Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

'01 Eclipse Project

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went back and read the backstory... what the !@^*(&!@ ...your brother reminds me of one of my friends who blew his head gasket too...hard-headed.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by lew-e
I sold my 2002 gt eclipse for the evo downpayment. Don't get me wrong, I Love my evo, but everyday I miss that eclipse. Great car, fun to work on, and a pretty good group of guys on club3g. I was debating (for all of 5 minutes) whether or not to sell it for the evo or just ripp supercharge it. Or just put in the 4g engine

Love seeing these things built! If I ever get a chance I would love to pick up another one for a fun little project. Best of luck amigo!
Thanks! I appreciate it. And I'll probably need all the luck I can get. I orderd an Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, and O2 pipe from a guy on here. He told me he shipped it on the 6th. But I never got a tracking number and I still havent gotten the package... Im getting quite aggravated.

But yea I use Club3G all the time as reference, and learning material. People have done crazy stuff to these cars. A lot of them have been doing AWD swaps now. And There is one guy who had a GT. He twin turbo'd it, then swapped to the newer V6 from the 4G, twin turbo'd the new motor, then AWD swapped it. A 3G Eclipse with a 4G twin turbo'd V6 motor and an Evo AWD system. Insanity... lol Id love to do something like that but I want to get this build out of the way first hahaha!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kapitolralliart
Good luck with this man...on top of seeing the motor built...i'm eager to see how you would work those hood vents

Went back and read the backstory... what the !@^*(&!@ ...your brother reminds me of one of my friends who blew his head gasket too...hard-headed.
Thanks a lot! Im sure I'll need it. Im still debating between which vents I'd rather put on the eclipse Evo X vents or an Evo 8/9 vent...

Yea... I dont understand my brother... He blew the eclipse, blew the jeep, and I am afraid he is going to blow his S10 sooner or later. He revs everything too much. Soon as he starts up his truck it sounds like he revs it up to 4-5k, then every time he shifts he sounds like he is near redline in that little thing. I mean thats fine occasionally, but he does it all the time at every single gear. and then he barely takes care of the things... Ive tried to teach him, but he just doesnt listen...
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Thanks! I appreciate it. And I'll probably need all the luck I can get. I orderd an Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, and O2 pipe from a guy on here. He told me he shipped it on the 6th. But I never got a tracking number and I still havent gotten the package... Im getting quite aggravated.

But yea I use Club3G all the time as reference, and learning material. People have done crazy stuff to these cars. A lot of them have been doing AWD swaps now. And There is one guy who had a GT. He twin turbo'd it, then swapped to the newer V6 from the 4G, twin turbo'd the new motor, then AWD swapped it. A 3G Eclipse with a 4G twin turbo'd V6 motor and an Evo AWD system. Insanity... lol Id love to do something like that but I want to get this build out of the way first hahaha!
Holy ****!! Seriously?? Gaaaah that's gotta be expensive, but Soooo fun! That would be one project I would love to have
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I got my money back from my attempted turbo purchase. So I am officially back on the market for that again.

I now have all the intercooler piping, intake pipe, injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, injector resistor pack.

Im ordering a Walbro 255 fuel pump this evening. And trying to work out the purchase of a tubular exhaust manifold so that I can have it extended instead of using spacers, or angled spacers to get the compressor housing away from the starter. Oh and a Greddy oil sandwich adapter to feed the turbo oil.

I'll try to take some pictures this evening.

Last edited by bakuro117; Sep 30, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^ What do you mean by to get the turbo away from the compressor housing ???????
Isn't the compressor housing an integral part of the turbo ????
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

LMAO! whoops. Typo. I meant to say get the compressor housing away from the starter on the 4G64! My bad I'll fix it. :P
Old Oct 7, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Got my Walbro 255 in the mail the other day.

10.5 Turbo should be on its way. Along with the oil filter sandwich plate to feed the turbo.

Im really slacking on these pictures Im sorry. LOL Ive been trying to get my garage in order so I can pull the car in there for the winter.

