EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Northwest Region (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/northwest-region-41/)
-   -   Gauge install (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/northwest-region/538515-gauge-install.html)

drocksmash Feb 7, 2011 11:45 PM

Gauge install

Howdy

As you all know I am retarded when I try to do something to my Evo by myself.

I have been wanting to get a new stereo for a while now, and while I am at it I want to move it down to the relocation kit to install some gauges where it is now.

I really liked the prosport gauges but have been researching em and people seem to hate em.. I dont wanna drop the $$ for defi. I am a ***** and like the glow effect but also dont want to waste my $$

So few question
Any other affordable and cosmetically appealing gauges that ring a bell?
Who (if any) would be interested in helping me install the gauges? I already have the 9 cluster and I would be doing Boost/oil tep/ unknown (but def not AFR) - already have my AFR on steering wheel.

Once i lock down what I want Ill order em, but wondering if anyone knows what they are doing and will be down to help

drocksmash Feb 7, 2011 11:46 PM

oh yeah, also 15 mins till my birthday *****es

jdmEviL8 Feb 8, 2011 07:23 AM

Happy b day dood!

fuzzydoodle Feb 8, 2011 07:29 AM

I agree with what he said.

josel_atr Feb 8, 2011 07:46 AM

happy beerday.

go for aem gauges, like a boss!

lancerstud2008 Feb 8, 2011 09:23 AM

Derek plz see TBR!

4bangn Feb 8, 2011 09:26 AM

had my prosport for a few years now, no complaints, there a good gauge for the money

oldskoopimpn Feb 8, 2011 10:08 AM

I've had my prosport gauges now for about a year. No complaints here either. For the money they are a decent gauge

Aaron20 Feb 8, 2011 10:14 AM

Happy b'day and I recommend AEM, they move (the sweeping needles) alot and light up alot!

Dallas J Feb 8, 2011 10:50 AM

Ive had autometer, greddy, and aem analog gauges. I like both the AEM and Greddy gauges. The AEM's give you a 0-5v output I'm working on the scaling to run to the ECU in the MDP and Rear o2 sensor for boost and wideband respectively.

F0RSAKEN Feb 8, 2011 01:04 PM

Seriously guy, save up and buy something other than prosport. AEM's are nice for the price.

drocksmash Feb 8, 2011 01:20 PM

Ill check out AEM, someone pmmed me and might know someone parting out some defi

is there an install difference between defi and others?

spdngdragon Feb 8, 2011 01:52 PM

Happy birthday! Hope it's a great one.

Not sure if this helps ....<link>

I think I remember a thread in the general section too..

lloyd03oz Feb 8, 2011 02:04 PM

what do you guys think about the glowshift gauges?

Dallas J Feb 8, 2011 02:20 PM

Cheap junk imo. They may work "ok" but Id seriously question their accuracy. If you have a 3bar sensor and just want something you can look at on the fly I guess they'd work.

F0RSAKEN Feb 8, 2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by lloyd03oz (Post 9059372)
what do you guys think about the glowshift gauges?

Defi/Greddy/Blitz/AEM/Zeitronix > Prosport > Autometer > Glowshift

Sir Kyle Feb 8, 2011 08:04 PM

I've had a couple Prosports for a couple years now. I like them and they work well. I just can't read them in the day time, they look great at night though. The install is really easy because if you have more than one they can "daisy chain" together so you're only running 1 power source.

That being said. They're paired with an AEM wideband; I want to replace the Prosports w/ AEM gauges.

*.jdmevo8.* Feb 8, 2011 11:44 PM

I'm running autometer and they work just fine. I would like to go aem but I'm broke :lol:

F0RSAKEN Feb 9, 2011 01:05 AM

I just wish Defi would get with the program and release a boost gauge that read to 50psi, and an wideband. I'm brand loyal, and I like it when things match.

M8NSTER Feb 9, 2011 07:54 AM

I had Glowshift in my old VR6, and they weren't too good (tho it's nice to change the color of the LEDs)

I have AEM wideband and boost now and love them.

