Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

Spool time getting longer HX40

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spool time getting longer HX40

I'm just worrying-
I have noticed that my spool time seems to be getting longer on my hx40 turbo yesterday during a drive. I'm trying to get some reasons why this might be. Also I'm not that experienced with boosted cars, my setup is less than a year old.

The story:
Yesterday it was about 80 degree's out. I'm driving around for fun and the car is doing great for the first half hour on some twisty roads. I start noticing the spool time is taking a little longer than it usually does and 2nd gear I'm not breaking traction as quickly as I was (FWD FTL).
My oil temp was around 200 degree's (brad penn oil) and my water temp was 180 degree's. Usually my oil temp sits at 190 degree's. Should I be concerned?

I figure the engine/air going through the system is just a lot hotter after I was driving for awhile. The inlet side of the intercooler was quite warm but the outlet was not cold. My IC pipes are mostly welded SS so my 5 boots that I do have are all sealed up tight, no boost leaks.

Setup details:
My operating oil pressure is between 10psi at idle at the pancake housing (same source as turbo), 70psi at 3000rpms, and 90lbs at 4000rpms. Oil restrictor from the 4an line is .07, return line is 10an. Holset super hx40 7 blade is brand new replacement turbo from holset factory.

Heat soak is all? Hoping something stands out to someone . Thank you!

Update without bumping thread:
The higher operating temp is causing slower spool times. I can drive it normal to bring the temps back down to 200 and it spools great again. I'm going to invest in additional cooling (oil cooler, proven intercooler instead of this punishment racing heat soaker). The 6g74 engine is such a heat generator lol.

Last edited by Keith6110; Jul 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Restrictor line was incorrect, .07 instead of .7