Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

Very plain, slow, semi-black 2000 GT (AKA "Where O' where, has my 3G gone?" 56k=no)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very plain, slow, semi-black 2000 GT (AKA "Where O' where, has my 3G gone?" 56k=no)

Well, been a member here for a while lurking and buying up parts so I guess I will post it up now. It's not an Evo, although it is trying to be in many ways. It's a sentimental thing as it's my first car. You might not be able to tell by the pictures, but I really don't care about looks as one will see, but about performance. It's not fast, nor will it ever be, but it most definitely turns, thanks to John Mueller and his entire team. Essentially the only fully Muellerized 3G in the country as they had the car for multiple months, in fact he mentioned people stopped by and asked "What the hell is that car doing in your shop?"

Anyways, the below is mostly a copy from Club 3G where I have been a member for over a decade (Ouch) and the car is coming up on 11 years old (Double ouch). But no major problems in the last 180k miles (Axle, crank position sensor)

Enjoy! (There are a lot of pictures of where I have taken my car all over the US in the link. Click Or don't)

------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by MCMike37
I figure since you probably won't ever see my car much different appearance-wise then it is now, I can at least wow you with some places its been. They are all at the bottom. As well you can see many of them all in in my album, The Black Thing. All of the pictures are on my PBase account at The 3G Diary

The car is now over ten years old (Built in June 2000), which in of itself is pretty darn scary and surprising.

The most up to date pictures.

Purple Coils = :yesway:

Better Purple Coils

New Seats = :yesway:

As far as mods go, all the below were bought used off Club 3G members and other places
  • AEM CAI - from some Stratus guy on here around 2003
  • Hy-Tech Headers - from Himmad
  • EVO VIII front Brembos - from PharmEcis
  • Ingalls Stiffy - from timster2833
  • Front and read motor mounts - from 04GSCT
  • ST Sway Bar - Can't remember back in 2003
  • RRE Strut Bar - Can't remember back in 2003
  • Muellerized JIC FLT-A2 - from Matt
  • Evo IX GSR rims - from a neon guy off Evolution.net
  • 6xEvo VIII rims – 2 separate guys off Evolution.net
  • Infinity Perfect Components and Kappa 6x9's - from a guy way back in 2001 that sold his 3G for a M3
  • Kenwood KAC-8402 - from the king Mini **** himself.
  • Random other crap amp to drive the Bazooka (Killed the internal amp) - Can't remember
  • Alpine CDA-7898 HU (It was the top of the line they offered about three years ago) - from cory
  • JDM Alpine EQ, no kidding bought it from a guy in Japan, not off the club, but still not new)
  • New fog lights to replace my busted ones - from bushldobish
  • Aluminum gas cap bought off totaled 3G around 2002 or so
  • Evo VIII Recaro seats - Bought used off Craigslist

Things I actually bought brand new
  • Custom exhaust by Muellerized, 2 mufflers and a resonator
  • Centric rotors up front with Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads
  • Many different tires, current daily drivers are Hankook 255/40/17 on VIII's (Fuzion 235/45/17 and some type of 245/45/17 on other sets)
  • Centerforce Clutch Kit
  • Zeitronix ZT-2
  • ES Bushings everywhere
  • Ex-Powered 10" Bazooka off eBay
  • Custom front air dam
  • A few other small things inside (Power inverter, gloss black painting, etc.)

Ex parts you will see in some of the pictures
  • Kosei 17" rims - from some SoCal EVO guy J.R. knew
  • Drilled and slotted rotors (Not really a mod) and stainless brake lines
  • Nakayama Phantom GTR 18" Rims (Meridian Pictures)
  • KYB/AGX Combo from Sam (Meridian Pictures)
  • Kenwood eXcelon kdc-x815
  • Custom 2.5" Magnaflow catback - from WestWingsGT

I think that's just about it. As far as future plans go, I plan on driving this thing until it dies.

So here are a few places my car has been...
And for the full fun that Mueller did....

Originally Posted by MCMike37

And yes, before you comment, it will be fixed. It's a DSM thing. (And yes, I know, don't comment on that either) Most of what they did is stuff you won't be able to see. I'll have to see if they got pictures of the exhaust when it was on the lift as it is an utter piece of art.