If I changed them, it would only be for Defi. Cause they are just puuuuuuuurdy:lol:

D Grade Feb 9, 2011 08:15 AM

My car came with an AEM UEGO and a cheapo Autometer boost gauge. After hooking up my EBC with boost/vacuum readout, I found out my mechanical autometer boost gauge is about -3 psi off. As they say, you get what you pay for.

The Defi BF Links are money (which Im going with), but why not looking into the non-link Defi's? I think they're about $100 cheaper and dont require a control box (I believe). The amber ones are very nice and match perfect, just like the Links.

You MIGHT get lucky and find the old Defi mechanicals around. I had them in my 1GB Talon and loved em'.

josel_atr Feb 9, 2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8Monster (Post 9061509)
I had Glowshift in my old VR6, and they weren't too good (tho it's nice to change the color of the LEDs)

I have AEM wideband and boost now and love them.

If I changed them, it would only be for Defi. Cause they are just puuuuuuuurdy:lol:

angie?

yehh men AEM all the way. trade mine for your stock ones + driver side a pillar and call it a day.

M8NSTER Feb 9, 2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by josel_atr (Post 9061606)
angie?

yehh men AEM all the way. trade mine for your stock ones + driver side a pillar and call it a day.

No, Angie is hoooooooooooooot {thumbup}

I don't have stock gauges, but she does.

josel_atr Feb 9, 2011 08:39 AM

haha purdy is something angie would say from her lingo :P

the trade offer is for derek. he told me hes not sure what to get though.

yahu Feb 9, 2011 02:17 PM

AEM for me too. I even got the add-on for the boost gauge so I can read real boost! :p

Happy b-lated, Derek. I guess I wasn't on at all yesterday. :(

lloyd03oz Feb 10, 2011 12:25 PM

is it worth getting gauges just to have and drive around town? I want them cause they look sweet

jdmEviL8 Feb 10, 2011 01:24 PM

in an evo, especially a TUNED evo, id say its a must to have at least a wideband and boost gauge... i watched my wideband more then the road while putting around town lol

hang187 Feb 10, 2011 05:18 PM

Same here!

Originally Posted by oldskoopimpn (Post 9058621)
I've had my prosport gauges now for about a year. No complaints here either. For the money they are a decent gauge

4G63kevin Feb 10, 2011 05:28 PM

I'm not a fan of Autometer. I'd go with Defi's if I had the money. Currently, I'm on the stock MR oil temp and volt gauge plus a VMR 40mm mech. boost gauge I got off ebay. lol So far so good. :)

drocksmash Feb 10, 2011 08:50 PM

So the guy never pmmed me back about the defi.. but I really like those

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...Q5fAccessories

seems pretty decent, I guess ill start piecing them together.... And I am thinking about getting them in my a pillar because I dont want to have the hassle of removing the 9 gauges and moving radio... seems kind of pointless, plus I like the A pillar look.

How many gauges can be installed? right now i have 2 boost gauges (stock 9 and one on steering wheel)

Ill probably just rip the 9 set out, and fill it with a pocket... and put nothing there.

Anything I should lookout for buying used gauges?

josel_atr Feb 11, 2011 07:32 AM

make sure they come with complete hardware needed for the install.

imo, its better if you get them all together at the same time. you get more value for your money. also, you can have as many gauges as you want. its your car.

i like the gauges mounted on the a pillar too:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

drocksmash Feb 21, 2011 08:49 AM

Ok so I have decided, I am going to get prosport... was set on defi for a while ... but im not willing to drop that $$ there. I have spent many hours comparing, and there seems to be an equal amount of people complaining about prosports as well as defi.

From their website, premium 60mm black faced gauges
1 Amber/White Premium 60mm Electric Boost gauge $88.50
1 Amber/White Premium 60mm Oil Pressure Gauge $110.00
1 Amber/White Premium 60mm Water Temperature $77.50

so 276$.

*edit*
spoke to customer service,
"Derek,

you will also need a M20x1.5 oil adapter plate

and a water adapter plate 34mm

here is the links. http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx
http://prosportgauges.com/water-temp...e-adaptor.aspx

Everything comes with a 1 year warranty "

The real question is install. Damian said he would in 6 weeks, I may not be patient enough for that. What kind of shop would you trust to install gauges? I cant really imagine driving down to ER for this.

