EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Northeast Region (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/northeast-region-40/)
-   -   NYS Tint Law- Inspections (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/northeast-region/735713-nys-tint-law-inspections.html)

04itr Dec 14, 2016 05:06 AM

NYS Tint Law- Inspections

So my friend works as a tech at Honda and they received a notice regarding tints being part of NYS inspections beginning 1/1/2017. Here is an article I found online regarding it:

http://13wham.com/news/state/ny-law-...tinted-windows

I spoke with a friend of mine in the NYPD and he also confirmed it. Figured I'd let my fellow NY people know about it. If he didnt mention it to me I wouldn't have known.

Robevo RS Dec 14, 2016 11:00 AM

so how you check what is your window tint percentage?

I have tint all over but very light, I have no idea what % though.

04itr Dec 14, 2016 11:07 AM

No clue, I know the police have a light meter and inspection stations are going to get some as well.

greenfire Dec 14, 2016 01:56 PM

Yea its a big topic of discussion in NY. Every shop that does inspections will need a tint meter. NYS inspections are a joke to begin with and now another factor is added to it that can't be enforced properly. No one enforces the shops to do inspections correctly.

fafaforza Jan 16, 2017 08:08 AM

I'll bet very few cops will have light meters with them and will still give you a ticket, even if you're legal, then you have to waste a day taking care of it.

I don't think too many have dB meters or know how to measure exhaust noise, how far away and at what RPM, but they still will give you a ticket.

EkDemski Jan 18, 2017 07:36 AM

From experience I can say that NYS troopers (at least the ones in central new york) do have a light meter to measure tint. I have 15% tint all around on my evo and have been pulled over twice for it within the last 3 years and both times they measured it.

greenfire Jan 18, 2017 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by EkDemski (Post 11702177)
From experience I can say that NYS troopers (at least the ones in central new york) do have a light meter to measure tint. I have 15% tint all around on my evo and have been pulled over twice for it within the last 3 years and both times they measured it.

Are you going to get it re-tinted?

Looks like we are legal at 70% on all four side windows. Rear can be darker.

meckert Jan 18, 2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by EkDemski (Post 11702177)

^^^^The meter is small and slips over the edge of the window. They may not pull you over specifically for the tint, but you can bet they will check it if they pull you over for any other violation and pile on the tickets.. They do that in Texas..

darrell Jan 18, 2017 07:51 PM

Yes 70% or lighter I'm a Benz tech and pretty much no tints at all on the front windows and the meters we have they go on each side of the window to measure all cars come with a tints already from the factory which 80% so anything more the car will failed it

Csanter Jan 18, 2017 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by fafaforza (Post 11701552)
I'll bet very few cops will have light meters with them and will still give you a ticket, even if you're legal, then you have to waste a day taking care of it.

I don't think too many have dB meters or know how to measure exhaust noise, how far away and at what RPM, but they still will give you a ticket.

I've been threatened by Suffolk Sheriffs about tint and exhaust. He accused me of having a large muffler and "illegal tints". I have no tint, and but I am guilty of having a modified exhaust. He issued no ticket.

Anyone that has tint and gets inspected please share your experience!

EkDemski Jan 19, 2017 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by greenfire (Post 11702319)
Are you going to get it re-tinted?

Looks like we are legal at 70% on all four side windows. Rear can be darker.

I went for an inspection in mid December so I've got another year before I've got to deal with it, until then though my tint isn't going anywhere

greenfire Jan 19, 2017 02:14 PM

So here is a question... does an Evo x come with stock tint? If we add 70% tint where do we end up?

EkDemski Jan 20, 2017 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by greenfire (Post 11702683)
So here is a question... does an Evo x come with stock tint? If we add 70% tint where do we end up?

The way I understand from some of the mechanics that I know who do inspections is that it all comes down to how the garage doing the inspection feels about it.

I know a few who will pass with no tint on the front but any % on all the back windows, but I also know a few who will not pass anything with a lower % than 70 anywhere on the vehicle.

The cops play a big factor too and are giving tint tickets no matter what % now because they don't have a full understanding of the law.

greenfire Jan 20, 2017 11:33 AM

So I still pose the question... what is the stock tint on an EvoX? Does anyone know?

Sawdust Jan 21, 2017 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by greenfire (Post 11702933)
So I still pose the question... what is the stock tint on an EvoX? Does anyone know?

Mine came with none.