Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

Engine/Gearbox Questions for 93-95 lancer

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine/Gearbox Questions for 93-95 lancer

Hi guys, Fist post here and first time looking at doing anything to my Lancer.

It all started when my Toyota daily car was defected off the road for having a smashed headlight, Instead of fixing it i decided to buy a cheap car and work on my Toyota to get it to the show car state i want it in. Currently that work is ongoing and the car i brought to use as a daily driver is a 1995 Lancer CC (Australian Model) 2 Door Coupe. What i know about the engine is its Carby not EFI and is SOHC so I'm assuming its the 4G15 engine.

Currently the Lancer Clutch has had it and the gearbox is on its way out with 3rd gear gone.

i have found a cheap 1993 Lancer CC 4 Door. The engine doesn't run (no spark apparently) now from what i can tell the engine is EFI and SOHC which i believe to be a 4G92? (Will get a pic of the engine bay if that helps)

Basically the Primary goal is to try get the engine to work and if that fails migrate the Carby engine in to the 4 Door Lancer Shell with new gearbox and clutch if that will work? Ive read around and seems the Gearbox from 4G93 and 4G15 are interchangeable.
If that cannot be done due to engine mounting issues or something way out of reach, i would just end up getting the gearbox out and moving it to my current Lancer to get that going again and end up with a spare Rolling shell and buggered engine to sell off or something.

Any info or ideas on what can be done or wont work would be a great deal of help and be muchly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Image of the Lancer's Engine I'm looking to buy...

Image of my current Lancer's Engine

Last edited by tylerrice; May 27, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
You can usually find the engine number on the block, near where it attaches to the bell housing on the side toward the radiator.

Both cars came with 4G15 or 4G92 engines depending on the trim level, so I do not see why they would not bolt in with the correct mounts.

I'd try to get the 4G92 going if money is not a major concern. I've had a 4G92 and a 4G15 and at full tilt the 4G15 feels agricultural, whereas the 4G92 was always ready and able to fly.

Good luck, keep posting as you progress.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:19 AM

Ok cool well hopefully i pick this up in the next week time frame, Spoke to the owner of the car and said the engine and gearbox was just put in from another car and hasn't had it working since but was working fine in the other one... so that could be positive that its just a wiring or electrical as it wont get any spark.. or it could just be a white lie and the engine is rooted XD let hope for the more positive one

**Edit**

Could anyone point me to some progress threads or write ups that involve this engine swap please, as i look around not much jumps out at me. Thanks

Last edited by tylerrice; May 28, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:14 PM

see if the 4g15 is locked up or if the motor can turn. that should give you a basic idea if the motor is at least worth compression testing and then trying to figure out the spark problem.