If anyone knows any shop (or person for that matter) that can do it please lmk.

drocksmash Feb 22, 2011 05:10 PM

Only shop that has been recommended wants 180 for the install

Does that sound about accurate?
seems a little high but im not sure

hang187 Feb 22, 2011 08:52 PM

Their very easy to install it yourself. I did all 3 of my gauges, it just takes time. the instrustions that came with my prosports were easy to follow.

Originally Posted by drocksmash (Post 9094667)
Ok so I have decided, I am going to get prosport... was set on defi for a while ... but im not willing to drop that $$ there. I have spent many hours comparing, and there seems to be an equal amount of people complaining about prosports as well as defi.

From their website, premium 60mm black faced gauges
1 Amber/White Premium 60mm Electric Boost gauge $88.50
1 Amber/White Premium 60mm Oil Pressure Gauge $110.00
1 Amber/White Premium 60mm Water Temperature $77.50

so 276$.

*edit*
spoke to customer service,
"Derek,

you will also need a M20x1.5 oil adapter plate

and a water adapter plate 34mm

here is the links. http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx
http://prosportgauges.com/water-temp...e-adaptor.aspx

Everything comes with a 1 year warranty "

The real question is install. Damian said he would in 6 weeks, I may not be patient enough for that. What kind of shop would you trust to install gauges? I cant really imagine driving down to ER for this.

If anyone knows any shop (or person for that matter) that can do it please lmk.

drocksmash Feb 23, 2011 08:03 PM

^thank you for the info... I am going to try it myself.

You guys sick of me yet?

Here is my latest issue.

Buying the three gauges i want, boost, oil pres, water temp in the premium gauges (have peak/warn) = 271 before shipping

buying the three in the performance type (no peak/warn) it is 176 before shipping. 100$ difference, when I have lived this long without the peak setting, I wonder if I would really use it?

If my boost is off a few psi oh well.. ill monitor the oil pres, wont need an alert.

meh... the decisions that need to be made!

Side note, I ordered my 3 gauge 60mm a pillar pod, at least one thing has been checked off

Sir Kyle Feb 23, 2011 08:41 PM

It's a good idea to have the alert of the oil pressure. Quick reactions to total loss of pressure can save your motor. Just be sure to wire it up to the right power source so it comes on when the key is at ON. Or when you just use the ACCESSORY it will not get a pressure signal and the alarm will constantly go off. It gets annoying when you just want to listen to the radio.

drocksmash Feb 23, 2011 08:46 PM

ok perhaps ill get the alert version for just that gauge.

D Grade Feb 23, 2011 09:23 PM

Definitly just install yourself, Derek. Guages are pretty simple. I actually considered ditching my Defi's for Prosports. Cheaper, I still need the control unit (which is as much as one prosport gauge of my choice) and a boost gauge (as much as your total price for all your gauges). I've got other mod cravings to attent to.

Hey Josel, what A pillar pod is that? I bought a Glow Shift one in gray but its a lil too shiney and doesnt look right. Might respray it or something but yours looks good.

F0RSAKEN Feb 23, 2011 09:58 PM

Someone makes an OE fit a-pilla pod. I have one somewhere lol. It matches the interior pretty good.

josel_atr Feb 24, 2011 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by D Grade (Post 9103723)
Hey Josel, what A pillar pod is that? I bought a Glow Shift one in gray but its a lil too shiney and doesnt look right. Might respray it or something but yours looks good.

its this one:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=181&page=1

are we still talking about these derek? just get aem's and diy, call it a day.

im sure a lot of guys here can give you a hand with the install. its pretty straight forward.

jdmEviL8 Feb 24, 2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by drocksmash (Post 9099440)
Only shop that has been recommended wants 180 for the install

Does that sound about accurate?
seems a little high but im not sure

Was it VTR that quoted you? Id back them up because they installed Sassaphrass's gauges and they are prosports as well, and last time I was there, they were working on a STY doing a custom gauge install. Very clean work and honest guys {thumbup}

drocksmash Feb 24, 2011 08:58 AM

Bought that A pillar last night, I think I am going to get em and wait for dkc to help ill pay him to teach me lol