Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

16g 4g64 Evo built thread - 3G Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16g 4g64 Evo built thread - 3G Eclipse

I am new to EvolutionM, however I have been trolling here for a while. I am a member of Club3G and have been collecting parts for a 16g Evo build for a few months now. I am down to the last few parts I need, but even before I put this in I am doing an auto to manual trans swap with a quaiffe LSD and rebuilding the internals of my 2.4L 4g64 motor.

After this build and after I get a small taste of power (only looking to do 300-350 whp FWD from 130 WHP stock) I will do the 4g63 DOHC head swap, Evo 8 trans and 2g Eclipse GSX AWD conversion and shoot for 500+ WHP. I know this seems like a lot and even a waste of $ but I want a different 3G and I have emotional ties to my car. Probably will get an Evo X in the future as a DD. Thanks for looking.

Here is what I have so far:

Manual swap and 16g build parts collections are complete :woot:

Here is where everything hibernates till I finally have time to put it all in. It sucks that after a year of collecting I finally have everything but don't have time

Here are the parts for the trans swap:

I4 Manual trans with under 40k miles and a Quaiffe LSD with under 8k on it (3k with this trans). Rust is minimal and yes it is grimy but nothing a bit of engine degreaser won't fix. Am contemplating a fresh coat of high heat silver before I install it.

OEM Flywheel and ACT Street Disk Clutch with 3k miles

Brake and Clutch pedals with pigtails and OEM manual trans mount (will have a prothane insert when the time comes)

Clutch fluid resivior, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and all fluid lines (I plan on using redline clutch fluid)

Shifter base with Megan Racing Short Shifter and ES Shifter Base Bushings, and Shifter cables with Speed Source brass shifter bushings

Not pictured are the Evo 8 ECU to be reflashed with Tephra's or TX4Codeman's 2003+ Manual I4 ROM and the manual 03+ guage cluster

Finally here are up-to-date pics of my 16g build parts:

I will be using the Megan header, with the 10.5 Evo 9 hotside on the left and the no shaft play, already ground compressor on the right, Megan o2 housing and 2 1/2" spacers

Next

Evo 8/9 Injen solid pipe kit with OEM J-pipe, OEM intercooler couplers and a Greddy Type-RS BOV

Next

OEM Evo 8 intercooler

OEM 6g72 Throttle Body

OEM GS fuel pump basket assembly, OEM Evo 8/9 wire harness clips, Evo 8 560 cc injectors, Walboro 255 fuel pump and DSM injector resistor pack

Next

OEM Evo 8 fuel rail and FPR

40" SS 4AN to m12x1.25 banjo oil feed, 17" 10AN oil return (will be cut shorter), and 2 10" 6AN nipple fittings to m14x1.5 banjo bolt water lines

Next

OEM 4G64 oil pan with a welded on 10AN oil return fitting

Evo 8/9 GrimmSpeed EBCS with OEM Evo pigtail to be connected to the ECU for ECU controlled boost and Omni Bar 4 MAP sensor

3 Evo 8 4g63 header gaskets, header to hotside gasket, o2 housing gasket, compressor to j-pipe gasket and oil return gasket, all OEM

My current goal is to get 300WHP with a manual trans (to be swapped in place of my auto) and my current 4g64 rebuilt. I am looking at the 4g63 head swap and that may be a possibility way down the road.

Last edited by Drewski0523; Jul 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
da'am some nice stuff their piled up.. ill be watchin this for sho
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
da'am some nice stuff their piled up.. ill be watchin this for sho
Thanks man. It is definitely going to take some time though. Swapping the trans hopefully in the early spring, then rebuilding the engine, then the turbo setup. Goal is to have it on the road, tuned and fully functioning by fall 2012
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:51 PM

Then u only get 2 months to drive it b4 we all die :/
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:30 AM

Good point
Old Jan 4, 2012, 01:49 PM

hey i'm also doing a evo 8 head swap.. and I've ran into a bit of a problem...

on the "evo 8 head swap parts list" it says to use the Evo 8 timing belt with a part number #MD326059, i just recently bought a 4g63 and 4g64 engine book and it says that with doing the evo 8 head swap you use a different timing belt and it specifically says do not use the evo 8 timing belt that it's too short, you gotta use a dohc 4g64 timing belt with the part number #MD182292...

