all over again. I have driven for months with no CEl, then it would come on again. I finally figured out that if I drove for about 65 continuous miles, the CEL would return.

The same thing applies to (New Jersey) MV Inspection. Even when you clear the CEL, the inspection station will see a Not Ready code for that test if you have not driven enough continuous miles for the test to complete. In NJ, a Not Ready code is the same as a "Fail". Of course, when the CEL returns, you will still fail.

The best solution if your CEL is related to a high flow cat, is to install an O2 extender between the rear O2 sensor and the cat. (There are numerous posts about this in these forums including some of my own.) Then, clear the code, and drive the necessary continuous miles until the test completes. I have never determined the exact number of miles necessary for the test to complete. For me, it was usually 60 to 80 miles, but other owners have experienced slightly different numbers.

Once you do this correctly with the O2 sensor extender, etc. the problem will not return, and you should pass the NJ inspection. However, I have to agree with other Evo owners that its best to stay away from the State Inspection Stations. Keep in mind that even private inspection facilities use the exact same testing procedures, and a Not Ready or an active CEL code will still not pass.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by lcwjr; Jan 24, 2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Jan 25, 2017, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Or simply just flash the ECU to make all needed parameter to pass.

Easier than backpage personals. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-mrfred-2.html
Old Jan 25, 2017, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80

Easier than backpage personals. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-mrfred-2.html
this
Old Mar 8, 2017, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80

I had to laugh at this one!!!

that backpage action is a lot scarier than a nj inspection! Never know when it's a cop.