We are getting close to having a turbo'd eclipse now though. All the pieces are nearly together. I'll just need to do all the manual labor then begin the tuning process. Im getting really excited!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LMAO! whoops. Typo. I meant to say get the compressor housing away from the starter on the 4G64! My bad I'll fix it. :P
Ok, I was hoping that's what you meant.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Ok... I know Ive been terrible about not posting pictures. So here are a few pictures of all the turbo stuff I have collected so far. The new 10.5 turbo, J pipe, and lines should be arriving tomorrow. I'll snap some pictures of it then.

Groups shot

Lower intercooler piping, and Intercooler still wrapped up from shipping

Upper Intercooler piping, BOV

Exhaust manifold, Intake Pipe, and BOV

Greddy Oil Sandwich Adapter to feed turbo

Fuel Rail and fuel pressure regulator, 560cc Injectors, Injector Resistor Pack, and Walbro 255 fuel pump

Last edited by bakuro117; Oct 9, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Uh-oh.... What's this we got here? I think s#!7 just got real son!!! :P

Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Let the fun begin!

Well with some major help from my dad over the last couple weeks we got my garage cleaned out and mostly setup. Just some minor organizational things left to do. Tonight we finally got the Eclipse dragged indoors! So this payday I am going to pick up a good hydraulic jack, and another set of jack stands so that I can get it up in the air. Then the rebuild will begin!

Pics cause I know everyone loves pics!

This picture turned out pretty dark for some reason. The garage is actually quite a bit brighter. You can see my craftsman bench and tool box right at the end of my custom worktable.

The motor stand in this pic will hopefully be holding my spare 4g69 soon. It will be getting some attention after the Eclipse is running again! Got an old PC setup out here too so I can have easy access to info when I need it. Just need to find a wireless card or run me an ethernet cord out to the garage now.

Bookshelf over there has a bunch of spare parts for the RA.

The pink box is now emptied and filled with all the go-fast bits for the eclipse and the box next to it contains my RA wing and some future projects for it. And you can see the Motegi's stacked up in the corner.

Its not the biggest garage but I'll make it work! Im pretty excited to actually get everything rolling now. I'll be spending a lot of nights out here working on it now.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

hey man! how's everything? it's been a while since i've been active here on evom as my girl and i recently adopted a 10-week-old kitten and we named her, Ahri (League of Legends fanboy & fangirl lmfao). i'll post pics of her posing with my RA in my RA thread (Tramp)

anyways! i can't wait to see the progress on your eclipse bro! this is gonna be a fun thread to follow i wish i lived closer, i would come and visit and help out and learn on-the-go
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Well its honestly been going rather slow. I've been pretty sickly for the last week and half now so I havent gotten to be out in the garage much. I am very near to pulling the head off and repairing the engine on the Eclipse. But I think Ive decided not to turbo it and just use it as my daily while I over haul and turbo the Ralliart. Im even thinking about getting a second job once the Eclipse is drivable so that I can make some extra money to put toward the RA. I have a LONG list of mods I would like to get done to it before next year's shootout. And I am going to be getting into racing with it next season, autocross and such. In fact I am going to a RallyCross tomorrow to see if that is something I would be interested in starting.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Well its honestly been going rather slow. I've been pretty sickly for the last week and half now so I havent gotten to be out in the garage much. I am very near to pulling the head off and repairing the engine on the Eclipse. But I think Ive decided not to turbo it and just use it as my daily while I over haul and turbo the Ralliart. Im even thinking about getting a second job once the Eclipse is drivable so that I can make some extra money to put toward the RA. I have a LONG list of mods I would like to get done to it before next year's shootout. And I am going to be getting into racing with it next season, autocross and such. In fact I am going to a RallyCross tomorrow to see if that is something I would be interested in starting.
woooot! your loyalty to our RAs is impeccable good choice bro! and yeah, check out my RA's thread (Tramp's thread) and you'll see the VRX i posted about. i want to be able to do that with my 2004 RA! soon man. just gotta get funds to start the fun we'll rallycross sometime in the future!!!

btw, hope you start feeling better! water is your ally when you're not feeling so well. flushes all the bad stuff out of your system! get well soon!

Quick Reply: '01 Eclipse Project