have you already installed your timing belt? does the evo 8 one work fine? do your timing marks match up?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:13 AM

Haven't done the head swap yet, don't know if I'll do it soon after the build as my goal is to have the turbo on the 64 SOHC for a little before I pull the trigger in the swap. However on C3G members always use the Evo belt with no problems. To include the people who do the Kia or Hyundai N/A head swap.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4g64t_dohc
hey i'm also doing a evo 8 head swap.. and I've ran into a bit of a problem...

on the "evo 8 head swap parts list" it says to use the Evo 8 timing belt with a part number #MD326059, i just recently bought a 4g63 and 4g64 engine book and it says that with doing the evo 8 head swap you use a different timing belt and it specifically says do not use the evo 8 timing belt that it's too short, you gotta use a dohc 4g64 timing belt with the part number #MD182292...

have you already installed your timing belt? does the evo 8 one work fine? do your timing marks match up?
you should use the stock 4g64 belt 63 belts are one tooth short and will have to be stretched to fit and in some cases parts of the tensioner etc will have to be ground off the stock 64 belt for a 94 eclipse is a quality belt and will work fine for the application new part number for this belt is MD331076... the number you have MD182xxxx is correct however it has been relabeled.

you will also need adjustable timing gears to make the hybrid build work as the higher deck height will throw each cam off 1/2 a tooth (3.75 degrees)

if you guys have any questions let me know im currently doing my hybrid build and putting my long block together as we speak can also link you to my build thread or give pics if you need anything!

good luck with the build
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:47 AM

Thanks stanlsha, I will definately let you know if I need anything.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:19 AM

just use the belt for a 94 galant gs it was a dohc 4g64 the belt works perfect
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the tip, Im still going to do this build but it will have to be on hold for a while for personal issues. I have all the parts to slap it on but waiting on some other big mods to do this right. All the parts are in storage at the moment
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:37 PM

Update:

Grabbed a 6 port vacuum manifold, Evo 9 16g turbo with a 10.5 hotside, Megan Racing turbo header mani, Greddy Type RS BOV, DSM fuel resistor and a new AEM wideband.

Currently looking for a tactrix 1.3 cable and 4 Evo style injector harness clips with pigtails from a part out. 3G eclipse style are the wrong shape/don't fit
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

looks good man you may want to consider upgrading the 16g to say a 20 or 25g as they tend to run out of breath quickly with the 2.4s i have recently built a custom 25g for my 2.4 if you want any details on doing something like that i can help you out maybe something to consider as it is relatively cheap

good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

also i just saw that you will be running an oil feed line i assume from the oil filter housing? if so you will need to make or buy an inline restrictor for that setup otherwise you will flood the bearings in your turbo if you need info on that i have recently done that as well so let me know!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by stanlsha
looks good man you may want to consider upgrading the 16g to say a 20 or 25g as they tend to run out of breath quickly with the 2.4s i have recently built a custom 25g for my 2.4 if you want any details on doing something like that i can help you out maybe something to consider as it is relatively cheap

good luck!
Thanks man. I will look into this down the road as with my car I'm going to work my way up; low boost on the 4g64 SOHC and the 16g, rebuild another 4g64 with the 63 DOHC head swap with high boost on the 16g, then get a bigger turbo. And eventually a 2g Eclipse GSX/Evo 8-9 AWD conversion with a Shepard rebuilt trans and an even bigger turbo.

One step at a time

Originally Posted by stanlsha
also i just saw that you will be running an oil feed line i assume from the oil filter housing? if so you will need to make or buy an inline restrictor for that setup otherwise you will flood the bearings in your turbo if you need info on that i have recently done that as well so let me know!
Yes that is how I will be running it, the Eclipse guys know about the oil flooding/leaking. I have the banjo style bolt and we have discovered that that provides enough restriction to prevent leaks. The last 2 builds on C3G have done this with no leaks yet. I will definately keep the inline restrictor in mind. Thanks a lot, you are a huge help and I will definately be sending some questions your way when they arise.

Quick Reply: 16g 4g64 Evo built thread - 3G Eclipse