And here is some of what was on the invoice and what the incredible guys at Muellerized did.
  • EXHAUST - HEADERS:
    Tied up lines and cleaned up engine bay
    Extended lower O2 sensors to fit to bungs
    Mocked up O2 bung placement for top sensors + EGT
    Retapped rear O2 bung on header as it was stripped
    Drilled and tapped holes for O2 bungs on customer supplied headers
    Drilled and tapped hole for EGT Sensor
    Welded O2 bungs and EGT Sensor
    Added bung for Wideband O2 in end of header
    Cut downpipe springs to fit correctly
    Installed customer supplied headers multiple times for mocking up the 4 x O2 bungs and fitment as they had multiple fitment issues which we addressed.
    Wrap customer supplied headers in heat wrap at customer request
  • EXHAUST - CAT BACK:
    Mock up/Fabricate 3" exhaust from customer supplied headers
    back, remove to paint exhaust black, install 3" exhaust.
    Steel O2 Bung
  • BRAKES:
    Remove stock front brake calipers and rotors, clean customer supplied Evo Brembo brakes, install Brembo brakes with customer supplied centric rotors with Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads.
  • ENGINE:
    Remove radiator, replace upper and lower radiator hoses, replace thermostat, re-install radiator
    Disconnect wire harness, remove intake manifold
    Diagnose both valve covers leak. Remove rear valve cover, remove old valve cover gasket, install new valve cover gasket and spark plug hole gaskets, reinstall rear valve cover
    Remove front valve cover, remove old valve cover gasket, install new valve cover gasket and spark plug hole gaskets, reinstall rear valve cover
    Gap and install new spark plugs
    Replace throttle body coolant hoses
    Replace heater hoses (inlet/outlet)
    Change Motor Oil and Filter
    Install Air Filter
    Change Coolant
    Heater hose input/output kit
    Throttle Body Coolant Hose
    Throttle Body Coolant Hose
    2.75 DRYFLOW AIR FILTER SHORT NECK 5" ELEMENT
    Lower Radiator Hose
    Upper Radiator Hose
    Cylinder Head Seal
    Rocker Cover Gasket
    Plenum gasket for intake manifold
    Hose Clamp for Radiator Hose
  • TRANSMISSION:
    Drain transmission fluid, remove transmission, clean transmission bell housing, install resurfaced flywheel and customer supplied Centerforce Clutch Kit, regrease push rod + fork, replace throwout bearing with ACT throwout bearing, reinstall transmission, fill transmission with Redline MT90
    Resurface Flywheel
  • SUSPENSION AND RELATED:
    Remove both front lower control arms, replace both lower ball joints, (one customer supplied one purchased from Muellerized, had to press out customer supplied ball joint as it was missing the snap-ring), installed front control arm bushings, re-install front lower control arms
    Removed rear control arms and press old bushings out, press new Energy Suspension Bushings in, reinstall rear control arms
    Replace driver's side tie rod end
    Remove driver side hub, disconnect ABS sensor (siezed in hub), press out wheel bearing due to it being seized by rust, grind off rust and clean hub to accept new wheel bearing, install customer supplied new wheel bearing, re-attach ABS sensor and re-install driver side hub.
  • Remove customer's JIC coilovers for inspection, clean off the caked on dirt, disassemble, replace all four blown dampers, modify front spring perches to utilize Eibach springs, reassemble with front struts using Eibach ERS prings and install customer's JIC coilovers.
    Cycle suspension to measure/create clearance for customer supplied wheel/tire package to rear fenders and any applicable suspension components
    Modify customer supplied front camber plates for additional negative camber
    Lubricate Rear Anti-Roll Bar Bushings
    4 wheel alignment
    Front Control Arm Bushings
    Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Set - Evo 8/9
    PCMK7449 (ball joint)
    JIC Dust Boots
    Rear JIC Damper
    Front JIC Damper
    Eibach ERS Spring
    NOTE: To run 255 tires, must run 3mm spacer in order for the tire to clear the control arms in the rear
  • ELECTRICAL:
    Install customer supplied Zeitronix ZT-2 LCD
  • MISCELLANEOUS:
    Wash engine bay and underside of car in order to be able to work on the engine and fender areas
    Hand wash car
    Test Drive car a bajillion times - NO CHARGE
  • Charged battery a million times, diagnose dead battery
    Removed original battery, installed new Prostart battery, modified Evo battery tie-down to fit on car
    Prostart Platinum Battery
    Battery Post Washers and Terminal Protect Grease
    Used Evo Battery Tie-Down

Last edited by MCMike37; May 20, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:21 PM

i seriously cant believe i just read this.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. My 3G, it was my first new car. I can't believe my Club3G login still works. I use to lurk those forums for years!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by enash99
i seriously cant believe i just read this.
Why is that?
Originally Posted by EEVOH
Looks great. My 3G, it was my first new car. I can't believe my Club3G login still works. I use to lurk those forums for years!
Yup, it's my first new car, and well, still my only car ever. What can I say, almost 190k miles with no major issues, best car I have owned by far
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:38 PM

Not to bump an old thread, but that 3G is sexy ;]
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks, goes to show it's not always about the looks of a car

Ok, it's still slow and a POS, but it's a lot of fun to drive even after all these years...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:21 PM

I love my 3G too. I'm lurking these forums to build my 16g. The market place here is awesome.